Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail panel speakers

I have a 2002 Z28 with the Monsoon. Nothing has been changed out yet. I have some Alpines for the door speakers. I want to upgrade the sail panel speakers to something that produces a decent amount of bass as I am not planning on adding a subwoofer but I do like bass. So for this size what is the best option, and where can I get it.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SEARCH!

eD eu700s, CDT M6, Image Dynamics.........
Old 06-16-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna do subs in the bird but then i was like eh weight and cost..

I got apline components upfront.. audiobahn amp out back putting 75 rms to each speaker

on ebay i see MB Quart Midbass and MA Audio Midbass the MA is 75 RMS while the Quart is 65.. decently priced at 60-70 for the sets to anyone used them??
Old 06-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Boston Acoustics, CDT, Infinity, Alpine, and MA Audio. They all sound different. Bostons and CDT have the best mid bass. MA Audio actually sound better than the Alpines. Good midbass just not quite as deep as the BA's or CDT. Infinity came in last in my opinion. Just not alot of depth and kinda thin. MB Quart makes a nice speakers as well. I haven't used them personally but they make a good product. If you can spend about $100.00 get the CDT's CL-6 does great. They make a carbon fiber cast basket one for $120.00 that kick butt. IF you are on more of a budget get the MA Audio's. I actually buy those wholesale as well as they're whole line of stuff.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
I have used Boston Acoustics, CDT, Infinity, Alpine, and MA Audio. They all sound different. Bostons and CDT have the best mid bass. MA Audio actually sound better than the Alpines. Good midbass just not quite as deep as the BA's or CDT. Infinity came in last in my opinion. Just not alot of depth and kinda thin. MB Quart makes a nice speakers as well. I haven't used them personally but they make a good product. If you can spend about $100.00 get the CDT's CL-6 does great. They make a carbon fiber cast basket one for $120.00 that kick butt. IF you are on more of a budget get the MA Audio's. I actually buy those wholesale as well as they're whole line of stuff.
wanna hook it up i work at a car audio place but we get alpine, pioneer and such not the cheaper MA
Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Banned

Yea, I have 2 places I buy from. I'll get back to you Mon. and let you know for sure.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

how much are the MA speakers?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Not much you can do with a six inch driver. Even if it was high end, a cone that small can't move much air. Simple physics. Mid-bass reproduction may be decent, even good (the stockers aren't bad ya know, especially when fed a clean signal), but don't think you'll be hearing much from the deep end (20-40 Hz) of the spectrum.

Ask yourself this question. How many high end sub manufacturers (Velodyne, RE, TC, JL etc) even make a 6.5" sub? Some of these companies won't even bother with an 8" sub, which are at best a tiny segment of the market, usually catering to applications where space is severely constrained. Most audioheads will tell you that if you want real bass (the ability to extend down to sub-bass frequencies) 10" should be your STARTING point.

Not saying you cannot improve on the factory setup by replacing the sail panel "subs", but you'll essentially be upgrading on inadequate speaker for another. If you like bass as much as you say you do, try listening to the Sopranos intro song (which rolls in around 35 cycles) in your Camaro, then listen to same A3 track at CC or BB through a 10/12 inch sub. The difference will be night and day.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Agree 100%, at least a single 10 inch sub is needed for any good bass. The hatchback in the F body cars really brings out the bass, so a small stealth box and sub and you can really improve the sound more than you think. Also the weight isn't that much...a wood box would weigh more, but there are other materials used out there. I have some infinity 62.7i's in my sailpanel, easy fit, but they are only for mids and highs...without my subs there is still a void in the low bass that really is needed to make music sound like it should. I kept the stock monsoon amp..added 2 10's and infinity 62.7i's in door/sailpanel...much improved the sound, but when I turn the subs off, it sound blah..with no real punch.. as a combined system it sounds great.
I went to the track with my box removed for weight, then went with it in...my times were only off by about 3/100ths.. I even had some better 60 foot times with the box in(extra weight back there).
Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

The 6.5" speakers are strickly for mid bass. Like the others said you really need a sub to get the low end frequencies. That's what subs are made for. Mid bass just catch the frequencies in between. I have 2 sets of the MA Audio MA65b. I will get em to you for $70.00 w/shipping. Brand new in boxes. They are not CDT, Focal, MB Quart, etc. but for $70.00 w/shipping these will do just fine for a mid bass.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

^^^^^^^^^ This guy knows what he is talkn' about right here. He recommended I get the CDT CL6e's. They are a great mid-bass! Very easy to install, fit in the original holes, all you need to do is use a screw guy and tighten those suckers up to the bare metal there, nice and snug.

Quick Reply: Sail panel speakers