Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Let's talk about LED headlights. *Not* in Stock Housings

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's talk about LED headlights. *Not* in Stock Housings

I am replacing my headlights with CFFL Spyder Halos here shortly. They come with H1 bulbs. I know I can replace them with HIDs, but I now see they are offering LEDs as replacements. I know there are benefits of using LEDs versus HIDs (lower heat output, longer life, solid form, etc). I was wondering if anybody had any input on these? I know the headlight housing would require some modifications, but not too much.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Those Spyder (and Anzo, Spec-D, Raxiom, etc.) aftermarket headlights are a mixed bag... sometimes you get great results and sometimes they produce horrible light scatter and glare - regardless of the light source (halogen, HID or LED).

I have Raxiom projector units in my Mustang which take H9 bulbs. I have replaced the halogen bulbs with LED units from V-LEDs. There is a little flare around the edges but not enough to be annoying or even particularly noticeable unless you're looking for it. V-LED's LMZ kit produces 4500 lumens each side but the pattern's cutoff is quite good so I've never had any problem with blinding other drivers. I tested for that by driving toward them myself after making sure they were properly aimed (out of the box, the aim is terrible).

I had tried several other brands of LED headlight bulbs but found that most either weren't bright enough or created dark shadows in the pattern. The LMZ bulbs have adjustable collars so you can position the light output to best match your housings.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Those Spyder (and Anzo, Spec-D, Raxiom, etc.) aftermarket headlights are a mixed bag... sometimes you get great results and sometimes they produce horrible light scatter and glare - regardless of the light source (halogen, HID or LED).

I have Raxiom projector units in my Mustang which take H9 bulbs. I have replaced the halogen bulbs with LED units from V-LEDs. There is a little flare around the edges but not enough to be annoying or even particularly noticeable unless you're looking for it. V-LED's LMZ kit produces 4500 lumens each side but the pattern's cutoff is quite good so I've never had any problem with blinding other drivers. I tested for that by driving toward them myself after making sure they were properly aimed (out of the box, the aim is terrible).

I had tried several other brands of LED headlight bulbs but found that most either weren't bright enough or created dark shadows in the pattern. The LMZ bulbs have adjustable collars so you can position the light output to best match your housings.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I know the Spyders can be good or bad depending on who made them. I had the same ones in my last SS and they were great, but I kept the halogen bulbs in them. I'm not desperate to change them, but I'm used to driving my Acura TSX which has great lighting with the stock HIDs. I plan on installing the headlights and getting them aimed right. I will assess whether the cut-offs are working as they should before I decide to install HIDs/LEDs. I found them on Amazon for $65 brand new from SPYDER...so I couldn't pass them up.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:11 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can also look into swapping out the projector in those "spyder" headlights with a better HID Projector or LED Projector. The LED projector would have the LEDs built into it.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the phillips LEDs and I'm pretty happy with them.

the ugly yellow bulbs in my high beams are the Sylvania Silver stars haha
Old 10-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Which Phillips LEDs? Can you post beam shots of LED vs Halogen aimed at a wall at 25 feet?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Hi can you tell me what model number those are or did you make them?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
Which Phillips LEDs? Can you post beam shots of LED vs Halogen aimed at a wall at 25 feet?
Not many places around me that I can do this sadly, but I do need to adjust them so I'll see if I can the next few days

Originally Posted by frisco88
Hi can you tell me what model number those are or did you make them?
I'll send you a link to where I got them, they are the Philips Luxeon MZ Led.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I googled that phrase and what come up is not a Phillip bulbs but aftermarket bulbs with those LEDs on them.

Can you post a pic of the bulbs?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
I googled that phrase and what come up is not a Phillip bulbs but aftermarket bulbs with those LEDs on them.

Can you post a pic of the bulbs?
I don't have a picture that I took of just the bulb, this is from their website... must be ok if a moderator asked for it

Old 10-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Those aren't Philips bulbs. They might have a Philips LED on them, but even that it questionable.

