Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subthumps boxes fit like poooh

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subthumps boxes fit like poooh

I'm in the middle of installing a very nice stereo system in my TA, and everything was going well until I got to the subthump part.

The driver’s side: I had to take the carpet off the box and cut 1/4 inch off the top lip of the box for it to fit. If I could take another 1/4 inch i would... the sail panel is still cocked slightly up and out.

The passenger’s side: This side looks like crap and ruins the whole install. The box doesn't mate correctly with the carpet on the floor. There's a big gap between where the box sits and where the carpet ends. You can see the painted metal floor.

Disappointed, anyone else have these problems?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to work with mine a little to get things where I wanted them but nothing like that. I ended up bending the metal tabs up or down depending. These are the tabs the plastic is attached to whether by the push pins drivers side or the plastic flatheads on the passenger side. Other than that....had no issues after man handling it a bit!!
Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found that mine MOSTLY fit without the carpet in the car. But that's no good. So I attacked it with a drum sander on a dremel. It's better now, but it's also no longer the pressure fit it once was, and it's still not perfect - the plastic interior pieces don't lay down the way they used to.

I trimmed/sanded the bottom rear edges of the box, and the rear edges of the front of the box (where it first steps out from the smallest point). Took it down to the staples and may need to go more.

Ultimately, I'm going to have to fab up some sort of bracket to hold it in place by the time I get it to actually fit I think.

For the money, I really wanted an exact fit. It's the only reason I DIDN'T bother to take the materials I have in my garage and fab one myself.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no idea there were issues with the fit on these.... you'd think they'd have it down considering how long they've been making these boxes bor..
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

I had a friend who ordered a dual 12" sub box for his silverado, and we had to make little feet for it to make it fit, And the backseat didnt want to go down... on top of it all, it sounded Horrible, the design was bad, the subs were painted towards the floor and wouldnt let the sound flow through the car. It was like a pretty sealed enclosure, there to rattle the **** ouf of the cabin, instead of to hear music.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought mine about a year ago and i havent had any problems installing it. only problem i have with it is that the box slides down somethimes, but thats cuz i am a crazy driver. box sounds good. i have been pleased with it so far. i have the ttop box, by the way.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was going to order one soon. This is the 1st I've heard about fitment issues
Old 07-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
I found that mine MOSTLY fit without the carpet in the car. But that's no good. So I attacked it with a drum sander on a dremel. It's better now, but it's also no longer the pressure fit it once was, and it's still not perfect - the plastic interior pieces don't lay down the way they used to.

I trimmed/sanded the bottom rear edges of the box, and the rear edges of the front of the box (where it first steps out from the smallest point). Took it down to the staples and may need to go more.

Ultimately, I'm going to have to fab up some sort of bracket to hold it in place by the time I get it to actually fit I think.

For the money, I really wanted an exact fit. It's the only reason I DIDN'T bother to take the materials I have in my garage and fab one myself.
I took the carpet out behind the box and the little plastic grill-looking piece on the floor behind the driver’s side fender well… and still had to trim the box down. The box is back as far as it will go; I can hear it touch the metal in the rear when I push the box in. Trust me, it still doesn’t fit easily... and it’s still not quite right. I test fitted the t-tops, and I think I might have ¼ inch between the sub and the passenger t-top. I’m even more concerned now.

The passenger side box still looks like ***. It’s a box made for the general area behind the passenger side fender well, but it creates an eye-sore because the face of the box doesn't mate well with shape of the original molded carpet. There's a big gap between where the original carpet ends and where the box sits... you can see the floor! I’m at a lose here… not sure what to do yet.

To be honest, I’m thinking about switching to a t-top box because the driver's side box doesn't fit well, and I can’t deal with the looks of the passenger side. I just hate to haul around an extra 30 pounds of wood.

Last edited by bigblueturtle; 07-03-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Yahelou
i bought mine about a year ago and i havent had any problems installing it. only problem i have with it is that the box slides down somethimes, but thats cuz i am a crazy driver. box sounds good. i have been pleased with it so far. i have the ttop box, by the way.

Can you notice the weight difference with the t-top box, handling, acceleration?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

which box do you have would help. stealths?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

BBT - why not ditch/return/sell the passenger side box and work the driver's side box to fit? (drum sander tips on dremels work wonders)

I have 1 10" Polk sub powered by a 600W Kenwood amp (bridged outputs and amp in mono output mode), and it's MORE than enough. In fact, it's border-line TOO much.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

i have the t top dual 12 box and it fit like a glove. bought their elemental designs subs and very happy with the s/q. i had a w7 in there before but my amp wasn't stable at 3 ohm hence is why its now in the wifes honda
Old 07-03-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigblueturtle
Can you notice the weight difference with the t-top box, handling, acceleration?
it is a heavy box including the subs i put in them. it definitly hurt my 1/4 mile, but i should have taken them out; and they are easy to take out and put in. but my car is a daily driver, i am willing to sacrifice handlin and acceleration for the subs. but it is very minor effect to me tho.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

I just ordered a drivers side stealth box so this isnt really what i wanted to hear... hope mine ends up fitting alright.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Launching!

i have a driver side box and cant really complain. I would say a 8 out of 10 on being happy with box.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the record...mine fit ok...I'm just very picky. I have had others that fit better...the MTX and the Vantage enclosures were a perfect fit. The subthump enclosure I have didn't fit as well as the other ones but still fit. It just took some effort to get it exactly where I wanted it. The passenger side enclosure was a little more difficult to make the carpet sit right and for it to slide back into place. It still only took a little while to get it where I wanted it. Sound wise...I am very pleased with the sound. I have always liked stealth enclosures for moderate levels of bass. They really do a metal song or techno/industrial justice. If your looking for deep, heavy, thunderous, low end...go with a different enclosure. Most will be very satisfied with one 10" sub in the hatch though. If more is desired and you have to have the trunk...get a passenger side to add to it. This combined with a good quality sub will be more than enough for most.