Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Avic D3 chime module and wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Avic D3 chime module and wiring?

Hello....we have an avic d3 with the soundgate chime module interface and was assuming it's needed to keep the chimes?
The unit is going in a "99"Camaro w/monsoon and still aren't sure how to wire this thing. It came out of a Chevy truck and has a different connector at the end of the d3 wiring.
We just ordered the metra 70-1858. I'm not even sure what to ask..... I know the wires will be color coated but that seems to leave out wires like the pink wire. Also on the truck connector they have 2 yellow wires going into 1 connector slot. There is also 2 blacks going into one connector slot?? As you can probably tell we are awful with electronics! Thanks in advance! Jennifer
Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need the Soundgate piece at all for the Camaro. Just wire the 70-1858 to the Pioneer harness and you're all set.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

been a few years but I seam to remember it being more of a purple then a pink, but that is probably the wire for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor, only needed to feed the speedometer in the radio, without it it defaults to GPS based speed estimates) there is also a green wire that goes to the parking brake (unless thats been bypassed, that prevents you from playing DVD's or changing anything navigation related unless the parking brake is engaged, as for the rest of the wires from the 2 harnesses on the D3 just color match them to the new harness and as said eliminate the soundgate those are for cars where the door chime is built into the headunit.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Ok, Thanks so much guys!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Basically the Metra 70-1858 harness adapter will connect color for color to the Pioneer harness (e.g. red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) but there are a couple of wires that won't match.

The pink wire in the Pioneer harness is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) signal used by the GPS to provide more accurate position display. There is no corresponding wire in the Metra harness. Fortunately, the Camaro has speed sensitive volume which requires a VSS signal so you can connect the Pioneer pink wire to the Camaro dark green with white stripe wire (it's in the car's 10-pin white radio connector).

The Pioneer yellow/black wire is completely unnecessary and can be left off. It is designed to mute external devices when the GPS is speaking. It only works with older phones such as the Motorola StarTac so it is very unlikely you'll need it.

The Pioneer orange/white wire controls the dimming of the display when the car's lights are on. You want to connect that to the orange/white wire in the Metra harness. The plain orange wire in the Metra harness will be left unused - it is for use with some aftermarket radios that dim in sync with the dash dimmer. The Pioneer just has two settings (bright day and dim night) so the orange/white wire is a simple on/off signal.

The Pioneer purple/white wire will be unused unless you have installed a backup camera in the car. If so, it connects to the backup light power at the tail lights to turn on the camera display when in reverse.

The Pioneer light green wire should be connected to the parking brake switch wire but that means pulling the console to access it. It is easier to patch it into the same parking brake wire at the DRL module which is mounted on the defroster duct right behind the radio. Connect the Pioneer light green wire to the light blue wire in the blue connector at the DRL module (the module has a blue connector and a black connector - both with blue wires - so make sure you get the right connector).
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Basically the Metra 70-1858 harness adapter will connect color for color to the Pioneer harness (e.g. red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.) but there are a couple of wires that won't match.

The pink wire in the Pioneer harness is the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) signal used by the GPS to provide more accurate position display. There is no corresponding wire in the Metra harness. Fortunately, the Camaro has speed sensitive volume which requires a VSS signal so you can connect the Pioneer pink wire to the Camaro dark green with white stripe wire (it's in the car's 10-pin white radio connector).

The Pioneer yellow/black wire is completely unnecessary and can be left off. It is designed to mute external devices when the GPS is speaking. It only works with older phones such as the Motorola StarTac so it is very unlikely you'll need it.

The Pioneer orange/white wire controls the dimming of the display when the car's lights are on. You want to connect that to the orange/white wire in the Metra harness. The plain orange wire in the Metra harness will be left unused - it is for use with some aftermarket radios that dim in sync with the dash dimmer. The Pioneer just has two settings (bright day and dim night) so the orange/white wire is a simple on/off signal.

The Pioneer purple/white wire will be unused unless you have installed a backup camera in the car. If so, it connects to the backup light power at the tail lights to turn on the camera display when in reverse.