That LED alignment will most-likely negatively alter the beam pattern.

Here is a Philips H4 bulb:

It is still not perfect, but has better alignment than most.

If they made a 9005 or 9006 version, it would look something like that but with a single row instead of dual row (since the 9005 & 9006 bulbs are single filament not dual filament like an H4).

Here is their H8 Fog Light Bulb:

However, there are companies that make a replica in other bases.

I've seen some knock-offs labeled "Philips Cree". As far as I remember, they are separate companies. If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-26-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm I see what you mean. I am by all means no LED expert, but my buddy works for the company. I can ask him more specifics on that bulb.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

Hello Gentlemen,
I have 2 T/A's that I did the LMC truck light retrofit, for both Hi and Low beams. They look better than stock OEM, however, the LED in the photo looked great. I decided at the time to use the LMC truck option, due to the lights are DOT approved. I read stories, but not sure if they are true, that hefty fines can be handed out out if headlights are not DOT approved, and your caught.

If these LED lights are DOT approved, can sometime provide more info on where to buy these lights ?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

DOT approval is not generally applied to bulbs. Bulb types have very specific design specifications regarding all aspects including base size and shape, globe size and shape, filament size and position and brightness. For example, a 3157 bulb produces 3 candlepower on low and 32 cp on high. If you make the high filament brighter, it's no longer a 3157... for example, the 40 cp version is a 3457.

All that applies to industry standard incandescent bulbs. LED bulbs have no such specifications. They are simply made to fit the same sockets and have bodies that are no bigger than the bulb they mimic to ensure that they will fit in the lamps they are intended for. But LEDs are very directional in their light output (unlike incandescent bulbs which produce light in all directions). That means that LED bulbs can only approximate the output of the incandescent bulbs they replace and positioning of the individual LEDs is very important. That's because the lamps are designed with reflectors and/or lenses based on the position and orientation of a standard bulb's filament. With LEDs, that position and orientation is different and will affect the light output pattern in different ways. BTW, the same applies to HID conversions.

So to answer your question, no combination of LED bulbs (or HID capsules) with standard lamp housings is DOT approved and probably never will be. Yes, it is possible to be stopped and fined for an unapproved lighting setup but that seldom happens. The ones who get stopped are doing stupid things like using a combination that is blinding to other drivers or has obvious color differences (like deep blue or even violet headlights).

If you want to try LED bulbs (or HIDs), be a good citizen and check the output against a wall to ensure proper beam pattern and aiming before going out on the road with them.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
I don't have a picture that I took of just the bulb, this is from their website... must be ok if a moderator asked for it

Would these even fit in a Firebird/TA headlight? That fat back part would stick out from back of housing and rub against other headlight components and prevent the headlights from popping up wouldn't they?
Old 10-28-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The absence of light
Would these even fit in a Firebird/TA headlight? That fat back part would stick out from back of housing and rub against other headlight components and prevent the headlights from popping up wouldn't they?
They fit in mine just fine, I did trim the metal inner housing but I don't think it was necessary. hardest part was mounting the small little box in a way that it or the wires would not be effected by the headlight movement.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
They fit in mine just fine, I did trim the metal inner housing but I don't think it was necessary. hardest part was mounting the small little box in a way that it or the wires would not be effected by the headlight movement.
Cool thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

To Cpt.Derrek, I am or was, also concerned about fitment issues with the T/A using the Philips LED bulbs. I see now that Philips LEDs exist that are fan-less, using a heat sink. Do you know what wattage LEDs you have, 35, 55 etc ?
Old 11-05-2016, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I did trim metal housing that goes behind the bulb housing but I don't think it was necessary. I just had them off while I removed the rust and thought mine as well. They say they are 60W. I'll take pictures from behind tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what housings are the T/A guys using to install the led bulbs?

Quick Reply: Let's talk about LED headlights. *Not* in Stock Housings