Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will aftermarket cd changer work with a stock stereo (Monsoon)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Will aftermarket cd changer work with a stock stereo (Monsoon)

I'm want to get a cd-changer that plays MP3/WMA and I dont want to lose the seek and volume buttons on the stearing wheel. Will an aftermarket cd changer work with the stock stereo?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Not as a direct plug-in. Only the factory Delco/Pioneer changer will plug-in directly to the stock head unit. At one time there were adapters available to connect certain brands of aftermarket changers to the factory head unit (Kenwood and Alpine plus a couple of others) but they have mostly disappeared from the market. Of course any changer with an FM-modulator connection will work but then you'll have to control it through its own (external) controller.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

you could buy a factory cd changer. it won't play mp3s, but its a changer. an aftermarket cd player can be made to work with the factory steering wheel controls with an adaptor thing
Old 09-26-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

What about an I-Pod or something? Is there a way to connect an I-pod to the AUX input on the factory head unit?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, that depends on what year and type of head unit you have. Prior to the middle of the 99 model year, only the cassette head unit was capable of controlling an external CD changer (or an external auxiliary device). In mid-99 the head units were changed internally so that either the cassette or single-CD models could have an external changer.

There are several devices available that will convert the CD changer port on the back of the HU to allow auxiliary input. The GM9-AUX from PIE does this by just providing RCA jacks to connect the auxiliary device - none of the HU controls affect the device (except volume and tone, of course). In other words, you can't change tracks on an external MP3 player using the buttons on the radio.

There are also some devices that allow various levels of control of an iPod through the changer port of the HU. Unfortunately, none of the really capable ones that allow track control, etc. are available to fit the GM 9-pin changer setup. So you will be able to connect an iPod but you'll still have to use its own controls to search and change tracks.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

I have an 2001 camaro SS with the Monsoon H/U single cd. So your saying it will allow me to hook up an I-pod with the GM9-AUX from PIE. controlling tracks with the I-Pod is no biggie. What is PIE?

And do you think this might work.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/pacauxpod1.html

It says it will work with a 97-02 camaro but it says the H/U needs a AM/FM/Tape/Aux. Mine has AM/FM/CD/Aux and is a single cd player

Last edited by CashMoney; 09-26-2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Looked at H/U
Old 09-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that device should work in your car. The application listing is a little inaccurate for not including later model CD head units but, basically, all of these devices work by substituting for the factory CD changer so they will work for any model that can control an external changer. Your 2001 can control a changer even with the CD head unit.

The GM9-AUX from PIE has far fewer capabilities but costs less than half as much. You can find out about it here.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, that device should work in your car. The application listing is a little inaccurate for not including later model CD head units but, basically, all of these devices work by substituting for the factory CD changer so they will work for any model that can control an external changer. Your 2001 can control a changer even with the CD head unit.

The GM9-AUX from PIE has far fewer capabilities but costs less than half as much. You can find out about it here.
Right on.. Thanks for the help..