Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New HU Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default New HU Questions

In the process of upgrading my sound system, it is time to replace the distortion box of **** GM calls a head unit. I am looking for an aftermarket replacement with exceptional sound quality, along with Navigation. I am not a fan of the double-DIN touchscreen replacements. So the only option left is a regular single din head unit with a retractable screen. There aren't many, but the one I'm leaning towards is the Clarion NZ503. Ignore the price on crutchfield, these can be found in the mid $500's on eBay. Reviews are good and I personally love it's look and amount of features. Question's are if there are any other single din HU's with nav that are good and also what I will need to install an aftermarket HU.

So far I'm getting:

- Metra 99-3320 In-dash Receiver Kit
- Receiver Wire Harness
- Metra 40-GM10 Antenna Adapter
- Steering wheel control adapter
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why they list the antenna adapter, I pulled my stock HU out and plugged the antenna wire directly into my pioneer and it fit perfect.

can't speak to the quality of clarion I haven't touched a clarion in ages, I just prefer Pioneer, they haven't disappointed yet. I don't care for motorized faces, there a ticking time bomb of failure in my book, and the radio nav maps usually suck and you have to buy yearly map updates, google maps on the phone when needed is better to me.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also with the screen deployed it will block your center vents. It's just one reason I didn't get one as well as what was mentioned above. As far as your question that's probably all you'll need to install your new one din hu.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I don't know why they list the antenna adapter, I pulled my stock HU out and plugged the antenna wire directly into my pioneer and it fit perfect.
Did you buy a Pioneer unit that was specifically designed as a GM replacement? All 1.5 DIN GM head units between '88 and '02 used a miniature version of the standard Motorola antenna plug. Virtually all aftermarket head units use a standard size Motorola antenna plug. It's kind of like the difference between the mini-USB plug used by most external hard drives and the micro-USB plug used by most phones - same shape, different size. There were several aftermarket HUs from various companies that were designed as OEM replacements and had the antenna socket to match the factory antenna. Pioneer's 1.5 DIN models were a popular example and Audiovox made a whole line of them (called their Special Performance Series) that were commonly used for dealer-installed upgrades in new cars. The Audiovox units didn't even require a wiring harness adapter - the factory connector plugged directly into the SPS head unit. But generally speaking, you need an antenna adapter cable to install an aftermarket head unit in a GM vehicle that had a 1.5 DIN factory radio.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
it is time to replace the distortion box of **** GM calls a head unit.
You do know we are talking about a piece of equipment here that has a 20 year old design, right? I don't think GM is continuing to install these radios in their new cars.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blade2222
Also with the screen deployed it will block your center vents. It's just one reason I didn't get one as well as what was mentioned above. As far as your question that's probably all you'll need to install your new one din hu.
Never thought it blocking the vents. But I won't be using the screen every day. I mostly listen to my iPod, which is why I don't need a huge screen all the time.

Originally Posted by wssix99
You do know we are talking about a piece of equipment here that has a 20 year old design, right? I don't think GM is continuing to install these radios in their new cars.
Which is why I'm replacing it

Also, in the Monsoon FAQ, it says I need the Metra 99-3009 while the crutchfield website tells me I need the Metra 99-3320. Which one do I get?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Did you buy a Pioneer unit that was specifically designed as a GM replacement? All 1.5 DIN GM head units between '88 and '02 used a miniature version of the standard Motorola antenna plug. Virtually all aftermarket head units use a standard size Motorola antenna plug. It's kind of like the difference between the mini-USB plug used by most external hard drives and the micro-USB plug used by most phones - same shape, different size. There were several aftermarket HUs from various companies that were designed as OEM replacements and had the antenna socket to match the factory antenna. Pioneer's 1.5 DIN models were a popular example and Audiovox made a whole line of them (called their Special Performance Series) that were commonly used for dealer-installed upgrades in new cars. The Audiovox units didn't even require a wiring harness adapter - the factory connector plugged directly into the SPS head unit. But generally speaking, you need an antenna adapter cable to install an aftermarket head unit in a GM vehicle that had a 1.5 DIN factory radio.
no, it was just a standard Pioneer single DIN radio, it was in my honda before I sold that car, I simply pulled it out of that car, rewired the harness to the GM one and plugged it all up.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Never thought it blocking the vents. But I won't be using the screen every day. I mostly listen to my iPod, which is why I don't need a huge screen all the time.

Also, in the Monsoon FAQ, it says I need the Metra 99-3009 while the crutchfield website tells me I need the Metra 99-3320. Which one do I get?
The Metra 99-3009 has always been the standard kit used for 98-02 F-bodies:

The Metra 99-3320 is a newer replacement that is designed for 97-02 Pontiacs (not specifically Firebirds):

There is also a Metra 99-4000 which includes a single DIN head unit mount and a 1/2 DIN pocket for small items:

Any of them will do the job. Personally, I think single DIN head units look terribly out of place with any of these mount kits - it is just so obvious that it's an aftermarket kit. Since nobody makes 1.5 DIN head units anymore, a nice double DIN fits the dash so much better than any single DIN.

However, if you insist on single DIN, consider a kit from HUMount. They are quite a bit more expensive but they don't look like they came from the boy racer aisle at Pep Boys.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
no, it was just a standard Pioneer single DIN radio, it was in my honda before I sold that car, I simply pulled it out of that car, rewired the harness to the GM one and plugged it all up.
I am at a loss to explain how that could be possible unless you already had an aftermarket antenna in your f-body. That would mean it would already have an antenna adapter (the reverse of the one we're talking about) to adapt the standard Motorola antenna plug to the smaller GM HU antenna socket. You could then plug the aftermarket standard plug without the adapter into the aftermarket radio. Otherwise, what you describe is quite impossible with GM factory equipment.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just looked at HUMount, damn those are some nice faceplates. Especially if you get them with the LED illumination.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Right, but we can't disparrage GM for the radio. It was bump'n and totally hip for the music of the time.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right, but we can't disparrage GM for the radio. It was bump'n and totally hip for the music of the time.

I guess. But still I have an old bimmer around that has a much better system than the monsoon.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Save the manuals!

I guess. But still I have an old bimmer around that has a much better system than the monsoon.
Our speakers were never that great. Curious - do you have a plan for speakers, or are you just looking at a new head unit?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Our speakers were never that great. Curious - do you have a plan for speakers, or are you just looking at a new head unit?
I already installed kee Audio's level 3 speakers and plan on getting a stealth sub after this.

Quick Reply: New HU Questions