Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Swap of the monsoon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap of the monsoon!

I have a 99 SS with the crap 200 watt Monsoon and a 00 Ws6 with the 500 watt Monsoon. The 500 is so much better then the 200 watt version. I am wondering if anyone has done a complete swap from the 200 to the 500 in a 98-99 Camaro. I would be talking baout getting everything from a wrecked T/A: speakers, door panels, amp/s, radio...everything! My SS has charcoal interior so matching the door panels is no problem since Pontiac has the same color(or close to it anyway). My Ws6 has charcoal interior too but it's a bit darker then my Camaro's.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm not positive, but I believe the difference between the systems (besides the equalizer) is the Pontiac has more/better speakers. The 200 watt rating on the Chevy is an RMS rating, while Pontiac rates the system in peak watts. I think Chevy caught on the last couple of years of the Camaro, and started calling their Monsoon a 500 watt system (same system, just started rating it in peak watts).
I agree with you about the sound quality of the Camaro Monsoon. It's like the bass is boosted, but the speakers can't handle it.
I wonder if the amp is the same, or if the different speaker setup in the Pontiac requires different outputs from the crossover network? I'm interested the answer to your question also.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
The 200 watt rating on the Chevy is an RMS rating, while Pontiac rates the system in peak watts.
I dont know about that. The 200 watt system was availble on both the Camaro and the Firebird. The 500 watt system was originally an option, then it became standard. I think the speaker count was also higher in the higher output system.

Its been a few years since I researched this, so I'm a bit foggy.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Bottom line: If you want a decent sounding system, get rid of the monsoon system altoghether, and run with aftermarket equipment. The Monsoon system uses horrible paper cone speakers, and is maybe 500 watts ILS. (If Lightning Strikes). I wouldn't waste time/money with the factory gear.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

My Ws6's bass is MUCH MUCH better then the SS's! My SS has NO bass what so ever. I was just thinking about keeping a OEM appearance. I think I will probably just re-wire the whole stereo system and replace all the speakers and add subs.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99MONGOOSE
My Ws6's bass is MUCH MUCH better then the SS's! My SS has NO bass what so ever. I was just thinking about keeping a OEM appearance. I think I will probably just re-wire the whole stereo system and replace all the speakers and add subs.
That's like saying: "My SRT is WAY WAY faster than my Civic" j/k.
If you really want to keep the OEM appearance, I would replace your front and rear (sail panel) speakers with a high-quality coaxial speaker like: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5x9oiCV...1&avf=N&search=

then wiring these either directly to the stock Camaro deck using a wiring harness so no wires are cut, or better yet, wire in two line output converters and run a small outboard 4-channel amplifier: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5x9oiCV...1&avf=N&search=

Disconnect the crappy 4" plates in the hatch, and it will sound MUCH better than the stock system. If you really want more bass than that, I would replace the back sail panel speakers while using an amp with these: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12138
Old 07-19-2004, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
I dont know about that. The 200 watt system was availble on both the Camaro and the Firebird. The 500 watt system was originally an option, then it became standard. I think the speaker count was also higher in the higher output system.

Its been a few years since I researched this, so I'm a bit foggy.
It's been a couple of years for me also, but I know my 2002 Z and B4C advertised having a 500 watt (peak) Monsoon (standard on the Z, $350 on the B4C), and my wife's '98 Camaro had the optional, best available at the time, 200 watt (RMS) Monsoon CD player. I'm pretty sure for the Camaros it's the same system. Maybe Chevy figured if Pontiac could get away with overrating the amps, they could also. That's what happens when you let marketing drones get control over the engineers.

Snootch is right about it being a ILS system, but I'm keeping the car pretty much original. I'm not above replacing the factory speakers, though.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The speakers in the Firebird are different (and better) than the speakers in the Camaro.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

The speakers in the Firebird are different (and better) than the speakers in the Camaro.
That's exactly what I said in the earlier post. Plus it has the equalizer.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

That's exactly what I said in the earlier post. Plus it has the equalizer.
yup

Old 07-20-2004, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

yup

Yes, but neither is much to write home about. I agree with Snootch. Replace the whole thing. If you want to keep the factory look, the Pioneer DEH-77DH fits the opening perfectly. If you're looking for a standard DIN, your options are endless. There is also a Metra dash kit that has a little storage shelf to make up the size difference.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

And DEFINITELY dont forget the speakers!
Old 07-21-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

It's been a couple of years for me also, but I know my 2002 Z and B4C advertised having a 500 watt (peak) Monsoon (standard on the Z, $350 on the B4C), and my wife's '98 Camaro had the optional, best available at the time, 200 watt (RMS) Monsoon CD player. I'm pretty sure for the Camaros it's the same system. Maybe Chevy figured if Pontiac could get away with overrating the amps, they could also. That's what happens when you let marketing drones get control over the engineers.

Snootch is right about it being a ILS system, but I'm keeping the car pretty much original. I'm not above replacing the factory speakers, though.
Tell you what...my Ws6's system is like comparing a modern day CD stereo to a 1970s 8-track system, that different! I can't believe the two systems are the same. My Ws6 sounds like there are two subs in the hatch and my SS sounds worse then my 1992 Buick Skylark winter beater. My 1998 Z28's NON-Monsoon system sounds ten times better then the SS's and has more bass.