Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kicker Factory Refurb

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Kicker Factory Refurb

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of us always are searching for ways to save money, and buying Kicker refurb seems like a good deal up front, but what luck have you all had with it? How about you store owners? My local store here shys away from them, but I'm not certian if they're just trying to get me to buy new or what.

Im looking at a Kicker 350.4 Refurb and a 400.1 refurb.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF u buy refurb, make sure its factory direct. These products released from the factory are put back up to normal factory specs and the only difference may be minor cosmetic damage.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

both are good amps from the factory, not sure about being refurbished, i'm running both of them in my car.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a refurbished Amp/HU is not s bad thing. Never trust a refurbished Speaker.

Usually when an Amp or Hu comes in, they test for which LRU that needs replacing. Then they replace that part and away it goes. (An LRU is a name for a Removable Unit. I.E. a Ciruit card, CD ROM tray, Power supply)

When most companies do a refurbishing of an amplifier, they usually pull the Card and put a known tested good Circuit card in it's place. Sometimes they don't even bother testing the bad card because it might be a know problem, or they already have a ciruit card with that same problem (Bad products are wanted for Research to determine what happened).

A place like Kicker does a complete Swap out of the entire card. By law the amp is no longer new, so it cannot be sold as new and has to be listed as a refurb. BUT, bad luck for them, good luck for you. I'm saying go for it. The store you talked to either A.) Doesn't know what they are talking about, B.) are passing along good info because not all refurbished products are a good deal C.) Trying to get you to buy their new stuff and make a sale.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i know ppl that have refurb kicker amps and they never had a problem with them. kicker is a respectable company and they make sure it works b4 selling it.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your replies. I don't think this shop is trying to screw me, but I definately think that they are trying to make a sale.. they have a good point about over the counter exchange if something goes wrong, and they're only charging me 50$ more for new over eBay refurb, so its something to think about.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

that's not bad at all. most refurbs have a 90 day warranty. i don't know about kicker, but brand new should be at least 1 year. that shop could easily get a refurb, sell it to you for $50 less than new, and make a lot more money off of you, than selling you a new one for $50 over refurb. as far as refurbs, they could also just solder the legs of the mosfets that melted. don't think they go in and just swap out any bad part for a brand new one. but it is repaired to be in working order.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

it's one thing if you looking at the sx line and it could save you thousands, $50 or so dollars i'd rather have new then worry unless i was certain it was direct from kicker in which case they are marked as such and you can call kicker to confirm. then i wouldn't worry and save every bit you can.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1hot91
$50 or so dollars i'd rather have new then worry unless i was certain it was direct from kicker in which case they are marked as such and you can call kicker to confirm. then i wouldn't worry and save every bit you can.
That is another good point, and money saved is money earned! I'll look around and see if I can get some numbers off the eBay kicker amps to see if they are kicker cert.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

typically anything off of ebay is not certified.... but it's possible. i was doing the same thing 6 months ago when i bought my kicker setup looking at the sx line it was very hard for me to not buy ebay prices but after i found out all the scams on stolen, hacked refurbed items and the rest i went right to kicker and they worked with me.

good luck.