Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New to car audio - good setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New to car audio - good setup?

Guys I think the driver side sail speaker is blown or on its way out so I was thinking about replacing the whole audio system (leaving the stock hatch speakers I think). But I have no clue about audio setups whatsoever. I have found a couple components for a whole package that I think might work but I want to get opinions from those who are more experienced. If it is ok to replace just the 2 sail speakers I will do that rather than doing the doors too.

Sub: manufacturer link - http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/vi...-1023d/default

Amp: either XTX500.5 or XTX1500.1 maybe, manufacturer link - http://www.reaudio.com/amps.php
or Kenwood manufacturer link: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...iers/KAC-9105D

Speakers: See below posts

For the sub I am going to probably try to get it to fit in the little empty area driver side hatch where I believe the optional CD Changer would have gone.

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 02-08-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor links removed
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you read the FAQ?

Were you planning on putting those two-ways into the sail positions? Normally mid-bass subs go there, especially if you're going to rely on the factory monsoon amp to drive them.

Camaro or Firebird?

That sub looks a little deep for a typical stealth enclosure opposite the spare tire.

A head unit upgrade will give a nice improvement in sound quality.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I looked at the FAQ. I haven't seen a mid-bass sub on sonicelectronix but admittedly I haven't looked. I was hoping this 10" Alpine type R sub would fit in the stealth driver side enclosure Kee Audio sells and then go with a Kenwood amp now (KAC-9105D), running at 4 ohms so its within the RMS range of the sub.

So I would need 2 mid-bass subs for the sail panels, in addition to the alpine sub and kenwood amp and that would mean I would just need 6.75" (6.5S) Kicker speakers for the doors and 4" for the hatch (if I replace those)?

Here are the Kicker speakers I had thought I could use for the sail panel location. A friend of mine said that they are mid bass? idk haha - manufacturer link: http://www.kicker.com/ks_series (go to specs, KS65)

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 02-08-2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're on the right track. I'd spend a bit more for component speakers in the doors and some 4" in the hatch (something cheap, two-ways) with the same impedance rating. If you have a camaro you may need components that can mount the tweeter coaxially inside the cone for the doors, or you can just use two-ways. If you have a firebird, just about any 6.5" components will work.

If you have a camaro, get SVC mid-bass 6.5"s for the sails, DVC for firebirds. Again, look carefully at the FAQ, it's all there.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, yeah I forgot to mention in my reply it is a Firebird Formula. I would like to keep the doors, sails, and hatch the same if I end up replacing them all, found Kicker 4" 2 ways that are the same style as those mids I found - manufacturer link: http://www.kicker.com/ks_series (go to specs, KS40)

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 02-08-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY

Here are the Kicker speakers I had thought I could use for the sail panel location. A friend of mine said that they are mid bass? idk haha (non-sponsor link removed)
Those kickers are two-ways. You want a 6.5" DVC woofer only with a higher excursion than a normal two-way full-range speaker. You may not be able to find them in every brand. CDT, Bazooka, a few others make them. You could put a full range two-way in the sails but it won't be DVC so won't be driven as well in your firebird. Also, the monsoon amp will only send it bass signals to it won't perform as well for that purpose as a dedicated mid-bass cone.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-08-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright I'll have to look at different brands. I am going to replace the non sponsor links with manufacturer links. I wish a sponsor had an audio package for our cars haha.

The only one I'm aware of is Kee Audio.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kee has some good packages and the CDT stuff is a very good value.

Dennis at DoubleDmods is very familiar with the cars and can easily put something to gether for you.

SparksAI used to have some packages but last time I checked, their links didn't work.

Or you can put something together yourself, but honestly the sponsors prices are pretty good and you won't risk buying something that isn't right for the application if you go with their recommendations.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I don't know very much about car audio either. I decided to put a system in my 00' Hawk last year. I talked to Ian and told him what I wanted. He talked me out of doing a few things actually.

I ended up with a Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, JL 5 channel amp, CDT premium speakers all around. Eliminated the speakers in the back hatch. 10' CDT carbon fiber sub w/ enclosure.

It sounds f'ing amazing. The sound quality is awesome even when you turn it up. Bass is tight and hits hard enough to shake the rear view mirror and you can feel it in your chest.

I was kinda on the fence about buying all that stuff and not really knowing anything about it. Ian is hard to get a hold of sometimes, he does this as a second job, but he always answered my questions and was very helpful.

I do not regret doing business with him one bit and when I put a system in my wifes Avalanche I will get everything from him.

I had never heard of CDT before, just the main stream stuff, Kicker, Fosgate, Alpine, etc. I am very happy with the sound quality of the CDT's.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ian sounds like he would be worth talking too...who is he?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Kee audio hands down..they put together an excellent kit for me. I highly recommend them.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I've read several suggestion on this site about Kee. Tried to call them 3 times, left 2 messages, and still no luck. Is the number on their website incorrect. I need a Driver Side door speaker for a 2000 Camaro Z28 with the Monsoon system.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes he's slow answering but he always seems to get his orders out in a timely manner.

Not sure you can buy just one speaker, but maybe. You can always give Dennis a call at doubleDmods, too.

There are few brands that make component co-axial/braxial mounted 6.5" that would work in a Camaro besides CDT. If that's all you need, just pick one you like and go for it. MB Quart, CDT, Cerwin-Vega, Powerbass, maybe Rainbow...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

I definitely suggest buying a new head unit before you do anything. Trust me, just a new HU alone will make your stock system sound better. This is mine:

(non-sponsor link removed)

It's a fabulous HU, but if you want to go full on amazing go with this:

(non-sponsor link removed)

The second one I linked is really the best HU out there right now. Has amazing specs.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-10-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor links removed