Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

mobile install school?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mobile install school?

anyone know of a good mobile audio install school? location makes no difference... im seriously considering this as an option, im just not familar with any reputible institutions and im having trouble searching for them. TIA.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

I know of the Installer Institute in Daytona Beach Fl. I attended their classes about 7 years ago, they were very informative, and if you want to start installing professionally, I would consider this a must. There are several different schools across the country... I'm just not that familiar with them. I recommend popping over to the CARSOUND forums, and asking the question over there: http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi/
Old 09-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

thanks a lot... that was the school i was thinking of, just didnt know the name. one of the guys in my shop took some classes there this past spring. ive heard theres one in houston, too, but again im not entirely sure of what its called and havent been able to gather any info. on it. but i just registered on carsound so we'll see if i can get some answers from over there. thanks for the direction to that forum... looks really sweet.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

its the metra electronics certification your looking for.. its pritty indepth but at the same time all who go there dont leave genuses i use to work with a few certified guys some were really knowldgeable and some were just fimlar with big words
Old 09-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

i guess im just looking for something that will get me just as much hands on as it will book work... ive heard the installer instituite in daytona isnt as quite up to par with hands on as it used to be a few years ago... i will want the outcome to be MECP certification.. but more than the piece of paper i just want some good training.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

id just go get a job at a best buy or circuit city and go form there to mabye a high end store when you acculmate the expirence
Old 09-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

lol i already have a job @ best buy... but if you arent MECP certified they give you almost NO shop time. and prior to that i installed at circuit city... so im slowly working my way up, i guess i just need more patience.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

i use to work at best buy and if we wanted someone to be in the shop than we paid for their mecep tranning if your full time thell and they want you in the shop they can do that
Old 09-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

yea all of my training materials and my test will be paid for, i guess i just want something that i can do outside of work to get more well-rounded with install procedures, not just best buy procedures. i think its also because we're in the process of hiring so our department is pretty under-staffed, thus i'm spending a lot more time on the sales floor than i am in the bay. again, maybe its just that i need patience.. but i sometimes feel like if i want anything done i need to do it myself, and that would be to get training outside of BB. retail stores in general are pretty slow to get things done.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Mobile Dynamics is one of the better install schools out there. Although if you've worked in a shop before with "some" experience, then you are able to take the MECP certification testing on a stand alone basis. You have to purchase the study guide and can take the test at various locations accross the country. The one big one coming up is at CES 2005 this year in Vegas.

Again, different places and different times all over the country.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

where is Mobile Dynamics? and yea...already have the study guide, and as soon as im ready my shop manager is just going to have someone come out to our shop to proctor the exam. i guess passing MECP isnt such a concern of mine, i just want some outside training away from my shop and outside the little box of MECP.