Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fog and asr wirring

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fog and asr wirring

I want to hook up an extra fog and asr button in my car. I was searching for some wirring on what wires that I need to use.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Please clarify... are you looking to use different switches to control the fogs and asr (so you need fog and asr circuit diagrams) or are you looking to install additional factory switches to control something else (so you need switch pinouts)?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Please clarify...are you looking to install additional factory switches to control something else (so you need switch pinouts)?
looking to install additional factory switches to control something else (so you need switch pinouts)

This one, sorry.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

OK, here goes:

Fog light switch (Camaro only - Firebird is different)
The switch has 6 pins labeled A thru F. Looking at the back of the switch with the connector locking tab on top, the bottom row is A-C right to left and the top row is D-F left to right. I have included the fog light wiring colors so you can compare pin positions with your existing fog light switch.
A - Light Green - ground for the ON indicator lamp
B - Black - ground for the switch illumination
C - Gray - power from the headlights for switch illumination
D - not used
E - Brown - power input for the fog lights (connect this to ignition source for your accessory)
F - Yellow - power output for the fog lights (connect this to a relay or to your accessory if it doesn't draw much power)

ASR Switch
The switch also has 6 pins labeled A thru F labeled the same way as the fog light switch. This switch is designed to provide ground to activate a circuit. You should use it to control the grounding of a relay coil to run your accessory. I have included the ASR wiring colors so you can compare pin positions with your existing switch.
A - Purple with White - ground for ON indicator LED
B - Pink - power for ON indicator LED
C - Gray - power from headlights for switch illumination
D - not used
E - Brown with White - ground input from control module (connect this to the ground side of a relay coil for your accessory)
F - Black with White - ground (this provides ground for both the illumination and the control module - or your accessory relay)

All in all, the fog light switch is easier to work with for accessories unless you have a need for a momentary switch for a garage door opener or something similar.

I hope this is the information you need.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Your awesome lol. That exackly what I was looking for.

I have 1 more thing to ask however.

My car is not traction control, however it has the fake button with the wires attached to it. Are those wires going to anything? I hooked it up to the button and it didnt do anything. I knew the asr wouldnt work since I dont have the correct rear or anything. I was hoping the lights may work tho. Is there maybe a fuse or something that just needs to be put in?

Also assuming those asr wires are connected to nothing and I want to have the lights for the asr work. Can I splice into the fog light button for the lights to work.

Being a camaro my lights stay on unless you kill the car and then crank it again with the emergency-brake on. This is a lot of trouble when you trying to race and dont want to draw attraction while you sitting there. So I made a fuse that goes where the cluster is and it turns off the guages which turn off the lights. I only need this to work for like 5 mins at a time while im sitting there. How long do you think they will stay off before it lets them turn back on? I wasnt aware that traction control was like that. I have anohter fog button but i wanted to use it for my cutout and thats something i dont want closing during the middle of a run lol.

Thanks again for all the information.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'm pretty sure momentray doesn't mean a timed interval of operation. Basically, a momentary switch sends a "signal" to turn something on or off, or to activate a an on/off switch. Like mentioned above, with a garage door opener, you don't hold the button to open your garage door, you press and release and that triggers the door opening mechanism to do it's thing. As with asr, by depressing the asr switch, you send a signal which activates/deactivates whatever algorithims necessary to maintain traction. If you try using it for your dash lights, my guess is they will turn off for only as long as you hold the button, when you depress it, they will turn back on.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

I could also be completely wrong.

EDIT: BTW, I'm sure you could use the asr switch to control your cut-out based on the garage door thing. As a sender to the unit to open your cutout. I'm sure it's much more difficult though.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my headlights staying on while trying to play around. Got tired of them being on at the track too.

I just pulled the dash trim up and took out the light sensor. Then I took two wire taps and a short piece of wire. Connect the two wires, tape them up, and bam! No more Automatic lights. I just have to turn them on manually. Doesn't bother me though, that's the way it's been on the past three vehicles I've owned.

You might try that instead of the fuse idea.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by kpowr82
I'm pretty sure momentray doesn't mean a timed interval of operation. Basically, a momentary switch sends a "signal" to turn something on or off, or to activate a an on/off switch. Like mentioned above, with a garage door opener, you don't hold the button to open your garage door, you press and release and that triggers the door opening mechanism to do it's thing. As with asr, by depressing the asr switch, you send a signal which activates/deactivates whatever algorithims necessary to maintain traction. If you try using it for your dash lights, my guess is they will turn off for only as long as you hold the button, when you depress it, they will turn back on.
Exactly right. A momentary switch only closes the circuit for as long as the button is pressed. When you release the button, it turns off. This can be changed by adding a latching relay or a timer relay (like the rear defroster) that stays on for a set length of time.

You don't say whether you want to disable the automatic headlights or the daytime running lights but both can be disabled fairly easily. The suggestion already made for "shorting" the headlight sensor wires is the easiest way to disable the automatic headlights. You could even put in a switch that would bypass the the sensor when you wanted to leave the lights off but still allow automatic headlights when you wanted them.

To "permanently" disable the daytime running lights, pull the radio so you can get to the DRL module mounted behind it. Cut the light blue, light blue with white stripe, dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wires. Connect the harness end of the light blue wire to the light blue with white stripe wire. Similarly, connect the harness ends of the dark blue and dark blue with white stripe wire. (Just cutting the wires will disable the DRLs but you have to splice them together to prevent losing your front turn signals as well.)

In effect, you are bypassing the DRL module by connecting the white-striped input wires directly to the no-stripe output wires for each side (light blue is left side and dark blue is right side). Again, you could wire a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch into the circuit to allow disabling the DRLs when you want but still have them work normally the rest of the time.

Your ASR switch won't work for either of these applications without a whole lot of other wiring (relays, etc.). Your fog light switch won't work for the DRL application (without additional parts) but will be OK for the automatic headlights. If you are familiar with wiring and relays and want to set up latching relays for the DRLs and your ASR switch, let me know and I'll try to configure the necessary connections for you.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the help.

I used the fog light button and got it working to turn the headlights off for untill i turn them back on. I just could get the button to light up. I did tap into the indicator light but it stays on all the time lol. no big problem there tho.

However, on a different situation I was wondering if anyone has a write-up on what wires to tap into under the dash for the a/f ratio guages? I have it hooked to me o2 already but im afraid to cut any wires under the dash w/o knowing which ones. I am also hooking up nitrous and purge switch under there. I figured I could use the radio acc. and ground but was hoping there was something closer to the pod?

any info would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: fog and asr wirring