Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

two 4 ohm speakers in parallel

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default two 4 ohm speakers in parallel

guys, i currently have an alpine headunit with a JL stealthbox & amp in the back. I am thinking about replacing the front door speakers. I do not know much about car audio, but from an engineering standpoint, two 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be 2 ohms. Would two 4 ohm 3" speakers in parallel sound better than 1 6.5''?

Oh, and I have read the thread about replacing these speakers. That is what got me thinking of this. What do you all think?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 10-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Launching!

they would have more power to them vs there impedance,as for sound quality I dont think so but am not sure.I have never heard of running a mid or high like that only subs to bump the power.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on what what frequency range you are trying to reproduce. What do you plan on crossing them over at or what range are you trying to make louder.

The 3" will reproduce voice and high to mid high frequencys.
The 6.5 will reproduce lower voices up into mid frequencys well.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

humm....... I really never thought of it as frequency ranges. I was just planning on having two 3 inch speakers for 1 6.5 inch. I did not think about the fact that a 3 inch will have a higher frequency response than the 6.5
Old 10-29-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why would you want to do 2 3" speakers in the first place. 1 6.5 has more cone area and mostlikly xmax so it will have more output. now if you wanna run a 3" and a 6.5" and add a tweeter and make it a 3way compment system, that would be cool
Old 10-29-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

DO NOT NOT NOT NOT run a 2 ohm load on an Alpine Headunit, or any headunit for that matter. YOU WILL Fry the internal amp.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
DO NOT NOT NOT NOT run a 2 ohm load on an Alpine Headunit, or any headunit for that matter. YOU WILL Fry the internal amp.
You are correct. Do not run lower frequencys through the headunit at a two ohm load. For some reason I assumed we were talkin about an aftermarket amp.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

i am talkin about the monsoon amp.......... i am using line level output on the alpine into the monsoon amp. sorry for the confusion.

thanks for the help guys, i wont do this now.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the monsoon runs at a funny ohm already. and yeah, you usually don't want to run anything at less than 4 ohms unless it's a sub. of course, sometimes you can get all the power you need out of a sub at 4 ohms.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i think the monsoon runs at a funny ohm already. and yeah, you usually don't want to run anything at less than 4 ohms unless it's a sub. of course, sometimes you can get all the power you need out of a sub at 4 ohms.
Not true, runing component sets at 2 ohms is common practice in competition style systems. However bridging a headunit or Monsoon amp is NOT a smart thing to do whatsoever.