Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Idea for amp rack...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea for amp rack...

Hi.

Okay, let me know what you think, and also i could use ALOT of help...

Here is a pic i drew of what i'd like to do.

I have two JL slash series amps...and i'd like to mount them in the spare tire well. I would like to place bothe amps into a fiberglass "holder" and have the amps sticking out like the pic. Any suggestions or help? They would have to be secured VERY well, ans i do alot of road racing and hard turing...so i think the fiberglassing would be strong...

Let me know what you think, and also any suggestions would be great!!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I was thinking of doing the same thing, still researching my JL sub (putting in a stealth box on driver side and want a 12W6v2 but worried about airspace). I was thinking of hiding the amps there and will probably have the same two as you. The only difference is I wasn't thinking fiberglass but just a tight MDF box with a seperator between the two. Fiberglass is nice but more difficult to build than a stiff tight box that you could just bolt in.

I currently have a spare battery and a farad cap in my Z28 with MDF holding it in place, and it's help up great!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

There's no where to bolt...that's the only thing. Now what kind of box were you thinking about??

Is there anyone on here...how'd be able to draw that drawing of mine but add the wheel well area...so i can show my audio shop? I did an okay job of drawing the amps...but if anyone could draw it in the well...i'd really appreciate that!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

Hey man thats reallly one nice drawing!!! , but you would need to fab something up, by using some fiberglass and particleboard. JL's work fine without much airflow going to them, so you should be fine. The worst problem your going to encounter is fitment and finish! With some plexi-glass and carpeting you reallyu can make a awesome compartment for them Start making some fiberglass molds, and see how they turn out!

Good luck man!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Looks good but I would be concerned with heat which is the #1 failure for electronic components.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

any ideas on how to fit the "base" of the amp rack to the "floor?" I have tried to fit both amps in there, the way they are drawn...and they fit fine...i just can't think of how to mount the amps in there...i would most likely carpet or something that whole inside well...dynamatt it first, they some carptet....i dunno...anyone else wanna jump in on this?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

"L" brackets wont work?
Just make sure not to hit the gas tank.
Always look before you screw
Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

I like the idea. The more finished I get with my amp rack the more I want to hide the amps out of plain view. I guess a new alarm is in store before all the stereo stuff gets installed. Here are some pics of the amp rack in progress.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Stryker, SLP it's all in $$, do some research I'm confident you can tackle it...
Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

...an updated pic of some more ideas...

Old 11-13-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Direct quote from the manual for my JL 300/4

Under the section "Cooling Efficency Considerations:"

"Amplifier mounted horizontially, but upside down:
Fair(not recommended if there is less than 1 inch clearence above the amplifier heat sinks)."

I would flip the amps the other way, to where the heat sinks are pointing up. Heat will kill your amps, as others have said.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

I was thinking just use a piece of angle iron drill a pair of holes in it and use bolts and lockwashers to hold it to the spare tire securing bracket, drill 2 holes opposite in the body tap them and bolt down another piece of angle iron, in lay mdf in between, mount it to the iron and amps on top..not elaborate but itll work..
Old 11-13-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

The only prbolem there would be i would have horrible access to the controls to change the settings....what about if i flipped them up on there side...?

As far as the other guy above this post....i really didn't understand any of what you suggested?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Here's another idea...

The guys that are putting in the motor are very good with welding. What if i had them fab up some kind of bracket/mount to attach the amps to the inner fender well there...the only thing is...i'm not sure how they would attach both amps...any ideas on that?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
"L" brackets wont work?
Just make sure not to hit the gas tank.
Always look before you screw

uh huh... but now, after my boner- I have a nice Racetronix fuel pump installled.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLPHawk300
The only prbolem there would be i would have horrible access to the controls to change the settings....what about if i flipped them up on there side...?

As far as the other guy above this post....i really didn't understand any of what you suggested?
Sorry, that was a bit vague after I read it again. Mount the heat sinks facing up or to the side. They were not designed to be mounted pointed down, because heat rises upward.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I can mount them upside down if there is enough air passing underneath the amp, or heat sinks, correct? So if there is what, an inch or more of space i'll be fine?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

maybe u should think of having them suspended with just an aluminum bar frame.......... if looks arent a big component...... ive seen it done and it looks very nice and u can mount them however u like becuase nothing is trapping the heat in.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

Could you possibly draw it? Or explain it somemore...i cannot picture what you're talking about. If you could draw it or show me a pic that would be fantastic