Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Couple questions, pre out voltage etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple questions, pre out voltage etc

Posting here because I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to car audio and have a few questions. You guys always seem to know what is going on in the world of audio.

Had a speaker blow actually in my acura, so I am redoing the entire sound system.

So far I have ordered:

Kicker L7 10 inch in a vented enclosure, 2ohm
Kicker ZX600 amp to power the sub
Kicker KS 6 1/2s for doors
Kicker KS 6x9s for the back
4g amp kit

I am going to replace the stock radio and am really torn on what to do.

I get accomodations on all the kicker stuff and the eclipse stuff.

I am comparing right now the Pioneer 5900 which i can get for 175, to the Eclipse 7100 that I can get for 350. The pio has 4v pre outs and the eclipse has 8v. Some people have said that it will make a dramatic increase in sound quality if I go with the higher pre out voltage unit. I am just trying to see if that is correct. Would I be content with the pio or spend the extra for the eclipse unit? We get no accomadations on the pio but the eclipse unit retails for 700 i believe.

I also plan to run the KS speakers on just the HU for now and then add in a ZX 850 later on.

Thanks for your time

Sean
Old 09-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do get better sound quality with higher preamp voltage. The Eclispe unit is a VERY nice unit as are most of the Eclipse line. If you have the money I'd go with that HU over the Pioneer. Pioneer does make a nice deck though...Eclipse just makes a nicer one and is more geared for audiophile sound quality hence the 8volt preamp outs. If you prefer to keep a little money in your pocket, the Pioneer wouldn't be disappointing to you as I have had a 780MP and it was nice but I would have traded it anyday for an Eclipse.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Appreciate the fast reply. I could get another amp almost plus the pioneer HU for the extra cost of the eclipse, but the discount on the eclipse is so nice its hard to pass up.

Do you think I would be content with the 7100 powering the 4 speakers for a while until I add another amp for them?

Thanks again
Old 09-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great deck and you'd be fine for awhile on that alone with the 4 speakers. The HU is not something you want to spend less money on. It is the source of all your sound. Everything else just amplifies it. So I'd go with that until you can afford an amp.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

haha, kind of knew I would steer towards the eclipse.

Its a 700 dollar unit vs a 225, but I can get the eclipse for just 150 more than the pio

A guy at work also recommended the eclipse but I just had to have extra conformation.

Again, thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is a misconception about preamp output voltage that says that higher voltage means better sound quality. That's only partly true. Home stereo systems use low voltage preamp output (usually 1 to 1.5 volts) because it provides the best quality sound with the least distortion. The problem is that cars are very bad environments for electrical noise. Increasing the preamp voltage reduces the impact of other electronics on the audio signal but it introduces more distortion. Basically it's a trade-off...reduced noise for a small (often inaudible) increase in distortion. Most of us would rather have that slight increase in distortion than the noise.

Typical car head units have around 2-2.5 volt preamp output so the Pioneer is already "high voltage" (relatively speaking) and the Eclipse is way out there. I agree with KEE AUDIO that the Eclipse units are a step up from the Pioneer but I wouldn't base a decision merely on the preamp output voltage. You would not be disappointed with the sound quality from the Pioneer so you should make your choice based on features and budget.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for that added information. That did clear a few things up because I had no basic before to make a decision on. I did not know that 4 would actually be considered on the "higher end"

The 3100 thru accom is very cheap, but I really do not like the looks of it asthetically. The 5100/7100 look nice to me and so does the pioneer.

The 5100 is only 75 bucks more than the pioneer and I don't see any real features the 7100 has over it, besides the 8v preouts. The 5100 has 5v preouts itself anyway.

Sigh, more thinking required. The nav system on the 5100/7100 is pretty neat and I can add the gps unit so it monitors where the car is in relation to the "map". The only other thing that is required is a nice interface for my ipod. I know the pioneer is nice, but have read that navigating thru the ipod menus can be somewhat annoying due to the one huge button.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ipod + eclipse sucks

IMO get the pioneer and a 4 channel amp

I assume you work at circuit city as I once did, the pioneer 4 channel amp the like cheap 65rmsX4 is actually a decent amp
Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Can you elaborate on why the eclipse sucks with ipod?

Ha, you are right I do work at circuit. There until I get done with college. Only a year and half left, just taking advantage of the discounts while I can.

Don't get accom thru pioneer unfortunately.

I can get the kicker 90x4 for 105, the 170x4 for 174, or the 215x4 for 225(wouldn't this be too powerful?)
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90x4 at 100 bucks is a great price

My buddy had an eclipse 5100 with the eclipse ipod adapter and unless you are using playlist its horriable to navigate super slow just a **** design interface. IMO if you go with an eclipse dont use there ipod interface use a universal one that will charge your ipod and give you the lineout but let you do all controls from the ipod.

Take the ipod adapter you have instock and plug it into one of the eclipse radios and see how it works lol
Old 09-15-2007, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Think i am gonna go with the pioneer. Went into work today and messed with both HUs for a while. I think for my needs, it will suit fine.

I will spend the money saved in a few months to add a nice kicker amp to the speakers