Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo feedback

I DD a 2001 Formula M6. All stock, unmolested. It does have an aftermarket Clarion head unit in it with stock speakers and no amp.

When I get in the car and turn the key on, I get some terrible buzzing sound out of my passenger door speaker. This happens even with the stereo turned all the way down. The pitch changes with the Rpm's sometimes. I can sometimes get it to stop if I hit the brakes or turn on the fog lamps. What could be causing this?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Check your speaker wiring, especially the ground wire. A bad ground will cause that.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

X2 bad ground
Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. So should I start at the speaker or head unit?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

I'd start with the speaker since it's just one speaker. Then check the head unit. If it's not either one of those, it could possibly be the wiring in between. Check (or just simply replace) the wiring - make sure there aren't any bare spots or anything like that.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Also note that you do have an amp unless somebody removed it and rewired. All 2001 Formulas and Trans Ams came with Monsoon as standard equipment.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Also note that you do have an amp unless somebody removed it and rewired. All 2001 Formulas and Trans Ams came with Monsoon as standard equipment.
Well that shows how much I know. I haven't had the car for very long, so I'm still learning new things. There is no visible amp. I may end up putting a factory style head unit back in it anyways, so the steering wheel controls will function. I will say that the current system is terrible compared to the stock stereo on my C4 Corvette.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RebelRider
Well that shows how much I know. I haven't had the car for very long, so I'm still learning new things. There is no visible amp. I may end up putting a factory style head unit back in it anyways, so the steering wheel controls will function. I will say that the current system is terrible compared to the stock stereo on my C4 Corvette.
You can replace your stock hu and still keep your steering wheel controls. All you need is a PAC adapter like the swi-rc or they also make hu specific adapters. Very easy to install. Other companies make these too PAC is the one I use.

As for the factory amp I would def ditch that, replace the hu and get a good aftermarket amp to run a nice set of components. You can keep it tho and still get a good result for cheap.

Quick Reply: Stereo feedback