Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best sailpanel subs for TA with Pioneer AVIC D3

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best sailpanel subs for TA with Pioneer AVIC D3

Best sailpanel subs for the money for a 2002 TA with the Pioneer AVIC D3, looking for a low/mid price, something descent.

Some of the stats from the OM are...

Max power output 50 W x 4 + 70 W x 1 for subwoofer ch/2 ohm

Frequency 50/80/125 hz

Thought these might be worth a look?
(non-sponsor link removed) BOSS Audio NX654 Onyx 400-watt 4 way auto 6.5" Coaxial Speaker

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-14-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your TA has the factory Monsoon then it DOESN'T MATTER what radio you have in it as the power to the subs is provided by the Monsoon amp.

either way you DON'T want a Coaxial speaker like the one you linked anyway in that location.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Alright I guess we know I don't know speakers...

How about...

(non-sponsor link removed) Pyramid W64 6.5-Inch 200 Watt MidBass Poly Woofer

or

(non-sponsor link removed) Planet Audio TQ622 6.5-Inch 2-Way Poly Injection cone Speaker System

Is the DVC a must or real good for the sail panel subs?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-14-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

well if you want to get the full power from the monsoon amp you need the dual voice coil, with only 1 voice coil you can only use 1 of the 2 sets of wires back there, outside of that the Pyramids are the only ones that are even the right type of speaker for that location. Just remember you get what you pay for and those are sold indiviually so you need 2 of them and by that point your very near halfway to the cost of the bazooka's from DoubleDMods or KeeAudio which are universally considered far better then the brands you've listed so far and are actual dual voice coils, I know some people have found some Pyle DVC 6"'s that they've used as replacements, I don't know the exact model number, but it's similiar in price to the brands you are listing and is considered a cheap replacement option, personally I would fork up the extra cash for bazookas.

NO 2-way, 3-way or 4-way speakers.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Ok, been reading...and a few seemed to like these, at least I think it is these...

(non-sponsor link removed) AUDIOPIPE TSV6R 6" 150W Car Audio Power Subwoofer DVC

I just want some good ones for the sail panels and save my $$ for the front door speakers

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-14-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I have used the AudioPipe subs in a Trans Am. They have come down in price quite a bit since then. They are a good fit with a Monsoon system and produce clean bass but they have been known to have build quality issues with the spider (the part the speaker cone attaches to) detaching from the frame especially if roughly handled during installation. The parts are only glued together rather than attached with screws. But if you are careful during installation and you don't push them too hard (too much volume) they sound pretty good.

Besides, as Daniel said, by the time you buy two of them you're more than half way to the price of a set of Bazooka subs that have been the go-to replacement subs for Firebirds for years now.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Why do we need a sub with a DVC?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 02WS6FREEBIRD
Why do we need a sub with a DVC?
The factory configuration of the Monsoon system in a Firebird has two separate channels of low frequency signal from the amp to each sail panel sub so you need two voice coils to make use of both channels. You could use an SVC sub but then you could only connect one channel on each side, giving up half of the available power.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The factory configuration of the Monsoon system in a Firebird has two separate channels of low frequency signal from the amp to each sail panel sub so you need two voice coils to make use of both channels. You could use an SVC sub but then you could only connect one channel on each side, giving up half of the available power.
So forgive the question but when I replaced the head unit with the pioneer avic d3 and wired it up the signal is still going to the (I assume separate amp)?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

So forgive the question but when I replaced the head unit with the pioneer avic d3 and wired it up the signal is still going to the (I assume separate amp)?
Yes, when you plugged in the new Pioneer head unit after using a harness adapter spliced to the HU (you DID use a harness adapter, right?), it connected the four channel output of the HU to the input side of the Monsoon amp located behind the quarter trim in front of the spare tire. The amp splits the signal into eight output channels and filters for the type of speaker mounted at each location - doors, sail panels and hatch area.

You will find that reading the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section will give you plenty of information about how Monsoon systems work and what can be done with them.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Yes, when you plugged in the new Pioneer head unit after using a harness adapter spliced to the HU (you DID use a harness adapter, right?), it connected the four channel output of the HU to the input side of the Monsoon amp located behind the quarter trim in front of the spare tire. The amp splits the signal into eight output channels and filters for the type of speaker mounted at each location - doors, sail panels and hatch area.

You will find that reading the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section will give you plenty of information about how Monsoon systems work and what can be done with them.
I used the harness that came with the avic (it was a used avic) but all speakers in the car have sound so I guess I hooked it up correctly, electric and wire hookup being my weak link...Thank you for all the input and I will read the stickies...some more...Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Just ordered the Bazookas from Kee
Old 07-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I used the harness that came with the avic (it was a used avic) but all speakers in the car have sound so I guess I hooked it up correctly, electric and wire hookup being my weak link...Thank you for all the input and I will read the stickies...some more...Thanks again.
If you were able to plug the HU into the factory harness without having to cut and splice wires then it already had the harness adapter on it. The purpose of the adapter is to simplify the wiring and eliminate cutting up factory harnesses.

