Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

rpm/spedometer and others on the panel completely out.. i need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rpm/spedometer and others on the panel completely out.. i need help!

ok so tonight i took her out for a ride... i noticed that my cluster was a bit too dark.. so i find that my radio is not working, but the buttons light up. the ebrake indicator is out, the temp guage, rpm, spedometer completely not working. also when i lock and open the car none of the exterior lights light up indicating. what could be the problem? im guessing a bad fuse.. if so anyone know which one? help me out guys. also i just installed some hid fogs, could that have been the problem?

thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check the GAUGES fuse first. Then check the COURTESY fuse. Finally, check the RADIO and PWR ACCY fuses. Always test fuses or replace them with a known good fuse - a fuse can look fine but still be blown.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Launching!

ttt. i need help guys
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Did you check all the fuses that WhiteBird mentioned? I had a problem once after an engine swap. The dealer hadn't quite seated the PCM connectors all the way down. I intermittently lost some of my gauges and indicator lights. Make sure those are secure, but fuses are what you should be checking first.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

phew! everythings all better now. it was a busted power acc. fuse
Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 AM
Launching!

the fuse is busted again.... could it be the hid fogs i have installed?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by lferdzl
the fuse is busted again.... could it be the hid fogs i have installed?
That depends on how you wired them. If you used the original fog light wiring then no, the fog lights couldn't be causing the POWER ACCY fuse to blow because they are unrelated to anything on that circuit. On the other hand, if you connected the fogs to other circuits then it is possible.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Launching!

oh... any general clues as to which/ what is blowing that fuse? I guess its just coincidence.. btw all I did was plug the hids into the stock wiring harness...
Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I may have been a little premature in saying that the fog lights aren't related to the PWR ACCY fuse. I forgot that the fog lights flash with the parking lights when the alarm is activated. The alarm system is powered through the PWR ACCY fuse so it's possible that the fuse is blowing when you activate or deactivate the alarm. The easy way to check is to turn off the fog light switch before getting out of the car for the next few days and see if the fuse stops blowing. Another way to test would be to put in a good fuse and then activate and deactivate the alarm a couple of times (without starting the car or turning anything else on) to see if the fuse blows.

If that is the cause of the problem then I wouldn't recommend using a bigger fuse because that circuit is live all the time and is connected to several other circuits in the car. Those other circuits have smaller gauge wiring that couldn't safely handle more than the original 15-amp fuse that's protecting them. I would recommend adding a relay to handle the extra current draw from the new fog lights.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 AM
Launching!

thanks for the advice... does make sense.. ill give it a try for a few days and see if it blows again or not