Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgreading my system

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Upgreading my system

Here's the deal. I would like to up-grade/update my sound in my camaro. I've been out of the radio world for the last 20+yrs that doesn't mean I knew anything back then. I like the idea of the stock look but we all know stock kinda sucks. In my S-10 I have two 10"MTX 5000 subs,<--(yes that old) 2 MTX amps,MTX crossover,Diamond audio separates in the doors/dash. I had it installed a month after I bought the truck new in 98 and its deafening at times and I love it. I would like to hear from other that have a systems like mine but in the gen4's. My camaro have a monsoon system and for the most part it sounds ok. I have a CD changer in the back that doesn't work or maybe the radio just doesn't command it to work. My budget is whatever it takes to do the job right and not spend millions of dollars.
I've read over knee's sight a little but would like to see what everyones thought is.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No.........I guess i'm on my own on this one
Old 01-11-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
No.........I guess i'm on my own on this one
Here is the setup I am a thinking of doing. I just don't know if it will work or not.

I think that having everything separate (not using a component set) will allow for more control over the volume levels. I also think that having dedicated mid-bass speakers will make it sound really nice.

I will also need to get a better alternator... probably the 270A one from Texas-Speed.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think your setup would blow the windows out of your car. There is alot of parts to your idea. I was thinking easy.....6.5 full range in the doors,also full renge whatever size fit in the back seat,one 12" in the cubbie hole in the rear. Three amps(small in size) 2 Channel amps for the front,same for the back seat and a mono amp for the sub. A decent crossover to run everything. Haven't thought about a head unit,more then likely a Alpine.

I've also thought about a 5ch amp to run everything,using the cross overs in the amp.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If you want good sound without breaking the bank, Alpine makes pretty good products.

Type R Coax front and rear ($200x2)
Type R 10 or 12" subwoofer (10s are punchy, 12s are boomy) ($230-250)
Alpine PDR-V75 5 ch amp ($550)
Whatever radio suits you best. (Roughly 150)

Parts $3-400
Labor This will vary, but I would quote 600 or so to install these.

That setup will give you good, loud sound with good clarity.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Active is better...once you get it tuned. Dedicated midbass, up front, as part of a 3 way front stage is worth the effort. Tweeters in the rear are not. In fact, I only used mids with low power in the rear and even it was a distraction. Focus on your front stage and sub stage and don't bother dicking with rear speakers...unless movies or rear seat passengers are a priority.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Active is better...once you get it tuned. Dedicated midbass, up front, as part of a 3 way front stage is worth the effort. Tweeters in the rear are not. In fact, I only used mids with low power in the rear and even it was a distraction. Focus on your front stage and sub stage and don't bother dicking with rear speakers...unless movies or rear seat passengers are a priority.
I actually dislike front staging sound systems. I think that it takes the focus away from driving. If you focus on sound in front of you, you loose focus of the road in front of you.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
I actually dislike front staging sound systems. I think that it takes the focus away from driving. If you focus on sound in front of you, you loose focus of the road in front of you.
I suppose if you like sitting with your back to the orchestra, the stage, or the movie screen, this makes perfect sense. You actually want the imaging where the music should be while performing/playing and/or between your ears like headphones. Your preference actually can save you money, just box up some 6x9s and set them in the hatch. You've really got it wrong but it doesn't matter since what you prefer is what carries the day.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

I suppose if you like driving, and paying attention to a daydream concert, then your idea makes perfect sense too.

I was raised to pay attention to the road when you are driving, so I think that the entire concept of front staging really has it all wrong, unless you don't listen to the radio while driving.

But nowadays, you can text, do your hair, read a book, eat lunch, and go to a concert, all while paying attention to the road... right?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My humble opinion. I love loud music too. I have a decent jvc head unit media player. 110. A type r 10 65 bucks. Box for cubby, like 39 bucks. Amp for that, like 99 bucks. Some off brand replacement speakers running off deck, like 80 bucks. And il tell ya what, it sounds dam good. Not setting records, but sounds great at moderate to loud. All in like 450 w parts to install. Oh and generic tweeters running off door speakers, 12 bucks.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I kept my system kinda simple. Pioneer AVH-4100NEX double din, JL Audio XD600/6 powering Alpine Type-R components in the doors, Kicker KS coaxials in the sail panels, and a Kicker 12" Comp sub in the cubby in the hatch powered by a JL Audio XD200/2 bridged. I can place the staging wherever I want, and adjust individual speaker volume through the head unit. And it does get pretty damn loud. I love the clarity I'm getting from it though. I'll be moving to KS component speakers in the doors soon so all the speakers are the same basic setup, and I'll probably wire it to bi-amplify the door speakers as well. I like how it sounds at the moment though.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you didn't really provide what your budget was & if your paying for install / labor or diys. i wanted an upgrade over factory so i went with a kenwood deck, an alpine mini amp (k445) & alpine R speakers. total parts $400 (7 years ago) total labor $400 reason they had to bypass factory monsoon amp & rewire kenwood to match alpine. i have a convertible & its a nice upgrade. im not a teenager looking for a booming stereo. cheers! fyi i put 12 x 12 dynamat squares behind my speakers

Last edited by DANOZ28; 02-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgreading my system