Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Problem HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Problem HELP!

Okay, I know some of you are well aware with my electrical issue, but it is driving me beyond insane right now. I was going to go through a drive-thru last night, but ended up having to back out forgetting that my windows wouldnt work because they were acting up, and 2.5 hours in a car without music is a loooong *** ride.

For those of you unfamiliar to my problem, it is this: Sometimes, just randomly, the stereo will shut off and I will lose power to my stereo and power windows only - It will not let me roll them up or down. Then randomly the power will just come back on. Some lights on the stereo will stay turned on, but the clock, and any other feature for music does not work, it does not show any display.

Today, while changing my turn signals, I tried to get to the root of the problem once again, and I didnt get anywhere. Its driving me crazy! I dont know if its linked to my turn signals burning out within a month or what. I was changing the turn signals, and I took a look at each bulb- The right one (which burnt out about a month ago) had cracked off at the base of the bulb, and was fogged up. My left one (Which burnt out yesterday, I thought because of water getting splashed up it burnt out) was exploded inside my corner with black/fogged residue inside the bulb)

I also noticed in my fuse box under the hood that I have no fuses for my headlamps, and I never noticed that before. Do I need fuses there, or could that be the problem?

I noticed there is a little black box labeled battery behind the deck connected to an orange wire. Does this battery die, or what is its function?

I took pictures of the wires coming from and inside the back of my center console if anyone would like to get familiar with them. Sorry its a long post, Im just trying to provide information with pictures so you know what im talking about. I just want to fix this damn problem because its driving me crazy, and how annoying would it be to anyone else to be listening to music and poof! it goes away... then some odd minutes later it turns back on randomly?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 11-28-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Because some of your systems 1/2 way work at random times, I'd say there's a main power problem. By this I mean a major electrical connection is corroded, or has a bad connection, such as:
-12v power to fuse box (red cap next to fuse box on driver's side under the hood)
-Ground between battery and chassis
It is possible that some connections inside the fuse box are messed up as well. What you really need to do, is use a multimeter to test your electrical connections when the problem is occuring. Start at the battery, and work toward the fuse box, then from the fuse box to the device (radio, window motor, etc.)
hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks man.. I was going to use a multimeter before, but just never got around to it. The problem I may have with that is that its just hard to catch somtimes lol, since it works at random. Tomorrow I should be able to check some things, I will check for some corrosion or bad connections in that area, and the other you mentioned. What mode do I use? I think its ohms, but just making sure... also, do I just go from one metal connection to the next, and if it doesnt read, thats my fault? Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is only your stereo and power windows acting up, I'd check the Accessory Control Module. I'm not sure where it's located (under the dash, I presume). This is the module that keeps power to the stereo/windows after you turn the engine off and remove the key.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
If it is only your stereo and power windows acting up, I'd check the Accessory Control Module. I'm not sure where it's located (under the dash, I presume). This is the module that keeps power to the stereo/windows after you turn the engine off and remove the key.
Do you know what it looks like at all so I know what im looking for?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, no. My guess is it would be a small black box with one or 2 connectors attached. Probably smaller than a pack of cigarettes. That should narrow it down to 10 or 20 guesses. lol
Old 11-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Sorry, no. My guess is it would be a small black box with one or 2 connectors attached. Probably smaller than a pack of cigarettes. That should narrow it down to 10 or 20 guesses. lol
haha, I will look into it tomorrow and check back here.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by paarman97maro
Thanks man.. I was going to use a multimeter before, but just never got around to it. The problem I may have with that is that its just hard to catch somtimes lol, since it works at random. Tomorrow I should be able to check some things, I will check for some corrosion or bad connections in that area, and the other you mentioned. What mode do I use? I think its ohms, but just making sure... also, do I just go from one metal connection to the next, and if it doesnt read, thats my fault? Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.
I would use the DC voltage mode. You want to see 11.5-12.8 volts with the engine off. If you are seeing alot less than that, then there is a crappy connection somewhere causing a large voltage drop.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Snootch
I would use the DC voltage mode. You want to see 11.5-12.8 volts with the engine off. If you are seeing alot less than that, then there is a crappy connection somewhere causing a large voltage drop.
Okay thanks. We just got snowed on today, so it was pretty cold. I will get back in the next couple days to let you know if I find anything. Thanks again for the help!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Well today (less then 2 days) my right turn signal burnt out already. I talked to my friend and he thinks its a grouding issue, does anyone else agree, or have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you might have a bad socket on that turn signal. I don't believe it is related to your stereo problem. But, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I was thinking that awhile back. When I changed the bulb in October, the bulb and its holder were burned/melted, as well as the housing a little itself. So you think just replacing the housing may fix this issue? If so, I just snip it off, get a new one, and splice the wires?
Old 12-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Ive also noticed that when the power switches off on the stereo for example, I hear a click, similar to that of a flipping breaker, somewhere in the dash, I think over towards the passenger side.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was thinking that awhile back. When I changed the bulb in October, the bulb and its holder were burned/melted, as well as the housing a little itself. So you think just replacing the housing may fix this issue? If so, I just snip it off, get a new one, and splice the wires?
Yes. I think that will fix your turn signal problem.

Ive also noticed that when the power switches off on the stereo for example, I hear a click, similar to that of a flipping breaker, somewhere in the dash, I think over towards the passenger side.
That would likely be the control module, I mentioned previously. I'll bet that item is the source of your stereo problems.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Well I havent got a chance to do everything mentioned in this thread, but I did get a change to check some things today. The alternator/batter charge is fine. The charge in the bulb socket is not higher/lower when the light is solidly on or as a signal. My friend and I tried diagnosing the stereo problem a little further, but the problem is so persistantly random that is nearly impossible to make judgements of anything.

Maybe this info will help someone of greater knowledge to determine some problems that it could/could not be. Hey, at least I got to replace my turn signals again today :/. Thanks in advance.