The Pioneer light green wire should be connected to the parking brake switch wire but that means pulling the console to access it. It is easier to patch it into the same parking brake wire at the DRL module which is mounted on the defroster duct right behind the radio. Connect the Pioneer light green wire to the light blue wire in the blue connector at the DRL module (the module has a blue connector and a black connector - both with blue wires - so make sure you get the right connector).
Thanks for the info! Seems easy enough!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Got it hooked up temporarily for testing, and noticed when you turn the key back it shuts off vs the factory monsoon that stays on for 10 minutes. Is that normal?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Nope, you missed a wire or popped a fuse.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Remember that the retained accessory power (RAP) only works until a door is opened. If you're sitting in the car with the door open while testing, the radio will shut off immediately.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Teching In

WhiteBird00, great help for wiring! I am attempting to install a Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX in my 02' Trans AM vert.

Just so I am tracking correctly, the firebird didn't have a variable speed function so the pink wire will not be used?

I don't have a orange/white wire on my aftermarket wire harness. Only a solid orange one. So where would I get my on/off dim signal?

I plan to install a back-up camera soon as well. Do I have to run a wire all the way to the back to tap into the back-up lights for the purple/white wire or is there a better place near the HU?

Which wire would I tap into for the power antenna (solid blue wire)?

Last question, can I bypass the parking brake switch wire somehow so my passenger can input an address into the GPS while driving?

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by timuh60; 06-15-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by timuh60
WhiteBird00, great help for wiring! I am attempting to install a Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX in my 02' Trans AM vert.

Just so I am tracking correctly, the firebird didn't have a variable speed function so the pink wire will not be used?
Firebirds have the VSS wire in other locations (e.g. behind the instrument cluster) but since they didn't have the speed compensated volume, the signal is not available in the stereo harness. It provides slightly better accuracy for GPS but is not essential to GPS operation.

I don't have a orange/white wire on my aftermarket wire harness. Only a solid orange one. So where would I get my on/off dim signal?
What kind of aftermarket harness did you get? It would be far more common to not have the plain orange wire since the majority of aftermarket head units don't use the dimmer sync. However, if the orange/white wire is not there, you can use the plain orange wire - it should still work. The other option would be to move the orange wire pin to the position in the connector that lines up with the brown factory wire when plugged in.

I plan to install a back-up camera soon as well. Do I have to run a wire all the way to the back to tap into the back-up lights for the purple/white wire or is there a better place near the HU?
There isn't anywhere better to connect to the backup light circuit. The switch on the transmission is closer but would require running the wire outside the car. Connecting to the backup lights at the back can be done without leaving the passenger compartment. It's actually fairly easy to route the wire under the door sill plate past the rear seat and, in a convertible, into the trunk to the tail lights.

Which wire would I tap into for the power antenna (solid blue wire)?
The harness adapter should have a matching blue wire for power antenna. It will match up to the factory pink wire when plugged in. If not, connect to the blue/white harness wire which is designated for the remote power on signal to an aftermarket amp (not required with a Monsoon amp).

Last question, can I bypass the parking brake switch wire somehow so my passenger can input an address into the GPS while driving?
We don't discuss ways to bypass safety features in this forum. There is an AVIC specific forum on the internet that has lots of information like that. If I were to want to suggest a bypass, I might make note of the fact that the parking brake switch is just a grounding switch... so when the light green wire is grounded, the Pioneer head unit thinks the parking brake is on. But that's only if I were to want to suggest a bypass, which of course I don't.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Teching In

You rock!!!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Remember that the retained accessory power (RAP) only works until a door is opened. If you're sitting in the car with the door open while testing, the radio will shut off immediately.
We will have to try it again. I'm pretty sure we had both doors closed. The fuses were checked right before it was put in. Anything else we should check for?
Everything else seemed to work like it should........unless you want to count a blown door speaker.

Quick Reply: Avic D3 chime module and wiring?