Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock Alarm Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Alarm Problems.

Heres the problem. When i get out of my car and lock it. I go inside, go to bed. The damn alarm goes off, at 2 in the morning every night. Nobody is around to trip the alarm, it just goes off. Can I disable my stock alarm so I can get rid of this annoyance? Do I have it set in some different type of mode? Or what will fix it? I'm getting soo sick of it im ready to not lock it. Someone please help.
Oh one more problem. Sometimes when I close my doors my interior lights dont shut off. Yes i make sure the roller switch isnt all the way up. But the damn things still dont turn off, and sometimes when I roll my window down, the lights turn off. I think its the door sensor. Its the drivers side door that has the problem. Can you show me the pic of the door sensor to shut off the interior lights when you close the door? Anyone had this problem also? What did you do to fix it? Thanks for any responses!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The "door sensor" is a small switch located in the door jam. It looks like a nail sticking out.

The alarm issue could be any of the folowing (or others):
* battery that is dying
* faulty alarm module
* faulty shock sensor.
* bad grounds
* other bad connections
* somebody screwing with you

I have somewhere instructions on how to change the alarm settings. It's at home. I'll look for it and post it later.

--VIP1
Old 03-09-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the very informative response.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

VIP, couldn't the door switch be a culprit of setting his car alarm off. If the switch is on the verge of open/close state, it might be setting it off.
Correct me if I am wrong, one of the things the car alarm monitors is if the doors are opened when the alarm is set.

Just an idea.
Good luck,
Paul
Old 03-09-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure if this thread will help with the disarming:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/131761-remote-programming.html
Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Wildman
VIP, couldn't the door switch be a culprit of setting his car alarm off. If the switch is on the verge of open/close state, it might be setting it off.
Correct me if I am wrong, one of the things the car alarm monitors is if the doors are opened when the alarm is set.

Just an idea.
Good luck,
Paul
Thats a possibility.

Originally Posted by Wildman
Not sure if this thread will help with the disarming:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131761
Thats the instructions I was talking about.

--VIP1
Old 03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I asked our trim guy at work (i work at a dealership) He said its the door jam. I need a new door assembly, with an actuator. I need to find one for like 75 bucks, our parts store is expensive, they are asking 125 bucks... anyone know where i can find one?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:17 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by ohhiitznik
I asked our trim guy at work (i work at a dealership) He said its the door jam. I need a new door assembly, with an actuator. I need to find one for like 75 bucks, our parts store is expensive, they are asking 125 bucks... anyone know where i can find one?
What do you mean by a "door assembly" and an "actuator"?
The only thing I know of being there is the switch which shouldn't cost that much and is probably a part that GM has not changed for decades. Maybe there is something I am missing.

--VIP1
Old 03-10-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lock assembly Aka. the door latch. the Fbody has the sensor aka the actuator in the door latch. And when it doesnt latch correctly, it will short and make the light turn on and or the alarm to sound, cuz it thinks the door has been opened.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

i have this same problem too. only mine does not have a distinct time it goes off. sometime it goes off right after i lock it, sometimes a half hour after, sometime not at all. it was so bad one time that i didnt even lock my car, scaring me. would this be the same as his problem or something different?? also i dont understand how it would be the door, going off a half hour after.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

if you are that worried about the alarm, use the power lock button on the door then close it. The car will be locked, but the alarm will not be armed, unless it arms itself.

--VIP1
Old 03-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jaljohn
i have this same problem too. only mine does not have a distinct time it goes off. sometime it goes off right after i lock it, sometimes a half hour after, sometime not at all. it was so bad one time that i didnt even lock my car, scaring me. would this be the same as his problem or something different?? also i dont understand how it would be the door, going off a half hour after.
By far the most common cause of intermittent factory alarm problems is the shock sensor. They are known to go bad for no apparent reason. It is located under the plastic trim panel that covers the spare tire (just in front of the spare). Disconnect it and see if your problem goes away. Then you can either leave it disconnected (which means only opening a door will make the alarm sound), buy a new one from GM, or replace the alarm system with a Hornet 700T (for simple installation and continued use of the factory key fobs) or a more sophisticated alarm.