Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Vatts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vatts?

Ok before any one asks I searched an searched looked on here, google, other camaro forums, an even shbox.com.

Ok so my ? is/problem I'm having is the car starts some times, an some times not, I'll have to wait for a couple of minutes for it to fire up blah...blah...blah...same **** as others lol.

Know I searched an seen the resistor trick an that is what I want to do but here where my problem is.......
My key is missing the pellet thingy in the middle of the key so I can't find out what resistor to get to use....I do how ever have a build sheet on my car is there a way to find out what resistor I need?

Also with the key not having the pellet the car shouldn't even be running correct lol?

Any help would be very HELPFULL!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

It starts without the pellet?!?

ITS POSSESSED!!!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreenBlood55
It starts without the pellet?!?

ITS POSSESSED!!!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
I was going to say "There's your problem... you're missing the pellet"
Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Teching In

Yes the key is missing the pellet but the car also starts an runs/drives fine. Other than some times it will make me wait like 3 min. or so to start. I have to wait till the security light goes out. But like I said it only does this once in a while.
I would like to bypass the vatts so I don't have to wait.
But I need to know what size resistor I would need an being that I don't have a pellet in my key is there any other way to find out what resistor I will need?
Also I looked under the steering wheel just to make sure that the owner before me didn't already do this an they didn't.

I just read some where off of google an some one said You can call the stealership an give them your vin. # an they can tell you what pellet you had has any tried this or can confirm this please?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-26-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has your key always been missing pellet maybe it is bypassed already but loose connection or something
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

pentavolvo is correct. There is no way the car would EVER start using a key with a missing pellet unless the VATS had already been bypassed. The SECURITY light in the instrument cluster will tell you what the BCM is seeing. If it is flashing, the BCM sees an open circuit (i.e. no resistor pellet). If it is on steady then the BCM sees a resistor pellet but it's not the correct resistance or the signal is intermittent. That is the most common situation with a loose VATS bypass.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Yes the key has always had the pellet missing (I just bought the car alittle over 4 months ago)
Ok so when it doesn't start the security light blinks so then I'll turn the key off then try again an if it doesn't start then I'll just let it sit with the key in the on position then the security light will turn off then the car will start.
Is there any other place they could have done the bypass?
Because I've looked under the steering wheel an the wires are still connected an look to be never touch an for sure there is no resistor there.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lances
Yes the key has always had the pellet missing (I just bought the car alittle over 4 months ago)
Ok so when it doesn't start the security light blinks so then I'll turn the key off then try again an if it doesn't start then I'll just let it sit with the key in the on position then the security light will turn off then the car will start.
Is there any other place they could have done the bypass?
Because I've looked under the steering wheel an the wires are still connected an look to be never touch an for sure there is no resistor there.
Use a Tech II to get the code for your vatts and call the dealer and get a key made, or look up the code to find the resistor for it, buy a resistor and hook that to the wires underneath your dash... youll have to find out where that person before you bypassed it, they prolly took the pellet and soldered it underneath your dash
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Teching In

O.k. so after digging around I found that the owner before me did just as SixShooterCam said. The person before me took the pellet out of the key an just soldered it to the wires. The reason I couldn't see that he done this is because he did it over at by the BCM under the glove compartment.
So now that I know this I have a few ?'s for you experts.
1st.
If he already soldered the pellet to the wires why is the car still doing the security thing?
2nd.
Now that I found the pellet can I check to see what resistor I need even though it's soldered to the wires?
3rd.
Once/If I can get the resistor I need can I just soldered in where he has already done it so I don't have 2 splices/cuts?

I also have some pictures for you guy's to look at it also looks like he cut one purple wire that he wasn't suppose to so he reconnected it so does any one know what that wire goes to?

Also A big thanks for the help guy's!!!!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Teching In

I have the build sheet to the car is the code on there sixshootercam?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I have the build sheet to the car is the code on there sixshootercam?
I am not 100% sure the code will be on the build sheet, it could be, but I know there are 2 legit ways of getting the vatt code and one is by taking the original key to the dealer and they can put it in their key thing and check, and since that isnt an option for you then you can plug in a tech II and scroll through the list of codes for your vatt code..

