Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio Gurus, need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Audio Gurus, need some help.

I'm wanting to hook my Zen Micro into my car, so I need some RCA inputs. I can get a PAC GM9 converter for cheap through my work. From what I've read though, it seems as though it wouldn't work if the slave unit (cd changer) wasn't there and functioning all the time.

I was wondering if this was the case, and if so, is there a way to fool the converter ,via modifying the wiring, into thinking that the cd changer (which I no longer have, btw) is constantly playing?

Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slow down hoss. What do you have in the car right now? All stock?
Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Slow down hoss. What do you have in the car right now? All stock?
Stock Monsoon system.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
Stock Monsoon system.
Oh.
I pulled my Monsoon out in the first week I got the car. They suck.
I don't think I can help you.
If you have to have a separate working slave unit which uses the GM 9 pin connector (1995-2002 vehicles) then maybe you could find an external CD changer, cassette player and/or single CD player on ebay for cheap.

Aftermarket HU would be nice as well.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Aftermarket HU would be nice as well.
First, I'm a little confused as well. The GM9 plugs into where the CD charger harness normally would be. Then you basically use it as if it were a CD changer. So what do you mean it only works in the CD changer is functioning the whole time?

That's a good point. You can upgrade to an aftermarket headunit without any special mods to the Monsoon system. Pick one out the already has an AUX input and you're done. And maybe for the same price as the GM9 and new headunit you're looking at.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the GM9 plugs in between the radio and external component. Then the input on the radio needs to be set to accept sound from that source. Like if you plug the CD changer in there, you will need to have the CD changer active for the sound from the aux input to be heard.

It sounds like a bandaid solution someone came up with. If you could find a factory cassette player that would plug in for like 15 bucks on ebay then you'd be set. Ideally you want to ditch all that monsoon crap, but if you can't do that, then a new HU would be my choice.

If you had an Ipod you'd really be set. Pretty much all the new radios have Ipod control. You wouldn't even need to look at the screen. The data would be on the radio display and you control it with the radio buttons. What the heck is a Zen Micro anyway? I'll have to google it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

The Zen Micro is from Creative Labs. It's a nice little mp3 player. I was gonna get an iPod, but I decided to get the Micro because it's bigger. I would quickly break something as small as the iPod nano. :emb2:

I like my Monsoon system, I have upgraded the front speakers with the Alpine SPS-170A's. I'm just looking for a way to add the aux input w/o spending a ton of money. I can get the GM9 for $30 from my work, that's why I'm particularly looking for that.

Like I said though, I've read/heard that the input only works if the slave unit (which I no longer have) is plugged in, and constantly operating. I was thinking I could get the little $30 part, and convince the system with either some fancy wiring, or a cheap resistor that the cd changer was there and functioning.

I appreciate the input guys, but I still haven't gotten the answer to my question.

I'm hoping that I don't have to just break down and buy a new HU.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't wait for an answer. Did you search or google for PAC GM9 or similar key words. Someone out there should know.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PIE GM9-AUX works without a cd changer. Can you get this cheap through your work? Can you get me one cheap?