Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel btns and airbag lite

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering wheel btns and airbag lite

Help fellas

I have a 2001 ss in wich the steering wheel controls are not working anymore. This occured after I installed a new engine, at least that is when I first notice it. I have checked all fuses and nothing. Is thier somthiing that I am missing.

Also the airbag lite on the dash is on.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u take the wheel off sounds like u forgot to hook the stuff up on the column
Old 01-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zmonsterjb
Help fellas

I have a 2001 ss in wich the steering wheel controls are not working anymore. This occured after I installed a new engine, at least that is when I first notice it. I have checked all fuses and nothing. Is thier somthiing that I am missing.

Also the airbag lite on the dash is on.
Mine dont work either. They havent in 5 years.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Only dis asymbled the sterring colum! Nothing electrical.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you spin the steering wheel when the collum was dissassembled?

All of the wiring that connects to the airbag and radio controls goes through the same spot in the collum (the SIR coil...supplemental inflatable restraint...air bag) and it can only rotate so many times in each direction. If the collum was dissconnected from the rest of your steering system and you rotated the wheel, you did damage to that wiring and you'll need to take the airbag and wheel off in order to remove the coil from the car and replace it with a new one...there are instructions in the FSM that explain how to make sure it is installed correctly (you can't just drop the new one in, you could damge it's wiring too).
Old 01-11-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i bet your right mike, only thing is that is not the first time I pulled the car off the chassis and I have never seen any wires running off of the steering colum. I am gone to take another look tommorw on a lift and see what I can find.
ONe more thing what is FSM
Thanks
Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

The wiring isn't in the engine bay. It comes out of the collum inside of the car, it just connects the wires from the steering wheel to the inside of the dash...think about it, there's wiring in the collum for the cruise control, wipers, turn signals, high beams, hazard flashers, air bag, wheel controls...but the only wiring in that collum inside the car that needs to be able to sustain a lot of motion is the wiring going all the way into the steering wheel (air bag and radio controls)...if you disconnect it from the steering rack in the engine bay, and it spun, then that wiring inside the car was damaged. You won't find anything by putting the car on a lift, you need to remove the air bag from the steering wheel, and then remove the steering wheel from the collum (be careful with the air bag, follow the manual for instructions)...you'll do it all while sitting in the drivers seat.

FSM is "factory service manual".
Old 01-12-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, man!
Could I look in the chiltons manual?
or Haynes?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

They're not gonna cut it for some of the specific stuff you need from the factory service manual...they're good for warning you to lock the collum and not spin the wheel when the steering is disconnected...but they aren't going to have all the details you need on wiring and SIR coil type stuff.