Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

[GUIDE] Disabling Door Chime on 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default [GUIDE] Disabling Door Chime on 4th gen

So when working in/around my car I like to turn on my radio and keep the doors open. Apparently GM doesn't like you doing that so the car always chimes when the doors are open and the key is in the accessory position. Here's how to disable it.*

*Note, the car will still chime to notify you about headlights and seat belts with this method.

1. Get access to your BCM, its right behind your glovebox. To do this, you need to remove two Xmas tree clamps that hold the cover up in the passenger footwell. Just pull them out far enough with a screwdriver until you get get them out by hand. You want to put these back so don't kill them when taking them out.

2. Once you do that, you should be able to drop the black cover down and see the BCM (It has a bunch of wires going to it)

3. No need to remove the actual BCM, just look for the Light Green wire going into C14 in the 32 pin connector. This is the wire that carries the key in signal to the BCM. Make sure its the same one that I cut below:

4. Go ahead and snip it. I put some electrical tape on both wires to prevent unwanted contact. You can now freely listen to your music as you work on your car

All credit to WhiteBird00 as I just made a guide from a post he made.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible other solutions include, listening to any other source of music, close the door and roll window down, open passenger door instead, and not have to take apart or cut anything
Old 09-10-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDEP162
Possible other solutions include, listening to any other source of music, close the door and roll window down, open passenger door instead, and not have to take apart or cut anything
If you want the easy way out

This is how I work on almost all my other cars, but GM decided no.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

OMG - This is a little much, I think. If I recall correctly, there is a procedure in the owners manual to so this in the chime settings - no need to cut wires.

When I work on my car, I just use a screwdriver shaft to shut the door latch while the door is open. Chime goes off. When I'm done, lift the handle and pull the screw driver out and all is normal.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you get one of these and listen to music. I have one and let me tell you this thing rocks

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=181213485696
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
OMG - This is a little much, I think. If I recall correctly, there is a procedure in the owners manual to so this in the chime settings - no need to cut wires.

When I work on my car, I just use a screwdriver shaft to shut the door latch while the door is open. Chime goes off. When I'm done, lift the handle and pull the screw driver out and all is normal.
I tried the screwdriver "trick" but too many times I accidentally tried to close the door or bump into it. I looked at my owners manual and didn't see anything to change this:

"When you park your vehicle and open the driver’s door,
you’ll hear a chime reminding you to remove your key
from the ignition and take it with you. Always do this"
Originally Posted by White6SpdZ28
Or you get one of these and listen to music. I have one and let me tell you this thing rocks

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=181213485696
Kinda defeats the purpose of sinking money into your sound system of you do that

Maybe I'm just OCD about my car, but I like quick one times fixes. While searching I saw many people with the same problem. You can always crimp the wires back together should you start longing for the door chime sound again...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

is this the same chime that warns you about headlights still being on? because thats kinda important.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
is this the same chime that warns you about headlights still being on? because thats kinda important.
Yea but you don't disable the chime altogether, it will still let you know about headlights being on. This just disables the chime for the door warning.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The only side effect to this mod is that the BCM is no longer aware when the key is in the ignition so the lock-out protection won't work. In stock configuration, the BCM will prevent the doors from locking with the door lock switch if the key is still in the ignition to prevent locking your keys in the car. With this wire cut, the BCM won't know the key is in the ignition so you could possibly lock the keys inside the car.

That's not really a big deal if you get in the habit of only locking the car with the remote instead of the door switch.

The same light green wire is also available near the base of the steering column in a black 11-pin/10-wire connector (connector C216) between two black wires. That might be an easier location to reach for some people.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a write up years ago that talked about installilng a switch on this wire. I did that a long time ago and turn it off when I'm working with the door open so I can listen to music and then back on when I'm finished. As WhiteBird00 said, you lose the notification of your keys still in the ignition with this off or disconnected. I almost always lock my car with the door switch so the lock out protection is nice for me if I go brain dead and leave the key in the ignition.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Just go down at the turn signal switch on steering column and remove or cut last black wire on turn signal sw connector,PM me if you need more info

Quick Reply: [GUIDE] Disabling Door Chime on 4th gen