Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

The Best Sub In The World...Going in the Z this week!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Best Sub In The World...Going in the Z this week!!!

I just bought a brand new MTX Thunder 9500 on Saturday. For those of you that don't know, it was rated the best subwoofer in the world by Car Audio Magazine or one of the other audio mags. This thing is beefy. Check out MTX's website, theres a comparison between a new JL Audio 10W7 and a 10" T9510-04 (Thunder9500). The MTX in a 10" will handle 50% more power, 43% more excursion, 10% more linear excursion, features a voice coil heat sink and more. NO ONE has blown one of these speakers yet. Let me tell yeah, I'm taking out 3-10" MTX 4000's and swapping in a new 12" Thunder 9500. This bitch is almost identical to the 15". it has a 260 oz. magnet, handles 1000w RMS (NOT A TYPO), only needs .65 cu.ft. for a sealed box, and is far superior to a Kicker L7, SoloX, or any JL W7. It costs less than a W7 too. They list for 499, 599, and 699 for 10", 12" and 15", respectively. A W7 lists for 50 bucks more for each and like 150 more for only a 13. The JL's and Kickers blew up before the 9500's too in a test by an outside research company. These will handle anything you throw at them. So, 1-12 in the Z should be more than enough, especially when im pushing 900+ watts RMS of Fosgate power into that bitch. I only paid $424 total for the speaker alone, so it better pound for that, but i figured...only the BEST for the Z. Im going to start my own custom fiberglass box with integrated amp racks tonight. Im painting it this tight chameleon color, should look sweet. Anyway, ill have pics when im done. The only thing im wondering is whether or not to incorporate 2 chevy bow-ties into the box and then mounting my power and ground distribution blocks to it? I think it would be a nice touch, but it might look cleaner without that added too it. what do you guys think?
Old 05-03-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think MTX must have floated the mag a nice check for that article, but that's just what I think. I'm sure it's a nice sub, but your enclosure and the rest of your install is going to effect how it sounds, more than how it compared to another sub in a given test.

For your box, I'd say to leave the logo's out of it. You own a Chevrolet Camaro, and that's touted in enough places throughout the rest of the car, there's no need to over do it. Make sure to post some pictures of your glasswork when you're done, and good luck with the install.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
I think MTX must have floated the mag a nice check for that article, but that's just what I think. I'm sure it's a nice sub, but your enclosure and the rest of your install is going to effect how it sounds, more than how it compared to another sub in a given test.

For your box, I'd say to leave the logo's out of it. You own a Chevrolet Camaro, and that's touted in enough places throughout the rest of the car, there's no need to over do it. Make sure to post some pictures of your glasswork when you're done, and good luck with the install.
Yeah, I know JL make nice speakers, but they wont handle power like the MTX, neither do they incorporate some of the new technologies like MTX does. This test was done with the woofers all in the same box, all playing the same frequency, and then uping the power, and the kicker and jl blew while the MTX did not blow and kept on going. like I said, they dont even offer an exrended warranty, becasue NO ONE has blown one with any amount of power. So, i think that my 900 odd watts of RMS power shouldn't be too much to handle. As for the box, I hope it turns out, I've done it before, but nothing as elaborate as this. Im going to make spots for 3 amps to be mounted to it, and then the one 12. should look nice...
Old 05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Launching!

yea, Im putting the best gas in the world in my car later today
Old 05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tapout
Might as well. Sounds like you already have the worlds best smartass in there
Old 05-03-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zo6Killer
Might as well. Sounds like you already have the worlds best smartass in there
No ****, thats why i hate people sometimes. But anyways, Im not saying its the best speaker in the world...Car Audio magazine is, so if thats not a reputable source, then i dont know what is. As for the sub, it weighs 87 lbs without the box, ill take some pics of it. its by far the nicest sub ive ever owned (havent hooked it up yet, but its quality), and ive been doing car audio since i was 15. Go here: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...hunder9500.cfm
and check it out. Then read up on how its better than a W7 here:
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/headtohead/w7.cfm
This sub is no joke...
Old 05-03-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

AsianIce- You're just asking for criticism bro. Magazine racing sucks, and it usually isn't right. I'm sure your new sub is a nice sub, but a comparison test like you described isn't going to prove a damn thing. Different brands of subs are made for different types of enclosures. If each sub was played from its ideal enclosure for a specific test, then that might prove something. I refrained from posting my opinions about MTX before, but since it seems like you're a car audio salesman who's been spoon fed by the corporate ladder, MTX subs suck. They're inefficient, they're not all that accurate, but they ARE a decent bang for the buck piece. I'll bow out of this thread now since it's going to turn into a bunch of misled opinions.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8

