Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any trick places for a killswitch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any trick places for a killswitch?

I'm thinking for about $5-$10 in hardware a killswitch would be a good idea for the Camaro. I'm trying to think of a good place to hide the switch. I was thinking of having it set up so it would engage/disengage when I put the visor up or down, but that would suck if anyone else ever drove my car (I'm tall enough so that the roofline blocks the sun so I don't need to use the visor). Same problem for having it set up so that my seat has to be all the way back for the car to start. I want something 007 cool, a good spot where a thief wouldn't find it, and easily accessable without reaching around too much.

I was also thinking about having it kill the fuel pump instead. Would this be hard? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

What about mounting it in row with the seat adjustment switches? I guess that might be a little visible. The visor would be pretty trick too if you could get it set up without seeing any wires. An easier way i think i'd do would be to mount it under the ash tray so you'd have to take out the ash tray to access it.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Ive thought alot about this and if you killed the fuel pump, then somebody could crank on it and burn up your starter. but I was thinkin just a switch for the starter, so that you had to have the visor all the way down to start it, or Ive heard of people holding down the window button as a switch so you can use the starter.

Ok but on the other hand Ive got a 6spd so it could still be pull started. hmmm
Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i put one in that driver foot rest on the very left. it was a black low profile rocker switch that blended in perfectly. you could click it with your foot before you get out and back on when you get back on and nobody even knows what you are doing.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is where I mounted my cutout switch... looks pretty stock to me!

Old 01-12-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

if you pull out the lil ashtray....you could put it there...thats were i did its conveint and people dont really think of that to look for one
Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanfx
Here is where I mounted my cutout switch... looks pretty stock to me!

what are the other switches for and the light, im guessing not the seat lol!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Regular

im going to guess...that the lights is for when he knows the cutout is open or ot...and the other switches he has power seats lol
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Launching!

Default lol!

i guess the ones with the arrows pointing front and back go with seats lmao!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28berryhill
im going to guess...that the lights is for when he knows the cutout is open or ot...and the other switches he has power seats lol
ding ding ding
Old 01-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Okay, here is one that is totally stealth. If you don't ever use the courtesy light switch built into the dimmer switch (turn it all the way up until it clicks) then you have a switch nobody will ever notice. You would want to set it up so that the car won't start (or run) when the switch is on. You turn the switch on when you leave the car and put it back to normal dimmer position when you return. The gray wire in position C is the input wire (it normally goes to the BCM) and the black wire in position B goes to ground (or you could disconnect it and wire it somewhere else).
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

what about 2 cool tricks for the price of one? have it set up so you put the key to "run" then have a hidden push start ignition? i think thats what i would do. (put the push start were everyone else put there kill switch)
Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard you can wire it with the cig lighter When you push it in it completes the circut and the car will start . you have to take the pos wire off of the lighter and use it as a ground I don't know if it will work Anyone have a clue? But i would kill the fuel pump or the ignition not the starter then you can hear them trying to start it if they try to steal it at night.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like to kill the fuel pump.. Someone could still start the car if it's been run recently (Residual pressure in the lines), but it'll only go a few feet.. once the car moves, it becomes grand theft, not just larceny. You'd also hear it start up.. I know just the starter motor could wake me up, but the exhaust would!

Bypassing just the starter would still possibly let someone bump-start it (if a 6-speed)
Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Plus the noise from it cranking but not starting will make them haul *** if it will not turn over they may take a few minutes to look for the switch if it turns over then kills they won't hang around to look for a switch or just break **** out of spite