Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New CDT door speakers not as loud as stock ones? Install issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New CDT door speakers not as loud as stock ones? Install issue?

So I was quoted 60$ PER PAIR of speakers installed in my Camaro by a well known huge local car audio shop here. That price made me decide I'd atleast attempt to do the sail panels and rear hatch speakers myself and just pay them 60$ for the doors. I removed the hatch and sail panel speakers and for the past 2 days I've been listening to just the stock door speakers while I waited for my appointment today.

After the install, the speakers don't sound as loud as the stock ones they removed. The lower range bass sound is definitely gone. But I'm also judging off of just the door speakers. The sail panel subs and hatch speakers still arent installed. What worries me though is I know shops are notorious for installing component speakers incorrectly because of the Monsoon amp. Is that a possibility here? They also could have just changed some settings on my head unit. Or maybe I'm just paying too much attention. Is there a way to verify proper installation without removing the speakers?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It's possible they have the tweeter and mid wires reversed. The Monsoon amp filters the signal to the tweeters so reversing the wires would essentially eliminate all bass from the door speaker.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

or they just installed a coaxial speaker with one set of speaker wires or the impedence is too high or being cheap speakers the sensitivity is low or......
Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That was my first response as well but I had to edit after I reread the title saying CDT speakers. I guess he got the package from Kee Audio and just had the big box store do the installation (I'm assuming the unnamed store was Best Buy).
Old 09-10-2015, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That was my first response as well but I had to edit after I reread the title saying CDT speakers. I guess he got the package from Kee Audio and just had the big box store do the installation (I'm assuming the unnamed store was Best Buy).
No, it wasnt a Best Buy install. I did some searches and saw Ian himself complaining they often dont know how to install them properly and will try to get you to buy their stuff. It was Roger's Stereo here in Greenville SC and they have a few branches, warehouse, etc. so I assumed they would know what the hell they're doing. The speakers are the ones from the level 2.5 Kee Audio package.

So if these speakers arent as loud as the stock ones removed and dont seem to have the low range my other stock ones did, it sounds like they definitely wired something wrong?

The frustrating thing is I was watching the install but when one guy heard my car, he pulled me into his office at the front of the building to discuss possibly purchasing the head/cam combo the car has now since hes looking to build a track car. It is immensely frustrating to hand out money to a well known place here and still have them **** it up so now I have to take more time off work to go back there and worry about them possibly trying to blame the speakers or the amp. I just wanted to check with you guys to see if it actually sounded like there was an issue. You'd expect the CDTs to sound at least as good as the ones removed though 'loudness' can be a poor metric.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know what they most likely did? Whitebird's sounds the most likely but I just need to know what to tell them they did wrong in preparation for the 'its the speakers or the amp' defense I'm likely to get.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, what would happen if they were to use the crossover that isnt really needed? I remember them discussing it before I was pulled away.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the cdt front speakers........I installed the left,and compared it to the stock right......volumn was equal........your installers had to screw it up.....I bet they wired it wrong........ask for your crossovers.....see what they say....

Quick Reply: New CDT door speakers not as loud as stock ones? Install issue?