Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CD Player for a 96 z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default CD Player for a 96 z28

Just curious if you guys know of a cd player that isn't to expense that will fit easily into a 96 camaro z28 without any modifications to make it fit. I would also like the cd player to have a jack where i can plug in my ipod into it! Any ideas? any specific units in mind? I eventually may put some new speakers in the car and maybe add a mild subwoofer.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

virtually ANY single DIN radio will work with a dash kit and wire harness, Whats your budget, You can find some real nice Pioneers with Bluetooth, Aux input (headphone input jack), Ipod control (with proper cable) in the 120-150 range or if you don't want bluetooth I can point you to one that is 90 bucks via PM then you would have like 30-40 in dash kit and wire harness.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
virtually ANY single DIN radio will work with a dash kit and wire harness, Whats your budget, You can find some real nice Pioneers with Bluetooth, Aux input (headphone input jack), Ipod control (with proper cable) in the 120-150 range or if you don't want bluetooth I can point you to one that is 90 bucks via PM then you would have like 30-40 in dash kit and wire harness.
I would like to find a double din that fits in with no hassle. I like clarion brand and pioneer. I would like it to work well with my stock bose speakers. how much rms per speaker should i be looking for, maybe a upgrade in speakers in the future? thanks and my range is 70-200 bucks
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it a Bose stock system. If so scrap it all install new radio and speakers and run wiring from headunit to all the speakers to avoid having to deal with the bose stuff its a pita.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You can get an adapter to convert standard head unit signal for use with factory Bose speakers (the PAC OEM-1 is the best known adapter).

However, there is no way to fit a double DIN head unit into the factory 1.5 DIN opening without modifying the opening - it's just physically impossible. The aftermarket double DIN head unit face is about 1" taller but also about 3/4" narrower than the factory opening.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You can get an adapter to convert standard head unit signal for use with factory Bose speakers (the PAC OEM-1 is the best known adapter).

However, there is no way to fit a double DIN head unit into the factory 1.5 DIN opening without modifying the opening - it's just physically impossible. The aftermarket double DIN head unit face is about 1" taller but also about 3/4" narrower than the factory opening.
I have the really tall tape player in my 96 z28 i thought it was a double din? If not i will just get a single din cd player with the adapter kit? I am keeping my bose speakers in i dont want to tear apart the doors at the moment. they should sound okay with a new head unit. any good cd player suggestions?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Your tape player (and what I had in my car originally) is 1.5 din.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
I would like to find a double din that fits in with no hassle. I like clarion brand and pioneer. I would like it to work well with my stock bose speakers. how much rms per speaker should i be looking for, maybe a upgrade in speakers in the future? thanks and my range is 70-200 bucks
Your flat out just NOT going to find a NEW Pioneer Double Din in that budget, single sure, you can find a nice single DIN in that range.

ALL 4th gens are a 1.5 DIN opening so there is no "easy" way of making a double din fit, you'll need to either hack up your bezel or buy a modified bezel at a cost of like half your max budget and depending on the double din chosen you may have to cut inside the dash for clearance.

Radio suggestions:
Pioneer DEH-X7500S (no bluetooth but can be found under 100 bucks)
Pioneer DEH-X8500BH (last years model so cheaper then the next one)
Pioneer DEH-X8600BH (this years model with all the bells and whistles)
Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

I have the Pioneer DEH-X8500BH. I installed it last October, and only drove the car for about a month before putting it away for the winter, but I really like it. The DEH-X8600BH came out a month or two later, & I wish I had that model now. It's just laid out a little nicer.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DamonZ28
I have the Pioneer DEH-X8500BH. I installed it last October, and only drove the car for about a month before putting it away for the winter, but I really like it. The DEH-X8600BH came out a month or two later, & I wish I had that model now. It's just laid out a little nicer.
okay so i am going with the single din, do they make any nice clarion cd players? i will just get the adapter kit and the plug to convert the bose speakers to the cd player
Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like the clarion cz 702 what do i need to mount this into my 96 camaro
and will the adapter work so i can keep the stock bose speakers
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
okay so i am going with the single din, do they make any nice clarion cd players? i will just get the adapter kit and the plug to convert the bose speakers to the cd player
I don't know anything about Clarion head units. I do have the adapter for Bose speakers I'd sell for $10 + shipping if you can't find one anywhere, but Walmart has them for about $15-20 too.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Like any head unit replacement in a GM vehicle of that time, you will need a mounting kit (to make the single DIN HU fit the 1.5 DIN opening), a harness adapter (so that you can make it plug and play and not butcher the factory wiring), and an antenna adapter (to make the tiny GM antenna plug fit into the standard Motorola socket on the new HU). All of that should cost around $50 total.

