Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alarm: Aftermarket to stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm: Aftermarket to stock

Ok so when I bought my car, 96 Trans Am, the previous owner failed to mention it had an aftermarket alarm. Now I think I'm starting to have issuses but I'm not entirely sure as I've never had an alarm system.

But the reset button was put in a stupid location, 3 inches away from the window you'd break to get in it. When my battery is disconnected and reconnected it sets the alarm off. Not a big deal but a little annoying. Plus I have no key fob, which drives me nuts. The alarm just makes the lights flash inside and out, all of them and I mean all of them, and there is no sound. I'm not sure if this normal for these cars or not. Most if not all of the factory alarm has been removed.

So what I'm wanting to do is reinstall the GM alarm (as crazy as it sounds). Does anybody know anything about doing this or where I can get the parts to do it?

or

Does anybody know of a security system that isn't to expensive, and the fob doesn't look childish or tacky?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

According to my parts catalog, the 96 did not have an available factory alarm system. The alarm option code for 98-02 was UA6 if you want to check your door label.

However, the 96 did have available keyless entry (option code AU0) so one option might be the Hornet 700T (superseded by the Hornet 727T and the Viper 330V). It is an alarm upgrade for factory keyless entry systems. It comes with the alarm brain, wiring harness and alarm siren but no remote because it uses the factory remote. It has all the normal capabilities of a basic alarm system (shock sensor, door sensor, etc.) plus it is expandable with options like a motion detector. If you don't have a factory remote, they are readily available from the dealer or on eBay.

I have seen mixed reviews mostly due to installation difficulties (it is designed to work with most car models) but I had no difficulty installing it in my T/A and it worked flawlessly for years. In fact, GM sold it as a factory accessory for many years. On our cars, the entire installation except for the siren can be done using connections at the BCM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
According to my parts catalog, the 96 did not have an available factory alarm system. The alarm option code for 98-02 was UA6 if you want to check your door label.

However, the 96 did have available keyless entry (option code AU0) so one option might be the Hornet 700T (superseded by the Hornet 727T and the Viper 330V). It is an alarm upgrade for factory keyless entry systems. It comes with the alarm brain, wiring harness and alarm siren but no remote because it uses the factory remote. It has all the normal capabilities of a basic alarm system (shock sensor, door sensor, etc.) plus it is expandable with options like a motion detector. If you don't have a factory remote, they are readily available from the dealer or on eBay.

I have seen mixed reviews mostly due to installation difficulties (it is designed to work with most car models) but I had no difficulty installing it in my T/A and it worked flawlessly for years. In fact, GM sold it as a factory accessory for many years. On our cars, the entire installation except for the siren can be done using connections at the BCM.

Thank you for looking in your catalog for me.

I thought it might have had one because the stereo has the anti theft light but doesn't flash. My friend with a 97 Formula said there is a reset button near the spare tire, but mine is gone and there is a loose connector there.

I'll have to check my RPO list and see what is there. But aftermarket may be the best way to go so I'll have to look into the one you suggested.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The TheftLock light on the stereo is a separate thing from a vehicle alarm system. TheftLock allows the owner to set a PIN that will lock the stereo whenever it loses power in an effort to prevent theft of the stereo (i.e. it supposedly becomes useless to the thief unless he knows the PIN). However, the unlocking procedure is widely posted (including in the Monsoon FAQ sticky here) so it really has little value. Besides, I don't think many thieves are interested in a Monsoon head unit that is available online for as little as $20.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Ok that makes sense I think my cavi has that on the stock stereo. I know I've heard it somewhere before now that you mention it.

But what about the reset button near the spare tire. The way my friend described it there is supposed to be a black box there and mines gone. Or is that something else?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

On vehicles equipped with the optional alarm system, there is a shock sensor mounted on the right rear wheelwell in front of the spare tire. It is a little black box - there's a photo of it in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. It has a small sensitivity adjustment **** but no reset button as such (although the adjuster is one of those knurled white plastic shafts that could look like a button). You wouldn't have one because you don't have a factory alarm system.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Ok that makes sense to me. I'll have to look into another aftermarket. Thanks for clearing a few things up for me.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Where you located in central Ill? Im around Peoria and can check it out and let you know your options.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by habeba86
Where you located in central Ill? Im around Peoria and can check it out and let you know your options.
Pekin. PM me
Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always liked my prestige 997a for the features it has also but the best one is that the remote looks very similar to factory key fob.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I always liked my prestige 997a for the features it has also but the best one is that the remote looks very similar to factory key fob.
The one I'm having issues with is an audiovox. But I don't think its that one. What kind of features does it have? (remote start, spare key fob, accessory button like a trunk release, ect..) The price o it doesnt look bad does it work good?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No issues with it for last 4 years I had it.
It also comes with a 2 way pager fob that has a longer range & screen.

I mostly use the small key fob use it for remote start, open/close doors & windows with spare channels.
Tilt & shock sensors.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
No issues with it for last 4 years I had it.
It also comes with a 2 way pager fob that has a longer range & screen.

I mostly use the small key fob use it for remote start, open/close doors & windows with spare channels.
Tilt & shock sensors.

Where can I pick one up? Is it online only?

Quick Reply: Alarm: Aftermarket to stock