Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alt. whine - noise filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alt. whine - noise filter? (fixed)

I'm getting a whine from what I can assume is the alternator. I've followed the steps on this thing I got from Crutchfield, here it is.

I followed the steps through having the RCA cabled connected at the amp and disconnected at the head unit. That got rid of the noise, and I did the thing after that where it said to pull the stereo out and try it and there was still noise, so then it says to install a noise filter. How are these things? It says to install them on one or both of the power leads, but I would just need it on the ground wire, correct?

The only thing that has me confused it that it was working fine for a long time. Then, I installed a sub off of the two leads I wasn't using on my infinity amp, accidentally blew it up, got a new one, got everything installed, and now I have noise and it appears to be from the power source of the head unit. I haven't changed the ground wire or anything and it just started whining.

Anyway, thanks for any help, just looking for some opinions on what to do.

Last edited by 87formy; 09-03-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Problems resolved1
Old 08-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this might not help in your situation, but when I had noise problems like these, separating the power cable from the patch cables worked for me. I made sure they were as far apart as possible from each other, so the power cable runs down the passenger side of the car and the patch cables run down the driver's side.

Definitely not an easy problem to diagnose...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

They were opposite, I just cut them nice and short and ran them down the center today beacuse I had way to much excess wire there. They're still a good two feet or so from the power wire though.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of variables to consider when dealing with noise issues. Seperation of the power and RCA's is important but more important is use of quality RCA's that do not allow as much noise to enter the signal.
Another key variable is a good ground using appropriate gauge wire. This can lead to noise issues as well.
One other thing I had happen to me once was a bad HU. The RCA's started to make the noise right from the source unit itself. That was a tough one to track down.

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 09-04-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I'll go a little more in-depth with it and see if anyone can help me track this down.

I'll try to quickly go over everything and ask a few questions here and there along the way. I have your basic pioneer HU hooked up to a 4 channel infinity amp powering two speakers and a sub. I've had everything installed except one of the RCA's and the sub since the beginning of the year, with no noise.

Now, the new RCA that I put in doesn't seem to be as high of quality as my other one as far as shielding goes, but there is almost nothing, even electrical, anywhere near it. Here's my question, that cheap one is only for the rear channels/sub and most of my noise is comming from my front speakers. If that cable is picking up noise is there any way for it to be passed on to my front speakers?

My HU is grounded on my dash with some other wires, but it never picked up any noise before and now it's really bad. Would it be safe to assume that that ground is good and nothing could've happened to it? My amp is grounded by a 4 gauge wire that's pretty short right to the chasis, bare metal and everything with a nice big bolt going through it.

Final questions, is that chart I got off crutchfield correct in telling me that the noise is comming from before the RCA's? My brother has a pioneer head unit in his car, it's slightly difficult to get out (as in 5 or 10 minuted of work), is it worth it to pull that one out and plug it in to see if my head unit could be bad? Last one, should I order a noise filter?? They're like 15 bucks...Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a whine noise for a while too...I thought it had just come out of no where, since I hadnt changed my stereo setup in anyway shape or form.

But what I did change was a new set of spark plugs and wires. The wires were the MSD wires that are so popular.

Unfortunetly for me, it was the plug wires that were letting noise into the system somehow. It took me over a week to even think about that as a possiblilty.

I ordered a set of GMPP wires, replaced all 8, and found a quite sound system again.

Even if its not your spark plugs or wires, there could be some other change you made, not knowing it might effect the stereo.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Restricted User

re-ground your head unit. Use 12 gauge wire and go straight to sheet metal under the center console, no more then 2 feet away.

80% of all noise issues I've had in an fbody were fixed by regrounding the head unit.

mike
Old 08-20-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you might have just found the problem Michael. I'm having this problem in my 95 Dakota. While I was waiting for my new amp my truck broke down and the mechanic I took it to put a new distributor, distributor cap, and a cam sensor in it. How the hell did you even think of that I really don't know how they would even effect it, but would grounding my head unit in a different place help that at all if that's the problem? Anyway, I'll try what you said Mike, I have some 12 gauge speaker wire that would work fine. Thanks for the ideas/solutions!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, just wanted to say that I got rid of the noise. It wasn't ignition noise from the new distributor, it was clearly a whine from the engine. I threw in a noise filter and regrounded the head unit. It made the noise a little quieter to the point where I could play my music over it if I turned it up enough.

After that I was really disappointed and wasn't sure what to do. Then I remembered what KEE AUDIO said about a bad head unit and it all clicked. When I was installing the sub, I accidentally pinched a speaker wire and messed up my amp. It must've messed up my stereo too! I stole the stereo out of my brother's car because it was a pioneer and tried it out. It worked flawlessly and I couldn't be happier. I figured what the hell and plugged in my stereo to my brothers car and started it up. Guess what, no whine!!

So, I informed my brother of what went down and requested a trade until I get a new one and he didn't have any problems with it. Thanks for all the help everyone, especially KEE AUDIO for the good call. I plan on getting some of those fancy speakers from you when I have spare cash for my firebird.