Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What's the CAR ALARM of choice these days......

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What's the CAR ALARM of choice these days......

I had an alarm put in my car in 1998 when I bought it. Is been great for 15 years...but it died.

It's one of those that comes with a Medeco key and a hood lock. You lock the hood and it activates the alarm. Then it's your basic passive alarm system. Turn the hood lock off to unlock the hood and it turns the entire system off.

I want to keep this hood lock........

What's the best system to get these days? I haven't needed one for 15 years so I have no clue what's out there.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a viper 3203 on mine and love it it has the right sensitivity and you could always have a hood pin switch wired in so if the hood was opened the alarm would go off as if the door was opened...
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Glock.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blackfbird98
i have a viper 3203 on mine and love it it has the right sensitivity and you could always have a hood pin switch wired in so if the hood was opened the alarm would go off as if the door was opened...
Well, I have a hood lock. It would take 45 minutes to get it open with powered cutting tools. So I'm not worried about anyone ever getting it opened.

I just need a good alarm to replace the one that's 15 years old and just died on me.

I'll look into the 3202.....

Thanks..

Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TNTramair
A Glock.
Already have a Colt .45........but it only works if I'm in the car with it.....lol

Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Clifford,viper, avital they are all owned by DEI so it's pretty much same alarms with different remotes. That's all I've used and installed for years and years in my stuff and customers cars.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Clifford,viper, avital they are all owned by DEI so it's pretty much same alarms with different remotes. That's all I've used and installed for years and years in my stuff and customers cars.
Hornet is another brand owned by the same company (I had one on one of my previous cars).

Basically from what I've seen most if not all the BIG brands have been bought up by DEI. so really it's all about finding the one with the functions you want, the part about the hood lock makes me think you would be interested in a 2-way setup (the remote will tell you when someone breaks into the car), but the feature I liked the most of the one I had on my first accord was I could roll up or roll down the windows on the car with the remote, which is really nice on hot days.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Hornet is another brand owned by the same company (I had one on one of my previous cars).

Basically from what I've seen most if not all the BIG brands have been bought up by DEI. so really it's all about finding the one with the functions you want, the part about the hood lock makes me think you would be interested in a 2-way setup (the remote will tell you when someone breaks into the car), but the feature I liked the most of the one I had on my first accord was I could roll up or roll down the windows on the car with the remote, which is really nice on hot days.
I liked the hood lock idea because car thieves break the drivers window....reach in and pop the hood, then smack the siren with a hammer and bye-bye alarm. Then they can work on the car in silence.......This way at least my alarm will never stop sounding.

I think maybe this time I'll get the windows rolling down option.

Can the remotes also start the engine but KEEP the doors locked and the steering wheel stays locked? So nobody can jump in while its warming up outside.....

What's the range on those car pagers?

I'm also getting the Zoomback. My friends $200,000 powerboat was saved because of that thing......3 guys in arrested about 10 minutes later after he got his text and he told them where they were in the canal......

Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
I liked the hood lock idea because car thieves break the drivers window....reach in and pop the hood, then smack the siren with a hammer and bye-bye alarm. Then they can work on the car in silence.......This way at least my alarm will never stop sounding.

I think maybe this time I'll get the windows rolling down option.

Can the remotes also start the engine but KEEP the doors locked and the steering wheel stays locked? So nobody can jump in while its warming up outside.....

What's the range on those car pagers?

I'm also getting the Zoomback. My friends $200,000 powerboat was saved because of that thing......3 guys in arrested about 10 minutes later after he got his text and he told them where they were in the canal......

well if range is a concern, they have alarm models that you can connect to with your cellphone that give you virtually unlimited range (baring no cell service area) but the pager model remotes where something like a 1 mile range IIRC (its been a while since I looked).

Remote start DOESN'T unlock the doors (remote has a separate button for that), and even if someone breaks a window and jumps in the car as soon as the brake is applied (without the key in the ignition, in the RUN position) the car shuts off.

Window up/down is an AWESOME feature, I used it ALL THE TIME in the summer, I've always had a big radio system (hence the main reason for an alarm) so I never leave my windows down when I'm not in direct view of the car so in the summer when it gets super hot I can roll them down while walking toward the car and not get hit with that blast of heat when you open the door. Also they make ALL the windows they control into express up express down (one touch like the stock driver window does when going down) windows, I really miss that setup, it was on the car I totaled about 4 years ago (had remote start and the window setup, you can get those features even with a basic remote).
Old 02-15-2014, 03:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
well if range is a concern, they have alarm models that you can connect to with your cellphone that give you virtually unlimited range (baring no cell service area) but the pager model remotes where something like a 1 mile range IIRC (its been a while since I looked).

Remote start DOESN'T unlock the doors (remote has a separate button for that), and even if someone breaks a window and jumps in the car as soon as the brake is applied (without the key in the ignition, in the RUN position) the car shuts off.

Window up/down is an AWESOME feature, I used it ALL THE TIME in the summer, I've always had a big radio system (hence the main reason for an alarm) so I never leave my windows down when I'm not in direct view of the car so in the summer when it gets super hot I can roll them down while walking toward the car and not get hit with that blast of heat when you open the door. Also they make ALL the windows they control into express up express down (one touch like the stock driver window does when going down) windows, I really miss that setup, it was on the car I totaled about 4 years ago (had remote start and the window setup, you can get those features even with a basic remote).
Cool, that's what I'll get.......

Quick Reply: What's the CAR ALARM of choice these days......