You didn't happen to get it from VIP1 on this forum did you? If so, it was one I sold him a few years ago. It's an excellent head unit that works well with Monsoon systems because of the extensive sound customization options it offers.

Just ordered the Bazookas from Kee
I think you will be very pleased with how it will sound.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Launching!

I don't remember where I bought it but it appears to have been back in 2011 and I have several PM's from VIP1, I looked through a few and did not see any mention of a sale, just asked him questions about the "KITT" display on his unit, anyway I have never been really pleased with the sound of the avic vs the monsoon, maybe that I have not messed with the controls enough as I just found the different "sound stages" if that's what you call then, my unit is set to off, I noticed that the 3 or 4 presets all added power and sound to the unit, so maybe after my speaker replacement it will sound better than the monsoon...maybe?

I did a speaker up-grade before I bought the avic and the hatch speakers still sound good (for them), the sail panel subs had dry rotted and have to be replaced, the door ones still sound ok but could be better, are there good replacements for the doors that won't make my wallet cry any more? Thanks for the help and is there anything else you can add?

Last edited by 02WS6FREEBIRD; 07-15-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

I don't remember where I bought it but it appears to have been back in 2011 and I have several PM's from VIP1, I looked through a few and did not see any mention of a sale, just asked him questions about the "KITT" display on his unit, anyway I have never been really pleased with the sound of the avic vs the monsoon, maybe that I have not messed with the controls enough as I just found the different "sound stages" if that's what you call then, my unit is set to off, I noticed that the 3 or 4 presets all added power and sound to the unit, so maybe after my speaker replacement it will sound better than the monsoon...maybe?

I did a speaker up-grade before I bought the avic and the hatch speakers still sound good (for them), the sail panel subs had dry rotted and have to be replaced, the door ones still sound ok but could be better, are there good replacements for the doors that won't make my wallet cry any more? Thanks for the help and is there anything else you can add?
make sure you don't have any HPF or LPF's turned on, for most cars you usually use a HPF to filter the bass from door speakers, but in the monsoon system that wrecks the low end output as the monsoon amp is not getting the full range input it wants.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You didn't happen to get it from VIP1 on this forum did you? If so, it was one I sold him a few years ago.
I still have it installed. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Replacing the dry rotted sail panel subs will do wonders for bringing back that warm full sound that the Monsoon does well. You're fortunate with a Firebird in that there are no special requirements for the door speakers - just about any 6.5" component set will work. Camaros have the issue of needing component sets that mount the tweeter in the middle of the woofer limiting the available selection of replacements.

6.5" component sets can vary widely in both quality and sound. Sound is often a personal preference. For example, Infinity makes components you could use and some people love them because they are "bright" (lots of treble) while others listen to the same speakers and call them harsh (the common quote is "they make my ears bleed"). Your best bet is to check out a local audio shop and listen to the speakers you're considering before you buy them. Other inexpensive brands you might consider are Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine and Polk. The CDT CL-61CV components from Kee Audio are very good if you can spend a little more ($150/pair). Stay away from Boss and Pyle.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Replacing the dry rotted sail panel subs will do wonders for bringing back that warm full sound that the Monsoon does well. You're fortunate with a Firebird in that there are no special requirements for the door speakers - just about any 6.5" component set will work. Camaros have the issue of needing component sets that mount the tweeter in the middle of the woofer limiting the available selection of replacements.

6.5" component sets can vary widely in both quality and sound. Sound is often a personal preference. For example, Infinity makes components you could use and some people love them because they are "bright" (lots of treble) while others listen to the same speakers and call them harsh (the common quote is "they make my ears bleed"). Your best bet is to check out a local audio shop and listen to the speakers you're considering before you buy them. Other inexpensive brands you might consider are Kicker, Pioneer, Alpine and Polk. The CDT CL-61CV components from Kee Audio are very good if you can spend a little more ($150/pair). Stay away from Boss and Pyle.

I went with the Polk Audio DXi651, was this a good choice?

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by 02WS6FREEBIRD; 07-16-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: revised comments
Old 07-16-2015, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

I went with the Polk Audio DXi651, was this a good choice?

Thanks for all the help!
WRONG kind of speaker for the front door, those are a simple 2-way you need a COMPONENT (like the Polk Audio DB6501 for example, although not recommended) for the front door.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Oh boy...

Quick Reply: Best sailpanel subs for TA with Pioneer AVIC D3