Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hiding dash speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiding dash speakers?

I bought all new speakers for my 2002 camaro and today while i was wiring my old sail speakers into my friends miata, I was curious if there were any other places I could wire some speakers? It seems as if im getting mostly piercing highs out of my speakers and lows, of course, from my subs. I took off my dash once and I didnt remember seeing a place...any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds more of an electrical issue than a need for more speakers. I'm using stock locations in my T/A and it sounds better than my buddies BMW which has twice the number of speakers.

Are you sure you bought the right speakers? Also do you have an aftermarket head unit?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Weird. I have all the same brand speakers, 4" in the sail 6 1/2" round everywhere else (I think). I installed a Kenwood aftermarket head unit while I replaced the speakers. Anyway, I bypassed the amp that was built into the car and just re-wired the whole thing. So there shouldn't be any reason for it to sound so screetchy. Maybe I should just invest into some high dollar speakers. I bought the $80 ones.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You should have left the amp connected. If you didn't butcher the wiring, you should consider reconnecting the amp. There is no good reason to take the Monsoon amp out of the system unless you are redoing your system with an aftermarket amp.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You should have left the amp connected. If you didn't butcher the wiring, you should consider reconnecting the amp. There is no good reason to take the Monsoon amp out of the system unless you are redoing your system with an aftermarket amp.
That what I thought, but the amp was at the time the major source of the crackling. My new head unit can power the speakers very well, so the stock amp is pretty much useless.

I took a look at my sail speakers and realized they weren't wired properly. After I rewired them, I got a clear sound. Knowing this, I'll just go through and re-wire everything properly. Thanks for the help
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTeej
That what I thought, but the amp was at the time the major source of the crackling. My new head unit can power the speakers very well, so the stock amp is pretty much useless.

I took a look at my sail speakers and realized they weren't wired properly. After I rewired them, I got a clear sound. Knowing this, I'll just go through and re-wire everything properly. Thanks for the help
Crackling? Like the amp itself was making noise or the speakers connected to the amp were crackling?

All the amp does is.....amplify the signal from the head unit. Get a crappy head unit (like the OEM one) and your amplifying a distorted signal. But throw in a new(er) HU and your system will sound 100x better.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

That's correct... it is very unusual for a Monsoon amp to introduce any noise to the system. In fact, I've never heard of a case where noise was caused by a faulty Monsoon amp. Generally when they fail they drop channels or won't turn on at all - and even that is uncommon. Monsoon amps are often knocked for being small and underpowered but they have proven to be quite reliable and will produce clean output when given clean input.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Either way, I rewired everything in my car today, I was sick of the cruddy sound. After I did so, I had a perfectly clear HD sound. I have no idea what I did to fix it, but it works very well. Whoever reads this post, just rewire your car xD Thanks for the help!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Long story even shorter, honest truth is you MUST ditch the monsoon system if you are a sound guy, period. Its well known. If you don't care too much, then run it till it blows. But if you want sound that will blow your doors off, save up and upgrade the system. If you are familiar with electronics some what, it shouldn't be too hard to get an aftermarket nice head unit and wire it up. eventually add an amp and maybe subs. My two cents. However i am also running an 8 speaker 1400 watt system that is incedible so I am one of those sound guys. :-)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrocz76
Long story even shorter, honest truth is you MUST ditch the monsoon system if you are a sound guy, period. Its well known. If you don't care too much, then run it till it blows. But if you want sound that will blow your doors off, save up and upgrade the system. If you are familiar with electronics some what, it shouldn't be too hard to get an aftermarket nice head unit and wire it up. eventually add an amp and maybe subs. My two cents. However i am also running an 8 speaker 1400 watt system that is incedible so I am one of those sound guys. :-)
Haha, someone who gets me! :p I'm running two 10" subs in mine. Between you and me, I made a custom cut out for a 6x9" on each sail panel. Totally blows my old 4"'s out of the water.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Haha, someone who gets me! :p I'm running two 10" subs in mine. Between you and me, I made a custom cut out for a 6x9" on each sail panel. Totally blows my old 4"'s out of the water.
Haha, I swapped everything. Top of the line pioneer 7inch head unit, all Memphis audio. Added Memphis tweeters in the pillars, full range in the doors and sails, and 6x9's in the hatch, lol. I'm an audiophile I suppose. 2 Memphis 12's pushed by 1000w amp and a 400w pushing all my highs. Yup. I should post pics.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

sail or hatch? if the 6x9's replaced the 4" then thats the HATCH speakers not the sails speakers.

Haha, I swapped everything. Top of the line pioneer 7inch head unit, all Memphis audio. Added Memphis tweeters in the pillars, full range in the doors and sails, and 6x9's in the hatch, lol. I'm an audiophile I suppose. 2 Memphis 12's pushed by 1000w amp and a 400w pushing all my highs. Yup. I should post pics.
You call yourself an audiophile yet you put 2 sets of FULL RANGE speakers BEHIND you, completely wrecking your sound stage, yeah I don't think so, audiophiles plan out their systems with the sound stage in mind which you clearly didn't.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
sail or hatch? if the 6x9's replaced the 4" then thats the HATCH speakers not the sails speakers.

You call yourself an audiophile yet you put 2 sets of FULL RANGE speakers BEHIND you, completely wrecking your sound stage, yeah I don't think so, audiophiles plan out their systems with the sound stage in mind which you clearly didn't.
Haha I was waiting for someone to call this out.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards

Both. Sail and hatch speakers.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

So you butchered the panels in order to mount 1970's vintage technology (6x9 speakers) in the equivalent of 1970's locations (the rear parcel shelf)? Did you install an 8-track player to round out the whole system?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Teching In

So you butchered the panels in order to mount 1970's vintage technology (6x9 speakers) in the equivalent of 1970's locations (the rear parcel shelf)? Did you install an 8-track player to round out the whole system?
Yup. Yup. And that's a perfect idea. I have some nice Pink Floyd and Queen cassettes I could pop in there.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's correct... it is very unusual for a Monsoon amp to introduce any noise to the system. In fact, I've never heard of a case where noise was caused by a faulty Monsoon amp. Generally when they fail they drop channels or won't turn on at all - and even that is uncommon. Monsoon amps are often knocked for being small and underpowered but they have proven to be quite reliable and will produce clean output when given clean input.
Mine was all distorted one one channel so I ripped it out and just run the doors and hatch speakers off my aftermarket head unit for the time being. No subs. Doesn't sound the best, but better than the scratchy amp.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 Focal tweets in the A pillars...6 in Focal in the doors...3 10in Eclipse in the rear...is all u need!! PERIOD! I also suggest u ditch the Memphis...step up your front image rear fill. I'm sorry sir but u are no sound guy!

Quick Reply: Hiding dash speakers?