Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New front speaker idea!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New front speaker idea!

Ok so the big problem with replacing the front speakers in the monsoon system is that they are two ohm. So wouldn't this be an awesome replacment? http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSCXS62 Image dynamic is top of the line and the two ohm resistance means you don't have to buy a new amp like i did when i bought those damn alpines!!! Just throwing out a thought. If i had it all to do again i would have bought this component set and it would have saved me $300 on an amp and an install. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

the problem isn't with the speakers, it's the monsoon. that thing distorts like no other. if it were not for the monsoon's slight bass capabilities, i would recommend every f-body owner to rip out their monsoon and wire their speakers so that they are powered by the HU only.

having said that, i think if you are going to do anything to your system, you should redo it. i've done the cheap routes before like everyone wants to do, and it ended up with me going all aftermarket. in all honesty, if you really want a system that sounds decent, it's a good idea to just start off planning to go aftermarket completely. don't waste money (or anymore) in those in-between stages.

do the alpines you have sound good with your aftermarket amp? what's the power on those? if they sound good but aren't working with your monsoon well, LEAVE THEM! spend some money on a good deck, get some more money and spend on a sub and an amp, and you've got yourself a quality system - it will sound LOADS better than anything you hook up to the monsoon.

i just can't urge you enough to skip trying to work with the monsoon. aftermarket or stock, in my opinion, are the only two options. since you've started, do it right. fbodyaudio.com will help you more. you have a head start with a decent pair of component speakers. i'm running alpine's lower model of those components, but the coaxial version, and i have absolutely no complaints.

Last edited by tuffluck; 11-07-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Launching!

This was merely a suggestion for others who didn't want to go the entire system swap. I have the alpines, they are getting 85 watts rms and in my opinion i wasted $100 on them. I'll be replacing them soon. I also have infinity kappa 6 1/2's in the rear sail panels getting the same power and they sound fantastic.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

interesting. get rid of them and move the infinities up, and then get a sub. you don't need rear speakers in these cars if the ones up front are good enough. like i said, i'm running coaxials at 50 watts and a sub at 400 and the sound is fine. if you would like to talk about a waste of money, talk about putting a second set of speakers in the rear. you will barely hear them most of the time, unless you ride as a third passenger in your car.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Launching!

I've tried listening to just the component set up front but i really do like the speakers in the rear as well. Feels like you're in the middle of the music. Just personal preferance. I'll try just listening to just the fronts again when i get some real nice components up there to see how it sounds.