AsianIce- You're just asking for criticism bro. Magazine racing sucks, and it usually isn't right. I'm sure your new sub is a nice sub, but a comparison test like you described isn't going to prove a damn thing. Different brands of subs are made for different types of enclosures. If each sub was played from its ideal enclosure for a specific test, then that might prove something. I refrained from posting my opinions about MTX before, but since it seems like you're a car audio salesman who's been spoon fed by the corporate ladder, MTX subs suck. They're inefficient, they're not all that accurate, but they ARE a decent bang for the buck piece. I'll bow out of this thread now since it's going to turn into a bunch of misled opinions.
I'm not a car audio salesman, but ive done it as a hobby for a long time. I agree that the test im talking about was performed for MTX, so it may not be all that accurate, but in either case, the MTX survived more power than the jl or kicker. The video was playing on some lcd screens they had in the store, but i think they were just free standing (free air), or sealed, and in any case, a sub will handle more power in a sealed box. And free air, although neither of these subs are supposed to be mounted free air, it leaves them all with the same resistance, so its a fair test. and then the article in the magazine, i never read it, but MTX was rated #1. Efficiency, its important, but the MTX and the JL are so big, theyre not going to be all that efficient, but its not going to matter when im pushing more power into my 1-12" than anyother person on this board with 2 12's. There arent that many subs aout there that will handle 1000w RMS/2000w peak and still make a clean sound while doing it. ive never heard these subs before, so i suppose they may suck ***, but at the same time, ill trust car audio mag before someone on this board who has no idea what theyre talking about. i should be doen with my box by the end of the week, so ill let you guys know if it hits harder than my 3-10" MTX 4000's, which it should no prob. I want to feel shockwaves...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Teching In

You sure its the best sub, what about the Jl Audio w7's they are wicked!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foot56
You sure its the best sub, what about the Jl Audio w7's they are wicked!
Did you read the above??? Its way bigger, louder, and better than a W7.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:18 AM
Launching!

this is a good sub no doubt, but I hope you didnt buy it based just on looks.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is a good sub no doubt, but I hope you didnt buy it based just on looks.
I did take looks into account, as with anything, asthetics always come into play. I oringally wanted my system to match with 2-10" Fosgate Power T1 or T2 subs, but theyre not out yet, and the MTX is way better. The only choice I had to make is between a JL W7 and a MTX Thunder 9500. But the Thunder is bigger, louder, and made better than a W7. It has a rubber surround, same type cone, bigger magnet, more excursion, more power handling, and more incursion, but I hear its not as accurate. The W7 is good, more accurate, not as loud, and its lacking a lot of the new technologies that MTX incorporates into their subs. So taking that into account, the only thing left to think about is price, and if you went to the link that I put above, youll see that the JL is a lot more expensive. Plus Car Audio rates it #1...you cant go wrong. And this 12 list for $599, and I got it for 400+tax. Id like to know where you can get a 12W7 for less than $424 out the door??? Best bang for your buck...
Old 05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

I think my Type R's are pretty good. Loud as hell for only 500 bucks.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give MTX the thumbs up for these speakers, but I'll still take a JL Audio W7 any day of the week. I'd bet the JL subs would get just as loud on alot less power.
It's not that the JL subs can't handle as much power as the MTX... it's that they don't need as much power because they're much more efficient speakers.
Just cuz a speaker is rated at a higher wattage doesn't mean it's better or louder, it just means it requires more wattage to power it.
My single JL 12w6 with 250 watts going to it sounds better then my buddy's dual MTX 12" subs (don't know the model... not 9500s though) with 500 watts going to each of them.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

im not trashing on your system man but ive been around this **** a long time and that MTX might be loud and handle 70000000 watts but whats it going to sound like look at the l7's they handle some power and they get loud but they sound like a tin can and arnent loud all the time just SOME songs. the W7 isnt even a competion sub thats not what it was designed for yeah there loud as **** but the sound quality is AWSOME and they will play anything thing loud its not one certian sound so you cant compair the MTX to the W7 there 2 diffrent styles of subs.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

oh and the W7 can handle up to 2000 it just voids the warranty and it you want something that really kills check out the crossfire xt2 subs i had 2 xt212's in my truck one time with a crossfire 2000d and it KILLED they was in a 6.2cu ft slot ported box though
Old 05-04-2004, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Just because it handles more power and this and that does not mean that it will actually sound better.

Notice I didn't say louder.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

thats right and what it meters doesnt mean **** either ive been in vehicles that would meter 152 and another one 145 and the 145 would seem twice as loud (also i have some system stuff left for sale if anyone is interested)
Old 05-05-2004, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

depends on what hz that it metered at.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by iB2slow
im not trashing on your system man but ive been around this **** a long time and that MTX might be loud and handle 70000000 watts but whats it going to sound like look at the l7's they handle some power and they get loud but they sound like a tin can and arnent loud all the time just SOME songs. the W7 isnt even a competion sub thats not what it was designed for yeah there loud as **** but the sound quality is AWSOME and they will play anything thing loud its not one certian sound so you cant compair the MTX to the W7 there 2 diffrent styles of subs.
I know power capability doesnt imply anything but that, but at the same time Id say that power handling is directly related to the loudness of the speaker. Even with efficiency in mind, I doubt the efficience of a W7 will make up for the 50% more power handling of the MTX. In either case though, I bet all of you would agree that this thunder 9500 is of the same caliber as a W7 or any L7 or even a Solo X. Definetely one of the nicest speakers ive ever bought. But will it be louder than 2-$200 12's??? We'll find out this week. Like I said, I have heard 1-10" W7, and it was loud, but I cant see it being louder than this 9500...

Quick Reply: The Best Sub In The World...Going in the Z this week!!!