Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

JBL Speaker up-grade in-progress

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking JBL Speaker up-grade in-progress

Well, this blown driver's side door speaker has force me to bite the bullet more soon then later in the Z28. Having this passion for the JBL's that I have. After doing an up-grade alot similar to this in my x '96 Impala SS. I found the JBL's to be top knoch for this assignment. So, this is the route I'm taking w/ the Z28's up-grade, also. The main different w/ the Z is the Monsoon HU has already been removed by the pervious owner. In favor of, a Pioneer AM/FM/XM single CD player(50w/4).

Anyhoo, I have a pair of the GTO605c 2-way(75wRMS 220peak) for the front doors) and I stopped by an auth. JBL dealer yesterday and looked @ some GTO636's 3-way(60wRMS 180peak) for the back seat/hatch area.

So, I'm headed on over there later this morning to have 'em installed. The owner of the (alill indend.)shop seemed pretty knowledgable about the Monsoon amp and what it could and couldn't do, as far as getting some power out of this set-up w/ the w/ the Pioneer HU. So, we'll see how it turns out. It has to be better then what I have now w/ that flippin blown speaker.

Later,
Don

Last edited by Don B 02 Z28; 11-27-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

YES!!! The Z has most definitely got better tunes, now

Anybody in the market for some used Monsoon door/hatch area speakers?

Later,
Don

Last edited by Don B 02 Z28; 11-27-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Just to be on the safe side, here. After doing the speaker up-grade in the doors and the rear seat area. (Which btw, isn't quiet what I expected out of the 3-way GTO636's. They are not puttin out like I'd had hoped. The sound is mostly comin out of the front GTO605c and the stock 4in mids/subs(?), in the hatch area.)

Which bring me to my point. I'm lookin @ replacing the stock 2ohm 4in. in the hatch area w/ some 4in. JBL GT42 mids(40w RMS/80w peak).

Course, the owner of the independ. JBL shop has already advised me against that. Stating the addition of a sub and amp in the T-Top area would be alot better. But, I not into the teeth rattlin thing. I just want a good quility 4ohm system. That will make full use of the 50w Pioneer HU. Therefore, hopefully gettin away from the 2ohm Monsoon system altogether.

Suggestions and/or opinions are apperciated.

TIA,
Don
Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI: The tweeters and mids are 4-ohm and driven directly off of the HU in a stock Camaro Monsoon setup. Only the four 6.5" woofers driven from the Monsoon Amp are 2-ohm. The Amplified outputs to the woofers are lowpassed in the amp itself.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Uh, great news there, Gent. I was thinkin the 4in. mids in hatch area were also 2ohm. So, I guess it loos like I'm good to go. Granted, the new set-up does sound alot better then before and has alot more thump to it. Now, if I just knew why the rear seat 3-ways (60w/180 peak) weren't puttin out like the component door speakers(also 75w/225 peak)are now.

Thanks for the FYI, Gent
Old 12-03-2005, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

The rear seat speakers shouldn't be three ways. There is no tweeter in the stock setup there and there is a filter to prevent highs from coming through as far as I know. So the shop would have had to wire the hatch 4 inch inputs into the back seat tweeters to make them a 3 way. If that is the case, then your far rear 4inch shouldn't be working or sound crappy from running 4 speakers off the 1 input. You may be running the front JBL's directly off the Pioneer, they may not have even used the Monsoon amp. The rear seat speakers would be different since there isn't a full range hookup. The front tweeters and rear 4 inch speakers run off your head unit, if you run the tweeter inputs(they are full range) in the front and use the 4 inch(full range) inputs in the back, it would totally bypass the Monsoon system and be running off hu power only. Also, the back seat 3 ways are getting 1/2 the power if they did use the Monsoon amp to run them and I can't really see any way they connected the tweeters. You need to ask them how they added a 3 way in the back seat when it is only a factory sub there. Also, even on the front speakers they would have needed to wire the 6.5 and the tweeter seperate with the Monsoon running the 6.5 and the tweeters running off the hu. I'm rambling now, but it is difficult to diagnose when someone else did the install and even if they say they know what they are doing, doesn't mean much. There are people here still trying new things with the Monsoon. I am going out to my car right now to install 2 ohm Infinity 6.5's up front. I'll have my front door speakers out in a few minutes and already replaced my 4 inch with Pioneers, only thing left will be the back seat subs. Hope this helps, if it is confusing then you can pm me and I can answer any questions.

Last edited by rotwiler; 12-03-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced my door speakers with Alpines per the stickies. The sound much better than stock speakers, even with keeping the Monsoon HU/amp. I also replace the rear mids with Alpine SPS-100A's. Now my music sounds much fuller.

All I need is something to plug in the sail panels. I have Image Dynamics CX62's on back order, but I'm tired of waiting for them. I'm now leaning towards putting in Audiobahn AMD60Q's.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 AM
Staging Lane

Btw, Thanks for the fine reply there, rotwiler...lots of good info

I can see now that, my addition of the 3-way in the rear seat area for the factory subs was a mistake. I'll have to check w/ the shop concernin the wiring set-up of these 6.5's. So, what about repl. 'em w/ say another pair of 6.5c's and say not wiring in the tweeters. In order to get more use of the rear seat sub area. I'm not real crazy about cuttin on the body in order to install 8in sub back there.

Other then the rear seat subs the system sounds alot better, now.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

The rear seat speakers seem to be the ones people don't talk about much. The Rockford Fosgate 6.5's I have seen get great feedback and are 4 ohm. I was looking into some Elemental Designs 6.5's dual 4 ohm and wire it to a 2 ohm load..seen some say they rattle the sail pannel(I would think some sound deadening would fix that). Orion makes a new 6.5 that is 3 ohm and some older limited models even were 2ohm, but are difficult to find. I wouldn't go crazy spending much money on them if your using the stock Monsson amp. The power it puts out will be fine for any aftermarket sub, even the cheap ones. I thought about the 2 ohm infinity 6.5's in there too, since they are 2 ohm, but haven't seen many use them there(only in front doors). Some of the stickies on the top of this forum go into great detail and what has worked for others. I do know this though...I bought some eDead sound deadening from Elemental designs for $1 a square foot. When I took off my far rear hatch side panels that house the 4 inch speakers(I added Pioneers there)...Instead of sound deadening the entire car because I wanted to save weight...I cut and put the eDead on the backside of the panels and it increased the output sound of the 4 inch by double(can hear them over the fronts now)..total weight was about 3 lbs and was well worth it...plus it stops some of the rear well road noise. It is so flexible I even made a wire cage and covered the 4 inch speaker with the eDead.