Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

sound system tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound system tuning

a guy at a local stereo shop told me he'd tune my system for $50 an hour. he said it will definitely take him less than an hour.

is it worth this? i know i'm new to the whole audio thing, and while it sounds good to me, i keep messing with it thinking i'll make it sound better (but only make it worse sometimes), so i really don't know if it's worth it. maybe i'd stop messing with it if i got it done, or then again, maybe i wouldn't

this is only if i can't find anyone in austin, tx that can do this for the price of a beer or two
Old 10-21-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What audio system do you have?

No don't do it, the fact is audio seting should be changed every single song! And depending on the owners personal likings! I have seen cars with unreal bass but you can't hear a single word in the song! I am not a bass head anymore I have 1000watt 10" sub,2sets of 6 1/2" MB Quart. and a 6 1/2" center channel. I love it!
Old 10-21-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
What audio system do you have?

No don't do it, the fact is audio seting should be changed every single song! And depending on the owners personal likings! I have seen cars with unreal bass but you can't hear a single word in the song! I am not a bass head anymore I have 1000watt 10" sub,2sets of 6 1/2" MB Quart. and a 6 1/2" center channel. I love it!
i'm having a difficult problem tuning my setup because i can't tell if i hear distortion in the front speakers or not. i just need help setting the amp's gain in order to get the speakers to perform the best without clipping the signal.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turn off everything but the fronts. Meaning unplug them at the amp the RCAs! Are they componants? If they are there is alot more that you need to do as there is a mid and tweeter! On my MB Quart you should but the tweeter crossover at -6, I know sounds dump but it works! On my Kenwood flip out max volume is 35 so I go to 35 go to the music I listen to and adjust it up! Now componats have a built in (light that flashes when power is too much). Oh and if you add a center channel the audio comes alive realy it is amazing!

But as I said unplug the front tune, unplug the fronts tune rear! Then unplug the front and rear and to the sub! then here everything pluged in and listen to it! I readjusted mine every day for a month after I installed it.

Alot of the high end audio says to retune after break in. My Quarts smelled so bad I had the truck detailed. Like a burning plastic and dog poo! The rep. said when you smell that turn it off for a long time, it is breaking in and is ok after a few break in times! And will take even more power! Diamond subs will realy smoke out of the subs!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

It really depends on what the guy @ the shop is doing. Is he using an oscilloscope & properly level matching everything to completely eliminate distortion, etc. Or is he just using his ears. What kind of audio system do you have that you are trying to tune. Headunit? Speakers? Subs? Amps? Etc. More than happy to help.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverWS6_2002
It really depends on what the guy @ the shop is doing. Is he using an oscilloscope & properly level matching everything to completely eliminate distortion, etc. Or is he just using his ears. What kind of audio system do you have that you are trying to tune. Headunit? Speakers? Subs? Amps? Etc. More than happy to help.
pretty much everything. the problem is that i can't seem to set my HPF lower than 160 without it sounding bad to me, and i just don't get why. it doesn't sound distorted, just muddled like each individual portion (guitar, vocals, etc) aren't getting the clarity they need. i'm not sure if this is because i have crappy speakers (alpine 170a coaxs) or if it's another reason.

even so, i have to keep my treble down to about 0, and my bass at about +3.

Last edited by tuffluck; 10-23-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tuffluck
pretty much everything. the problem is that i can't seem to set my HPF lower than 160 without it sounding bad to me, and i just don't get why. it doesn't sound distorted, just muddled like each individual portion (guitar, vocals, etc) aren't getting the clarity they need. i'm not sure if this is because i have crappy speakers (alpine 170a coaxs) or if it's another reason.

even so, i have to keep my treble down to about 0, and my bass at about +3.
Well, first off, you're gonna wanna run the amp with the HPF around 150 Hz depending on what the speakers like. Personally I have JL Audio XR 650-CSI's up front & JL XR 650-CXI's in the back with the crossover set @ 100 Hz b/c I haven't had time to put my subs in yet. It gives some pretty descent mid-bass. If I were you, I'd lower the bass to 0 & keep the treble @ 0. Then try to level match everything with your amplifiers so it sounds good without distortion. Then adjust the treble & bass up or down depending on what your musical tastes are & your preference.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the response. i think it's sounding pretty good right now. i have the HPF on 160, but what about the LPF? i have it on 80, but there is pretty big gap of midbass i'm missing. should i throw it in the LPF and set it to about 120? the coax's definitely sound best with the HPF set on 160.

some songs sound like they need more bass while others sound like they need less. i guess that's just dealing with different songs being tuned differently. kinda sucks, but i guess that's how it goes. linkin park's meteora sounds excellent on all accounts, though
Old 10-24-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

A perfect 40 on the RTA sounds like ***. Tune it the way you like it. No one goes around listening to ping noise with all high bits.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
A perfect 40 on the RTA sounds like ***. Tune it the way you like it. No one goes around listening to ping noise with all high bits.
You're right. True "SQ" cars sound terrible.