Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Couple stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Couple stereo questions

The stock Monsoon system in my T/A has had it. I've put it off long enough.

Right now the car still has its complete stock system from 2000, and after 158k miles it sound like its under water playing through a tin can

I have one of those cheaper Pioneer setups that Walmart sells, I had it in my truck before I sold it. It has the head unit, two 6x9's and two 6.5's. Is it worth it to install the head unit and the two 6.5's in the door, and buy the two Bazooka 6.5" subs for the sail panel while running it through the stock Monsoon amp? I know the stock Monsoon setup runs at 2ohms and the stuff I'd be putting in is 4ohm.

Or...

Would I be better off replacing the blown speakers with new ones while keeping the stock head unit? I'd really like to use my ipod in the car, but if the Pioneer setup is going to cause issues I can take the trade off.

I didn't want this to turn into a big ordeal, but we all know how that goes.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

In general, replacing the factory head unit will give you a large improvement in sound quality. That's assuming you have the correct, functional speakers. The Bazookas work well in the sail panels but your plans for the doors are problematic. I suggest you read the Monsoon FAQ sticky first and then look at possibly putting the correct component speakers in the doors. In the long run you'll like it better.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I have exactly what you need for that car.
If you want to do the bazookas and a radio I have them and include your install gear for the radio in addition to using top notch gear. The radios I use all have bluetooth and other stuff to bring your car up to date and have much improved sound.
I also have correct speaker packages that are specifically for your car vs. 4ohm Walmart speakers. If your going to upgrade your system, might as well do it right. Putting 4ohm Walmart Pioneer speakers in your car isn't a great start....just sayin.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that's what I figured. I have them laying around, and anything is better then blown out stockers, but I don't want to do this twice. I'll look into the packages Kee Audio is offering.

I have an older Kenwood amp that powered two 12's. Could I use this as a replacement for the stock monsoon amp?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
Yeah that's what I figured. I have them laying around, and anything is better then blown out stockers, but I don't want to do this twice. I'll look into the packages Kee Audio is offering.

I have an older Kenwood amp that powered two 12's. Could I use this as a replacement for the stock monsoon amp?
an amp for powering 2-12's is NOTHING like what the monsoon amp does, the monsoon amp powers ALL the speakers in the car (except the front tweeters on some, I forget which one), you would not use a sub amp to replace it.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok cool.

As you can tell I build engines, not sound systems

Quick Reply: Couple stereo questions