Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

bose

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bose

can i put the bose setup in my 92 z28 it did not come with it it would be nice to add it
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry to be a hater but... I can think of a million combinations of readily available mobile audio components that would serve you better than "upgrading" to a Bose system. Please, please.... reconsider this idea.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Default 93

sorry its a 1993 camaro z28 im so use to my 92 lol can i set up the back of th car for the two exter bose spekers
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

I had the Bose in my 93. I yanked that out and replaced it with much better equipment.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Default ok

what im trying to ask is can i add them two back speker in and is there wireing there for them ? i would swap in better stuff?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Not a good idea. The Bose system required special wiring since each speaker had its own amp and they used common grounds rather than the floating grounds that almost everything else uses.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Default ok

so seting it up to be like the bose set up is a bad idea. i just want the two add speckers that dont have to be the oem's
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just tell us what HU you have now, what speaker positions and dimensions (6.5", 6"x9"?) are in the car, what has already been replaced, etc, how much you hope to spend, and we can give some recommendations. I'm not all that familiar with 3rd gens or pre-LS F-bodies in general.

Are you just trying to make the speakers work again? Or are you you hoping for a substantial improvement in sound quality?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Default mm

well its a stock 93 lt1 setup with out the bose i would like to add just the to back speckers in the hach but every thing is stock for now will be puting in new im just trying to find out if you can add in the two back speckers for the hach area thank you
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

In my opinion -

1) COMPLETELY forgot about the Bose.

2) Select a radio that has the features you want.

3) a) If you want to stay simple buy 4 coaxial 6 1/2's or 6 3/4's that has an rms rating of 35 or less using one in each door & one in each sail panel powering them from the radio.

b) If you want a more elaborate setup buy a set of 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components for the doors and use 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 coaxials in the sail panels powering them off the radio. It would be best to add an amp later on to maximize the potential of the components.

4) Later on if you want you can add a single subwoofer or possibly 2 subwoofers powering them with an amp.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

bose to expensive for what it is and alpine speakers are much better
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Also, forget about the hatch area. There are speakers there in newer f-bodies only for rear fill because the sail panels have subwoofers in them. Doors and sail panels are all you need.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Default mm ok

Im sorry I was in a trans am Lt1 car it had two speakers and it made me think that the camaro was the same way but after looking at the two camaros to day I saw they only have 5 speakers tops,now i have a question. I want to add the back
speaker or sub wofer,this is for my dad's car he is 51 still likes to go fast some times,I just want to put some nicer stuff/newer.I will not be using the stock head unit.Now my next question is,I can get the wiring,and all I got the back speaker
and panel for 10 bucks.I know the guy that owns the junkyard well his family.
But from what I read I may have gotten the wrong one,I got the one that has a one wire and they say that it is a 3 speaker setup,I don't see how it could be a 3 speaker set up could you please fiill me in.The 93 z28 is a planejane z28 and I just want to spiff it up some.I will not be using the stock head unit.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Earlier (LT1) Firebirds had two available audio systems. The base system had four full-range speakers in the doors and sail panels. The premium system was quite similar to the later Monsoon system with ten total speakers. They had components (woofer and tweeter) in the doors, subs in the sail panels, and components in the hatch area. That puts two speakers (not three) on each side in the back hatch area.

This is completely different from Camaros of the same period. The premium system in Camaros at the time was Bose. It had a special head unit that produced low-level, high-impedance output sent to either three or five (depending on model) speakers with integrated individual amps. None of the pieces from a Bose system are interchangeable with any Firebird configuration. Even the wiring is completely different because the Bose system used common ground but the Firebirds used floating ground.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Default ok

ok WhiteBird00 im trying to add the 5th speaker in the back what set up do i need for the camro i read from some of your post that the one wire is for a 3 wire setup hows that work and the two wire setup is for a 5 speaker? i have put the bose set up in older cars 82-92 camaros 5 of them for a guy that as all stock cars he has abotu 15 diff camaros and i have set up my 92 rs camaro with bose i fixed ll the amps its a pan in the a** so i would onely like to do the one back bose speaker thats white birs for the info you have gave me so far.

and on a side note WhiteBird00 do you happen to know myws6.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Am I correct that you have an LT1 Camaro with the base (4-speaker non-Bose) system and you want to add the rear sub from a Bose system?

It might be possible to use the pre-amp sub output of an aftermarket head unit to provide audio signal to the sub but I don't know how you get around the common ground vs. floating ground problem. There are adapters available that let you run Bose speakers off an aftermarket head unit but I don't know how you could mix standard speakers with a Bose sub. Besides, you'd get better sound by adding an aftermarket sub using a line out converter to get signal from the rear speakers.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone from these forums personally - at least nobody who has identified themselves by screen name. I've been to a few cruise-ins around town but was mostly ignored so I stopped going.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a whole lot more to wiring the Bose than it looks. The front 2 speakers in the doors have individual amps, but receive their signals from the rear sub/amp. The Bose harness is separate from the factory body harness, and it connects the rear amp/sub to all 5 speakers. There is also a relay for the amp that you'd have to wire in.

So no, it's not a directly easy swap in. If you pull all the wiring from a parts car it would be easier, but you have to know what you're looking for. Wiring diagrams help.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by abates
In my opinion -

1) COMPLETELY forgot about the Bose.

2) Select a radio that has the features you want.

3) a) If you want to stay simple buy 4 coaxial 6 1/2's or 6 3/4's that has an rms rating of 35 or less using one in each door & one in each sail panel powering them from the radio.

b) If you want a more elaborate setup buy a set of 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 components for the doors and use 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 coaxials in the sail panels powering them off the radio. It would be best to add an amp later on to maximize the potential of the components.

4) Later on if you want you can add a single subwoofer or possibly 2 subwoofers powering them with an amp.

I hope this helps.
At least do number 1 above.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a third gen package that is very nice to upgrade the stock stuff in your car. I had a 92 Trans Am GTA. This will fit in the stock locations:
http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
Just scroll to the bottom of the page. If you have the other system that had the upgraded ail panels with a 4x6" and a 5.25" sub I have something for that as well that will be a vast improvement over stock.
Shoot me an email: keeaudio@bellsouth.net
Old 09-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

My understanding is that this is for an early 4th generation. (first post says 92 but third post says 93)