Then you also need an adapter such as the OEM-1 to convert the output signal of the new HU to match the Bose system. That's because the Bose system uses a unique setup where each speaker has its own attached amplifier.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If all your stock bose stuff is working correctly you need the bose adapter.
If it's not working correctly and the speakers are bad scrap it and start over deck and speakers.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I asked a stereo installer at Best Buy when I was in there and he said I don't need the Scosche FAI-3A Bose/Premium Sound Interface to attach to my basic stereo connector. He said even though your car has the bose system your 96 Camaro doesn't need the boss adapter. He said some cars need it and some don't.

I don't know what to do? I looked at the general motors stereo connector that I bought and all the wires match up with the factory wiring and for the new clarion head unit. I am thinking of temporarily hooking up the wires and see if the new head unit will work with the bose speakers.

Are you guys very sure that I need a Bose adapter? And if so where can I find one? I haven't seen a Bose adapter at any of the local stores that I visited? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The first problem is ever believing anything you are told at Best Buy. They try hard but often their lack of specific knowledge is staggering.

That said, he was not entirely wrong. The Bose system in Camaros was more tolerant of over-voltage than many of the later GM Bose systems used mostly in their SUVs. You can connect a low-power head unit directly to the Bose system but you will find that you lose full use of your volume control. When you turn the ****, the volume will ramp up very quickly and you will not be able to use the full range of the control.

For the $30 cost of the adapter, I would much rather do it right the first time. You can find the adapter in dozens of places online including Amazon (with free shipping).
Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay thanks WhiteBird00, So instead of hacking into the pink wire coming from the car wires and connecting it to the bluw/white wire coming from the clarion head unit "which would signal the bose amps to turn on" you suggest using the adapter.

Will these adapters they sell work for all five of my speakers in the car, remember I have a speaker in the back quarter panel too! I would like to buy the Scosche FAI-3A adapter that they have at walmart. Is this all I need "no other gadgets to hook onto that or more wires?" Is it a pain in the butt to hook up for a novice and if so should I just tap into the pink wire coming from the car and forget the adapter? Sounds like the adapter is a must though. Thanks

actually I am now editing this post after watching a review on the scosche adapter and they say the adapter puts out horrible sound. So I either need to go with the PAC SNI-35 or just hook the wires up directly to the car wires which I may try and see how sensitive the volume is and how it sounds! I know I am making this more difficult that it really is lol, I just wish my car didn't have this pain in the a$$ bose system!

Last edited by 350 groundpounder; 02-21-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, the adapters work for all the speakers - either three or five depending on the particular version of Bose you have.

Both the Scosche FAI-3A and the PAC SNI-35 are just line level converters. They are not specifically designed for Bose systems - they just step down the speaker level output of the head unit to the low level required by external amplifiers. Both must be spliced into the wiring at the head unit.

The PAC OEM-1 on the other hand is a plug-and-play adapter that handles everything you need to make an aftermarket HU work with the Bose amps and speakers. You don't have to know anything about the setup - just plug it in and go.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

POST HOOK-UP UPDATE......THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!

I got my clarion cz702 all wired up today. I decided to just wire the blue/white wire directly to the factory pink wire coming from my car, "I used a 1 amp fused just in case." To my surprise it worked great. This HU sounds 10x's better than the stock bose tape player. I can actually hear what the bose speakers are supposed to sound like now. They sound great and the HU puts out excellent stock sound. The volume isn't sensitive either with wiring directly to the bose amps. Only complaint I have is there is a hiss in the speakers when the volume is on 0, probably a simple fix?

I am very happy with the clarion HU! Works great with my ipod and I am getting ready to hook up the satellite radio! FM radio picks up the stations much better with this HU then the stock one too! All sounds good for now but by this summer I am sure I will add a amp and maybe two 10's in the back for a little extra bass.

Quick Reply: CD Player for a 96 z28