Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lost power in the middle of the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lost power in the middle of highway?HELP

Hello yall i was driving on the highway and i was trying to open my electric cutout and all of the sudded my car dies out. There was no power couldnt even turn on the hazard lights. While this happen i also had my subwoofer and slp manual fan switch on. I was stuck on the middle of highway during the day and couldnt even pull on the side of the road.

In a panic i go out side and check my battery loosend the postive cable and removed my subwoofer power wire. And then i reattche the power wire without the subwoofer. The car gets power and fires right up. I been using the cutout and stereo for about 2 years without any problems. I just got done putting a 80mm bbk tb on my car and was going for a test drive.

What would cause somthing like this to happen? I am very worried. Also I just installed H/C on my car a couple of months ago. On the back of the passenger head on the wiring harnnes i attached two ground wires on the back on the head onto one bolt hole. Our maybe it has to do somthing with my subwoofer wire going to the postive battery termanal.

A couple of months ago the first time tried to start my car after the h/c i would try to turn the starter but the car would short out electrcialy. I removed the subwoofer power wire and it fired rightup. But when I placed it back later it worked fine again. But I also accident pluged in a egr wire our a/c sensor wire into my coolant level sensor. Rechecked all the wires after the h/c swap and caught the mistake.Also I have EGR wires that are not attached to anything that just have the clips on them because i removed the egr after I installed a LS6 intake.

Everthing seems to be normal but i am still a little worried. Some help would be great Thanks

Last edited by LS1FIRE; 12-17-2005 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-16-2005, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like the connection may have just worked loose, make sure the pos wire is still tight on the starter too. Go through tomorrow/tonight and clean/inspect all your connections. Power and ground. Get em good and clean and tight.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange - is the cutout still working? I've installed a couple and always use the radio fuse for power and the black wire off the cig lighter for ground (should have an inline fuse on the power side too). If it's still working sounds like something else other than the cutout wiring.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

OK thanks for the suggestion. What seems weird is when my car lost power in the middle of the highway i disconnected my postive wire and also my after market speaker wire. I reattached the power wire without the speaker wire on it and the car fired right up. Took her home today checked all the connections everthing looks okay. Car runs fine even with the aftermarket stero power wire on. Hope everthing will be okay. Also i did my own h/c swap a couple months ago. On the passenger side head i attached to of the grounds togother on the back of the head is this okay?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Strange - is the cutout still working? I've installed a couple and always use the radio fuse for power and the black wire off the cig lighter for ground (should have an inline fuse on the power side too). If it's still working sounds like something else other than the cutout wiring.
The cutouts still works. Also my manual SLP fan switch and subwoofer was on at the time of the problem. All i did was disconnect my battery and removed my stero system wire and the car got power and fired right up. Went home and checked the wiring the power wire for the cutout goes into the fuse panel on the side of the driver door. And the ground was grounded to a nut under the plastic cover by the trunk release.

Thanks

Last edited by LS1FIRE; 12-17-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

I kinda edited the first post so that people could understand my spelling LOL i was in a panic when i first wrote it. Thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Default Lost power in the middle of the highway?

Hello yall i posted a thread on the PCM section. I thought maybe give it a try here as well. Here is a link to the thread. My car lost electical power and dieod out here a link explaining the situation. Thanks for reading. Some advice would be awsome. Thanks
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423318
Old 12-18-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would start by disconnecting (pulling the fuse) out of the components you added such as cutouts, subs, etc... to try and narrow down the problem to a specific area.