Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Critique the system i want, please give opinions, or options

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Critique the system i want, please give opinions, or options

1.head unit-ALPINE CDA-9851
2.MTX THUNDERFORM WITH 10INCH SUB(250rms for the sub that comes with it) for the back
3.Alpine SPS-171A 6.5" Component speakers for the front.

Im not going to use anything in the sail panel since i will have a sub in back. What amp should i buy? im trying to get everything under 1k including wiring and crap like that. Im gonna be buying soon, so all help appreciated as i don't know much about Audio stuff.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
317indy

i say support a man who supports the fbody community and buy a subthump box. His boxes are top quality. Get a subthump box and an alpine type-r 10" and a mono channel amp for the sub. But you are wrong, you will need something for the rear speakers. Its needed for concert sound. Without vocals from the rear, you will be flooded with bass. I suggest coaxil (type-r) again and buy a 4 channel amp for the components and rear coaxils.

:-)

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

The alpines sound good, but I would bail on the MTX. There are much better subs to be had out there, IMO. I too like the idea of coaxials in the sails, makes the sound better to me, but there are those that feel differently....to each his own.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alpine 170's are so commonly recommended because they allow easy bi-amp modification for use with the monsoon setup. I don't think, that they are a good choice for the money when going with a new amp and rewiring from scratch.

Don't get me wrong, the alpines are decent speakers, but you should try listening to a few different types before settling in on them.

I'd recommend MB Quarts, but Infinity and Polk seem to be quite popular as well. I think mostly because they are commonly available. It is my $0.02 that the Alpines are a little harsh. Some people may like that, but I don't prefer it. Research around and you'll see that Alpine is not really a strong speaker brand in general.

I've always been fond of high-line JBL and MB Quart coaxials. Ideally you'd spring for very strong front drivers or components even, and go with a similar (same manufacturer, same tweeter) lower cost coaxial in the rear panels. For example using Polk components up front and a lower line polk coaxial in the back.

For the sub the 10" stealth boxes are good to go. If you like the MTX product that is fine, but I'd go with a 4+1 or 4+2 channel amp driving everything, a stealthbox, and the 10" sub of your liking. If you have a little more money to work with there is a good arguement to go with a 4 channel amp and a 1 channel class D sub amp, but it is of course more costly that way.

For subs you'll get 5000 different answers, but JL seems to be at the top of the mainstream, with Rockford, Kicker, and many other companies also having good offerings.

With $1,000, I'd go:

- 240 h/u
- 100 fronts
- 60 rears
- 120 sub box
- 300 amp
- 100 sub
- rest in wiring, and I don't know the exact price of a stealthbox so that's a guess.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Launching!

I would definately add some rear speakers... and don't go too cheap on the wiring... I have seen so many wires that are labeled as 4 gauge, and is actually 8 gauge with a 4 gauge sheath...

Depending on what you are looking for, you could easily end up spending well over 1k.. so be prepared.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Teching In

If you can afford it, some JL W6's and 2 pairs of JL VR/XR 650 CSi Evolutions will sound badass.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i appreciate all the input, i wish i could hear the speakers, but unless bestbuy has them, so all i have to go on is peoples opinion.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 317indy
But you are wrong, you will need something for the rear speakers. Its needed for concert sound. Without vocals from the rear, you will be flooded with bass
What is concert sound? At a concert, the soundstage is in front of you, not behind you. You really don't want higher frequencies coming from behind you at all.
Bass should ideally be the only thing behind you, and it should be tuned to the point that it becomes transparent and almost seems like the speakers reproducing it are in the front of the car with you.
I'm not a big fan of rearfill at all.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Launching!

bass should actually come from in front of you if you want the "most accurate" "concert" sound, but that just isn't feasible for most vehicles...

I personally like to have rear fill so that I get a similar sound no matter where I turn my head... plus it helps to make it louder while still being clean.

and JL speakers sound great... but aren't cheap. (at least not for the xr or zr series anyway) I know I spend more than 400 on just front and rears on ebay.