Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommendations for JL JX500/1D and JL Stealthbox install in 02 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recommendations for JL JX500/1D and JL Stealthbox install in 02 WS6

I recently purchased the amp and stealth box on the classifieds here. I'm getting ready to add it into my current system which is a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX head unit and the KEE Audio Level 4 Firebird Speaker Package powered by the monsoon amp. I have an Optima Yellow Top battery with both top and side posts.

First thing I'm trying to figure out is where the best place to mount the amp is? I don't want to interfere with the T-Top storage. I'm thinking about under a front seat if possible or behind one of the rear trim panels. What location have you guys used? The JX500/1D is a fairly small amp in size.
What brand, gauge, and lengths of power, ground, speaker wire do you guys recommend and for what amp location?
What brand and length of RCA cables do you guys recommend. I know I'll need a remote turn on wire from the head unit to the amp, so I'd prefer RCA cables with one.
What is a quality fuse holder battery terminal to use that doesn't look cheap under the hood?
I have access to 10 and 12 gauge SIS wire at work that has thick insulation and is very fine strand wire. Would be adequate as speaker wire to the sub?
Is the JL RBC-1 remote bass control worth having?
Also, will I need to do anything in terms of crossovers now that I'm adding the sub and amp?
I know plenty of people on here have used this same sub and amp combo on here, so anyone that can help me know what I need to purchase to install it is greatly appreciated. I can do a rough measurement for wire and cable lengths if needed, but I'm reluctant to purchase anything until I know what is an ideal location for this amp.

Last edited by drain89; 10-19-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mounted my amp where the spare tire used to be:

I just bought the kit from Amazon which included all the wiring I needed.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

JL Stealth Box w/10w3v3

JL Audio XD1000/5
Old 10-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tophatjimmy

JL Audio XD1000/5

How's that amp for powering that sub? Is it enough? How'd you run the amp to what speakers?

I think a 5 channel is the way to go for these cars, but I don't see it much.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
How's that amp for powering that sub? Is it enough? How'd you run the amp to what speakers?

I think a 5 channel is the way to go for these cars, but I don't see it much.
Works really well. The sub is a 4 ohm sub, so the amp is only sending 400 watts to it, but that's plenty for it.

I'm actually using the amp in 3 channel mode right now. I've got the fronts bridged to the front left speaker (200 watts), the rears bridged to the front right speaker (200 watts) and the sub channel to the sub (400 watts).

I'm running the hatch speakers off the deck. Sounds pretty damn good in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

That's an interesting way to do it. What do you have powering the sail panel speakers and are the mids or "subs"
Old 10-28-2016, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BrittleSpeed
That's an interesting way to do it. What do you have powering the sail panel speakers and are the mids or "subs"
There was nothing there when I bought the car. Still nothing there.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Luckyzach
Quick question, were you able to secure your T Tops in thier proper space with those amps in there? That is very neat!
Old 04-15-2020, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks like the JLx500/1D is rated at 300 watts rms @ 4 ohms and 500 watts rms @ 2ohms. You say the sub is 4 ohms. Do you know what model is? I would find that out, need to know the power rating of the sub and make sure its a single 4 ohm and not a dvc sub that can be wired multiple ways. As far as wire goes. Im a personal fan of sky high car audio. I been using them for years and very happy with them. Most kits you will see come with 17ft or 18ft of power wire, same with remote turn on and rca's. You can order everything individually or just buy a kit. Jl recommends a 50 amp fuse for that amp, no on board fuse and 4GA leads. You will see 2 types of wire for the most part. OFC and CCA. Please do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for the good stuff ( OFC).

Just an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oversized-4...MAAOSw5ZBWNPS~

As far as amp location, that thing has a very small footprint. You can mount that in multiple spots in the hatch area.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For wiring Sky High Car Audio is the best around. Knuconceptz is also really good. I mounted both my amps in the spare tire well.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for JL JX500/1D and JL Stealthbox install in 02 WS6