Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help with push start ignition!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with push start ignition!!!

Ok guys yes there are a few threads out there and I checked them but I don't want to bypass my vats and take functionality out of the original turn key ignition. I did this 5 years ago with a 1995 trans am automatic and the relay (pictured) isn't on my 2000 trans am m6. My question is, since this relay isn't behind my glove box like on the 1995, where is it and how can I put my 12v hot wire to wherever it is to get my push start ignition to work? Any help is gladly appreciated I'm just so lost on electronics in general.

Relay from a trans am a4 (purple wire gets hot wire to jump)

Push start almost ready lol
Old 02-04-2016, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Update! I fixed it! I keep vats no security lights and original key works. All I did was put a battery 12v push button wire to the yellow key ignition wire and boom starts up! Pics for reference.

First step finding the wire. I had to cut through some eletrical tape to find the big fat yellow wire coming from the steering column.

Tied into the yellow wire with the switched 12v battery wire from button with a simple clip. (Temperarely) also bypassed clutch switch with zip tie lol just gotta make sure its in neutral everytime tho. But alsways can be clipped off when not needed anymore.

Back of the button. Live 12v battery wire, wire to ignition, ground.

Pepboys start button that lights up when pressed. I like it!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Okay, I'll be the first one to ask... why? If you still have to insert the original key and turn it to the ON position, what is the advantage of the push button? Is it really that awkward to turn the key just a little farther to start the car?
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (06-16-2021)
Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Okay, I'll be the first one to ask... why? If you still have to insert the original key and turn it to the ON position, what is the advantage of the push button? Is it really that awkward to turn the key just a little farther to start the car?
Because Racecar
Old 02-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Sorry, still don't get it. If you're building a car for racing then I would think VATS is the least of your worries and you'd just install a fully functional push-button start that doesn't require using the key.

I understand the theft concerns if you're building a car for the street but then why bother with a push button?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
This is exactly how I feel about this. When I bought my car it had push start and it was the first thing to go. It makes no sense to have to use the key and then push the button. However, if you were to use a proximity key style push start that would be sweet.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wrong size scotch lock, and the wire you spliced into the ignition wire is a smaller gauge? Holy crap, at least wire that up safely and use a relay.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I might do this but integrate it with a proximity key so it's an actual "push to start"...
Old 02-04-2016, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the interest guys. Yes it is JUST a mock up and I'll be using heavier gauge wire for the live 12v side. The only reason I did this is mainly for kicks and fun and my lock cylinder would occasionally act up and what not so I figured why not? I'd like it and I can still turn the key and crank it. I'm not going for a race car look I've just made a temporary solution to a sticky lock cylinder. Do they make a proximity key set for our cars?
Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I might do this but integrate it with a proximity key so it's an actual "push to start"...
^ this I would like to see done.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Wrong size scotch lock, and the wire you spliced into the ignition wire is a smaller gauge? Holy crap, at least wire that up safely and use a relay.
+1

You need a relay in there. I highly doubt that push button can handle the current that your starter solenoid draws...
Old 02-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Proper wiring with relay here, just splice/tap the big yellow wire (do not cut it) as you did to retain full key and VATS function:
http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht

I agree with everyone about the extra step involved to start the car when using the button, but I enjoy having something just a little different and people who ride with me are entertained by it. Plus it make the car feel just a bit more modern to me (though not as cool as the proximity keys). In this case it's really form over function.
I've had mine for over 10years and still enjoy it as much as day 1. Full key and VATS function is retained.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Quiero un noton de arranque secreto

Originally Posted by zfastss
Proper wiring with relay here, just splice/tap the big yellow wire (do not cut it) as you did to retain full key and VATS function:
http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...e%20Switch.mht

I agree with everyone about the extra step involved to start the car when using the button, but I enjoy having something just a little different and people who ride with me are entertained by it. Plus it make the car feel just a bit more modern to me (though not as cool as the proximity keys). In this case it's really form over function.
I've had mine for over 10years and still enjoy it as much as day 1. Full key and VATS function is retained.
Quiero saber cuál es el cable que acciona el motor de arranque

Quick Reply: Need help with push start ignition!!!