Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issues

I went on a club event to the Lake the week before Memorial weekend. On the way back my alternator decided to die on me after 6 months. I was like... ok no big deal (needless to say it also killed my battery, which has already been taken care of). I got a new reman from Autozone and put it on the car... lasted two days. I took it back and they gave me crap about it, but gave me another one. I put that one on and it lasted me a week and a half. I know they are going to start giving me crap about it because they won't warrenty them if there is an electrical problem in the car. I haven't done any electrical mods in about 4 months. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this? or is it just cheap crap alternators?

James
Old 06-13-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Check your wires. It sounds like you have a break in continuity, or corrosion. While running, is it outputting normal voltage?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Teching In

I checked it at the battery... and when I have a good alternator she's putting 14.5 -15 through the battery.... when the alternator dies I'm only getting 12.5. I'm too big of a guy to get in there and check the alternator as it's running.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Something is blowing your voltage regulator. You need to check for STG and corrosion.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default just my two cents.

Hey guys take it as you will. I used to buy parts from autozone all the time. Until one day we went through 8 starters from there that were dead out of the box. 1 or 2 ok but 8, it was absolutely ridiculous. We gave up on autozone and went over to NAPA first one was perfect and haven't had a problem since. It's only my opinion, but I just don't think some of the parts autozone carries are that great. But I would definitely do some testing in the car before I just rule the bad parts scenario.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I'm gonna buy a high amp from Powermaster, and if i blow this one... oh well... i'll go from there.

Last edited by 99silverbullet; 06-15-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same issues after putting in a system and my pulley so I bought a 160 amp alt thinking it would solve the problem. I found out the hard expensive way, it was the wiring the whole time(new battery ground, batt-alt,batt-fusebox). Plus side is after putting in 4gauge cable everywhere, my amps hit harder than they ever did before.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Teching In

The only electrical mods I've done to the car is my remote starter ( coming out ), Alpine head unit, and LED undercarriage lights. Nothing that really pulls an excessive amount of power from either the alternator or the battery. I am going to pull all the ground straps, and replace the alt -> battery wire with 4ga as soon as the alternator comes in. Also going to replace the other two power wires, and ground wires. This is really bugging me...but we'll figure it out.

James
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99silverbullet
Yeah, I'm gonna buy a high amp from Powermaster, and if i blow this one... oh well... i'll go from there.
you have a PM.