Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Made a double din bezel

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Made a double din bezel

Ok guys i am making my own bezel and will be updating with pics as i go. So far i have the opening cut out and am gonna be doing the bondo and whatnot tomorrow ~Cole~

Last edited by Cole Train; 02-12-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

I found some stuff to do the texture of the plastic and i'm doing a semi-gloss color for it. It's a black and i did a test shoot on another piece and it matches pretty damn close.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

This is the DD i went with. I'm trying to do the whole thing for $300 or less and with this i got it for $222 shipped. Also got an Ipod adapter and steering wheel control interface for it. At $275 right now and i had the bezel(got from a local yard for free with some other stuff i got last summer). The paint was $15 for all stuff. Tools i had already and had Bondo from doing my fuel rail covers. This is gonna be a tight budget at $300

P.S. i didn't need a Navigation radio because i hardly ever go anywhere that requires it(unlike my trucks Kenwood DD). Wish they'd offer one that doesn't need DVD either but oh well.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! I picked up a bezel for $25 shipped to send off to DD. Total price from DD was $100, plus my $12 shipping to get the bezel there.

Really thought about trying to mod it myself, but I figured they are the experts (sure I could do it, but I'd have to rework it a few times due to learning curve), I'd spend a minimum of $20-$30 in supplies, and being that I have a 2.5 year old with another on the way, I'd have no time to actually get it done.

Looking forward to seeing the results!!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

I'm fairly handy with bondo and whatnot being that i grew up around my dad that owns and works in a body shop. I just was scared to tackle it, being an interior part. But since i had a really nice condition spare i figured i may as well give it a try. I'm loosely following this How To https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...din-bezel.html

Here's what i accomplished today. Evened out the sides with plastic inserts done with Epoxy. I'm hoping to lay down Bondo today yet as well I was planning to send off to Dennis but i just don't want to wait for the turnaround. If this turns out i won't have to send it. If it doesn't, i'll send my other one to him and just have to wait

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you order the steering wheel control adapter from? My car had a DD in it when I got it and the steering wheel controls dont work.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Ebay it's a Pac SWI-RC That's the cheapest i was able to find them at($45 or so) What brand radio? how you hook it up depends on the radio brand.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C'mon now....that's no way to treat the Peach!!!

Looking good man. I was at a stand still after my car was broke into, if I should go the Double Din route, or go back with what I had, a single DIN and the HUMount. I ended up going with the HUMount, so it matches my 6LE dash gauges.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

The Birds have it easy for doing a double din due to it being such a small bezel. The Camaro has the huge bezel and you have to end up painting the whole thing. The birds you just have the small part to paint. I love the HUMounts but they aren't cheap and for the difference in price between a basic DD and a nice single is marginal. Having the DD updates the look of the inside alot

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cole Train
The Birds have it easy for doing a double din due to it being such a small bezel. The Camaro has the huge bezel and you have to end up painting the whole thing. The birds you just have the small part to paint. I love the HUMounts but they aren't cheap and for the difference in price between a basic DD and a nice single is marginal. Having the DD updates the look of the inside alot
Oh yeah, I went back and forth for a month trying to decide if I wanted to go with a Double Din. It would make using an ipod a breeze. Oh well, I'm happy either way.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Made more progress this evening Sanded down and formed the bondo and squared up the corners. I wanted it to form somewhat the same as stock curves of the bezel. After sanding it i used some texture stuff i got from one of the local hardware shops in their body work section. It's a sealer and makes a texture to it. I'll be doing a flat black and a flat/matte clear on top of this. The flat is a primer/paint combo. In the one pic you can see the texture spray on it ~Cole~

Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Finished it's a little glossy but i'm guessing it'll dull down as i wipe, clean and use it. Also it's dark in the car(dark tint) most of the time so you won't notice it. If it bugs me enough i'll just scuff it and shoot it in flat black only and not clear it(the clear is what's giving it the gloss look). It's also fresh paint too and the flash makes it look more shiny that it is in person.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Started this yesterday afternoon and finished this evening. Have about 4.5 hours into it. The hardest part is sanding the bondo and forming it. Plus the wait time between stages. Not bad though and could do one again easily. After I get the stereo in I'll maybe build the other bezel in the car still or sell that one. Its PERFECT.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cole Train
Ebay it's a Pac SWI-RC That's the cheapest i was able to find them at($45 or so) What brand radio? how you hook it up depends on the radio brand.
Amazon has them for $38.99 shipped. I just bought mine off there.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And, nice job!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. Here's one more pic after it's setup overnight. It's still glossy but looks better in natural light than it does in the pics last night ~Cole~

Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Very well done. I just pulled the bezel of my 35th anniversary...starting the job and haven't selected the radio but leaning heavily towards DD. I didn't realize the width of the DD was narrow. Still learning. Haven't yet removed the radio...haven't figured out how to get behind it yet and taking it real slow.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i guess the OEM radio's are 10mm wider on each side than a standard DD. The programming of the PAC controller sucked but after an hour i figured it out. I now have a spare bezel that i'm gonna be likely selling eventually. Maybe i'll keep it, who knows.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Came out good!

Quick Reply: Made a double din bezel