Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

i NEED help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i NEED help ASAP

ok heres my problem i put in my head unit, sub and amp a few minutes ago, when i pulled the factory head out there was a second harness (amps for monsoon maybe) but anyway i was like well this isnt going to work, but i figrued what the hell so i plugged my eclipse up and it worked so i ran the power, rem, ground, RCAs, and was getting ready to turn every thing on and my sub has no sound, but all of my factory speakers do, i switched RCA's amps everything and i dont know what the hell is going on, can someone please inlighten me this is my first install on a f-body.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

The second harness plugged into the factory deck was for the steering wheel controls. It will work fine without them plugged in anywhere while using an aftermarket deck. About the sub not working, I need more info, how many, what brand of amp(s), what works, what doesn't , where and how did you mount the sub/amp, etc.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

1 protech 12, and the amps are a crossfire 600d and a jl audio e1200 im going to be running the e1200 but i thought it could be the amp but it wasnt, everything works except the subs its like the its just turned off, light comes on has power just no sound.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Get a 9v battery and connect it briefly to the wire going to the subwoofer. The sub should "pop" when the battery is touched to the wires. If the sub moves, the sub is good. Next, I would check the ground on the amplifier. Make sure the ground wire is the same gauge as the power wire, and it is grounded solidly to a clean piece of metal of the car. There should be no paint or anything between the ring terminal attached to the ground cable, make sure any paint is scraped off the metal on the grounding point of the car as well. Next, check your controls on the sub amp. Is the crossover set to low-pass, and the gain set correctly? Here is a link to the tech section at Fbodyaudio.com, maybe there is something in there I haven't thought of: http://www.fbodyaudio.com/site.php?page=tech.php
Good luck, and I hope you are able to find the problem.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the head unit have separate rca outputs for the subs? if so , you might have to go into the audio menu of the eclipse and active the low pass or sub outputs . some alpine head units are like this , along with a few other brands , could be that simple.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Snootch
The second harness plugged into the factory deck was for the steering wheel controls.
No, there are actually three connectors (not including the antenna) on the back of the factory radio. Only one wire is used for the steering wheel controls. The 10-pin black connector has the power, ground and all front speaker wires. The 10-pin gray connector has all the rear speaker wires as well as the steering wheel control wire and the speed signal wire (Camaros only). The 9-pin black connector goes to the external CD changer in the hatch area even if you don't have a changer.

It is quite possible that iB2slow doesn't have output at the sub because of disconnecting the gray connector with the rear speaker wires. Hard to say without knowing what he has wired where.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, there are actually three connectors (not including the antenna) on the back of the factory radio. Only one wire is used for the steering wheel controls. The 10-pin black connector has the power, ground and all front speaker wires. The 10-pin gray connector has all the rear speaker wires as well as the steering wheel control wire and the speed signal wire (Camaros only). The 9-pin black connector goes to the external CD changer in the hatch area even if you don't have a changer.

It is quite possible that iB2slow doesn't have output at the sub because of disconnecting the gray connector with the rear speaker wires. Hard to say without knowing what he has wired where.
My bad, I assumed it was for the steering wheel controls, since I don't have a factory changer.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

lol sorry guys i forgot about this post, it was a bad terminal on one of the voice coils. the rivet had came loose and it was ground its self out.