Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replacing Monsoon receiver, is it necessary to rewire to stock amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing Monsoon receiver, is it necessary to rewire to stock amp?

Basically I want to get satellite radio and I'm looking at a Kenwood deck that is Sirius ready and a tuner. I want to keep the stock speakers and amp. Car Toys is telling me that they need to rewire everything all the way back to the amp and that's an extra $100. I'm not an audio expert but this doesn't make sense to me. Is there any truth to what they say?

Thanks!

BTW, I have an '02 TA with Monsoon.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are full of crap.... All you need is the wiring harness it plugs right in to the factory connection behind the radio...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
they are full of crap.... All you need is the wiring harness it plugs right in to the factory connection behind the radio...
he said it they are full of it.they are trying to u.If I were you Iwould look on e-bay for the tuner you want as well cause they are probally quoteing you a price 2 times two high.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I've been to 3 different stores now and they all say they have to rewire everything. Until April 3rd if you buy a Kenwood deck you get a free Kenwood Sirius tuner, so I'm saving $150, but then getting ripped off on the installs prices. Is it possible if they don't rewire everything it won't sound as good or maybe the new receiver might blow the speakers??
Old 03-21-2004, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

yeah these guys are probably right. are you selling your monsoon cd player?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blevina
I've been to 3 different stores now and they all say they have to rewire everything. Until April 3rd if you buy a Kenwood deck you get a free Kenwood Sirius tuner, so I'm saving $150, but then getting ripped off on the installs prices. Is it possible if they don't rewire everything it won't sound as good or maybe the new receiver might blow the speakers??
so buy it and install it yourself... its not hard. Get the wiring harness and installation kit, match up the wires and connect em.. mount the deck in the install kit and put it into the dash, it really isnt hard.... the sirius tuner plugs straight into the deck then just route the antenna wire around the car to whereever you mount the antenna for it....
Old 03-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dallas
yeah these guys are probably right. are you selling your monsoon cd player?
I think I will hold onto my Monsoon CD player for now, just incase I sell the car later.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I think I'll buy it from Crutchfield and try to do it myself. It will save me alot of money.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Teching In

You do not have to rewire everything to keep the stock monsson amp and speakers. Rewire is required if you add non-compliant door and sailpanel speackers (2 ohm), but the rear speakers (4 ohm) seem to work fine with an after market amp.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe the front speakers are run off the amp in the reciever and the both sets of rears run off the amp.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Teching In

For 97, I am sure that all speakers are run out of the monsson amp, and I don't see why it would have changed later.

Go to this link for a wiring diagram:

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/m...mpFirebird.htm

Originally Posted by redz_02
i believe the front speakers are run off the amp in the reciever and the both sets of rears run off the amp.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redz_02
Nope, The tweeters for the front components (or coaxials in camaros case) and the rear tweeters are run off the deck, the front mids, subs, and rear mids are run off the monsoon amp.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Teching In

The camaro is wired different from the firebird, just as you say. But, I believe the question referenced the 02 T/A, which has the 10 speaker monsoon system. Having just gone through all the firebird monsoon stereo system myself during the last month, I feel pretty good about this. He can test his system out by unpluging the amp connector and seeing if any other speakers play.

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Nope, The tweeters for the front components (or coaxials in camaros case) and the rear tweeters are run off the deck, the front mids, subs, and rear mids are run off the monsoon amp.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DavidNC
The camaro is wired different from the firebird, just as you say. But, I believe the question referenced the 02 T/A, which has the 10 speaker monsoon system. Having just gone through all the firebird monsoon stereo system myself during the last month, I feel pretty good about this. He can test his system out by unpluging the amp connector and seeing if any other speakers play.

All years are wired the same GM didnt change the setup at all, the link you show even mentions this. All Monsoon setups in TAs from 98 forward are "10 speaker". (its really a 6 channel setup, as its 2 component sets and 2 subs. ). All tweeters are run off the deck.

Quick Reply: replacing Monsoon receiver, is it necessary to rewire to stock amp?