Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

im getting no sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im getting no sound

ok i just installed my amp to the factory HU using the adapter from best buy. the amp is comming on fine but i am getting no sound from the speakers. ideas?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

not to sound like a jerk, but did you connect RCA's from the converter to the amp? is there speaker wire from amp to speakers? are the gains on the converter all the way down?

how exactly did you hook it up, that would give us a better idea to help you
jimmy
Old 06-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Teching In

yeah i connected the RCA cables, power line, ground, remote. but its a sub amp so there is no wires running to speakers besides the sub.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

does the sub make a popping noise if you pull the RCA's in/out, or you put your finger on the male end of the RCA cable at the deck? If it does, you know the amp is fine. do you have a multimeter? If so, play a 1khz test tone on the deck, then measure the AC voltage between the center pin and shield on the RCA's at the amp. If you see a voltage, then you have signal. Are there gain controls on the converter? Adjust them as well, possibly they are turned way down.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, i just bought one of the converters from best buy. does anyone know if it works as well as the pac oem converter? i just never see people using these, and they are so much easier to attain than the pac ones, so that's why i'm wondering if they work ok.

shockered, did you wire the converter to you rear left/right speaker? or did you just use the front? if the sound isn't coming on, then obviously the problem is with the rca route (at either end - the converter or the amp) or the problem is with the amp/sub. the ground/power/remote wire are not the problem at all seeing as you are getting power. so it's either the actual sub/amp or it's the rca (possibly the way you connected the output converter). and that's why i'm wanting to know if the best buy converter works just like the pac one...
Old 06-24-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...tput+converter
Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 AM
Teching In

ok i think i figured out what I did wrong i didnt have time to mess with it today but i will work on it tomorow. What i did was cut the wires off of the harness and connected the adapter not to the harness, but to the other wires that run to the factory amp i think. I also cut them really short so i got some sodering(spellcheck) to do. Big stupid mistake
thanks you guys for all your help
Old 06-25-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shockeredd
ok i think i figured out what I did wrong i didnt have time to mess with it today but i will work on it tomorow. What i did was cut the wires off of the harness and connected the adapter not to the harness, but to the other wires that run to the factory amp i think. I also cut them really short so i got some sodering(spellcheck) to do. Big stupid mistake
thanks you guys for all your help
ya, i wired mine up (same one from best buy) today and it works just fine.