Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tired of the antenna making my car look like an RC car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of the antenna making my car look like an RC car

Is there a way to delete the antenna and replace it with something thats less of an eyesore?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM
-M-

what car do you have? If you only listen to the radio, install a shorty. if you dont listen to it often, install a trans am one so its down when your radio isnt used and your parked.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are hidden antennas you can mount inside the car that work quite well. An amplified Dakota antenna gets good reception. Of course you'd have to do something about the hole left in the quarter panel after removing the stock antenna.

OTOH, I always believe in function over form. I would never say "I don't like the way my wipers look, can I remove them?" How is a radio antenna much different? It's a functional piece of equipment not a styling statement. Nobody looking at your car is going to say "what an ugly antenna" - most people don't even notice.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Teching In

I have a Firebird so it is always up and to me it makes me i have the sunset orange so to me its real noticable
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Wire a switch inline with the pink wire in the radio harness where it connects to the headunit. The pink wire is the wire that tells the antenna to raise. If the wire i disconnected, the antenna will lower if it is up or stay down if its already down. That is why wiring in a switch works perfectly for this purpose.

Its simple, cut the pink wire and connect both ends to a switch. You might have to extend the wire to mount the switch where you like. When the switch is in the "ON" position and the radio is also "ON" (and in AM/FM mode if its an aftermarket radio), the antenna will be up. When the switch is in the "OFF" position the antenna will stay down (or go down if it is up) regardless of whether or not the radio is "ON" or set to AM/FM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by kvankirk
I have a Firebird so it is always up and to me it makes me i have the sunset orange so to me its real noticable
I like this. If you're going to have an antenna, instead of trying to hide it, make it stand out a ridiculous amount, and it may just be hidden in plain sight.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never liked them, on my previous Z I just cut the antenna to the same height as the roof of the car, and then put the ball point on that spot.

This other Z I've got came with it already removed. Didn't like it at first, but it's growing on me(probably one of those cases where it's cause it's yours)

Since yours is a power antenna, just cut the power, cap off the wiring, and throw a small antenna over it or something else that looks decent.

It was rusty looking, so I took it off and hit it with some flat black VHT paint I had lying around and looks good now.

Best pic I have at the moment, haven't taken any really up close to the antenna.

The front picture shows how unnoticeable the antenna is when just looking at the car.

Stock radio had pretty crappy reception with it though. Same night I came home with it I threw in my pioneer unit and it has no problem picking up any radio stations if it matters to you(I really only use my USB drive for music though)

Last edited by SSkull; 06-05-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, with XM radio and an iPod, I never listen to anything over-the-air again. I fully intend when I go to repaint my Z28 that I'll be deleting the antenna post entirely and fiberglassing over it.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually like look of the antenna myself.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

is there a way to put the camaro antenna instead of the trans am one . cause im sure the motor is out on mine and it never comes up. i hear it trying but it just stays down. i would like if it would just be up without the motor thing in there? anybody done that?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Shave it! https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...l#post16563766
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Panasonic head unit, took my antenna off one day and haven't put it back on yet. No issues what so ever with reception. I took a piece of rubber hose that fit perfectly over the stud and cut it so it sits flush. I had this weird little cap on in this pic but took it off. Works for me.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just cut my stock one down, works fine with my Alpine HU. I think I cut it down to 1/3rd of the stock height? It's been awhile, I don't really remember.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i have a formula and the power to it is disconnected , i have an ipod alpine hu and never listen to fm so it stays down all the time .

Quick Reply: Tired of the antenna making my car look like an RC car