I see where he soldered the pellet but what are the other wires that are cut? that looks sketchy, you may be having the problem by a **** soldering job perhaps, so im sure you can place the resistor in the same location, just find out where those other wires go..

Also if you dont mind having the vatt system then just get your code, take that pellet out and attach those wires together and go get a new tumbler and key from the dealer for like 110 bucks.. if you want a different alarm then just get a resistor and bypass it
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Teching In

the 2 wires just hanging there is the wires that go to where he soldered the pellet to. (if I was to take the pellet out an reconnect the wires as if they were never cut)
the other wire with the wire connector is where I think he cut thinking it was the right wire but found out it wasn't.
I would like just to do the resistor thingy for now as money is tight in my house hold......Could I check the pellet while it is still connected like he has it to find the olm's (i think that's what I'm looking for) to get the correct resistor?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Launching!

the 2 wires just hanging there is the wires that go to where he soldered the pellet to. (if I was to take the pellet out an reconnect the wires as if they were never cut)
the other wire with the wire connector is where I think he cut thinking it was the right wire but found out it wasn't.
I would like just to do the resistor thingy for now as money is tight in my house hold......Could I check the pellet while it is still connected like he has it to find the olm's (i think that's what I'm looking for) to get the correct resistor?
you could use a volt ohm meter and check the resistance on it and just get a resistor with that current, check the reading like 5 times to be sure you get an exact reading from the pellet... and also im confused so he made 2 cuts in 2 separate wires?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SixShooterCam
you could use a volt ohm meter and check the resistance on it and just get a resistor with that current, check the reading like 5 times to be sure you get an exact reading from the pellet... and also im confused so he made 2 cuts in 2 separate wires?
If I'm looking at it correct, it looks like one wire goes up to the ignition contacts the pellet, goes through the pellet and contacts the other wire and goes back down.

He cut them down there and soldered in the pellet in place...

Example:I'm not sure if this would help but I'll take a shot, the = sign is the two different wires
=======| <- pellet in key ignition

====| ==== <- nothing because he removed the pellet and soldered it in before
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28
If I'm looking at it correct, it looks like one wire goes up to the ignition contacts the pellet, goes through the pellet and contacts the other wire and goes back down.
So then there is still a break at that wire?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Assuming that pellet works that he soldered in and there is no problems with the wires themselves (stripped and grounding out or something) then no there shouldn't be a break in the circuit.

Another example
purple with white wire _
white with purple wire -
current -> -> ->

What that guy did was permanently solder that pellet in place earlier in the wire.
-> ->
_______ (cut) ________
--------|o (cut) ---------
<- <-
the current still goes though the wires.. and through the pellet and back. No current flows in the last two wires anymore

Last edited by Z28SLPCAMAROZ28; 05-29-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Fixing model
Old 05-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE

What that guy did was permanently solder that pellet in place earlier in the wire.

the current still goes though the wires.. and through the pellet and back. No current flows in the last two wires anymore[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I was thinking he did.....as how z28slpcamaroz28 is saying
The guy before me just soldered the pellet instead of a resistor, an he also did it closer to the bcm/farther away from under the dash.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Also the car does start an runs just some times it can be stubborn an does the security thingy to me.
What gets me is if he soldered the pellet in an I'm thinking it has to be the correct one or it wouldn't start at all I would think.
The solder job does look half assed an he also melted some of the black plastic that covers the metal in side the pellet.
Do you think it would be best if I reused the pellet or try an get a good reading an just get a resistor?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM
Launching!

I honestly would rather get a resistor they're cheap and effective
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SixShooterCam
I honestly would rather get a resistor they're cheap and effective
^This

If he did a half assed soldering job he probably damaged the pellet since it is melted in places. The run-around and headaches caused be trying to use the old pellet probably aren't worth. Not to mention if it goes out later on then you'll be in the same boat or possibly stuck somewhere because the car won't start.

Quick Reply: Vatts?