Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help putting together my system (Circuit City employee)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help putting together my system (Circuit City employee)

I have put this aside for too long.... I'm looking for a whole system. Got an 02 Z28, M6 if it matters, and I work at Circuit City but not in the car audio sales or install departments. Honestly, I don't trust those guys all that much, at least at my store. Me on the other hand, I've hardwired a head unit into my old Integra and speakers before, so that must count for something, right? I have some sweet employee discounts on Polk, Kicker, Eclipse and Bazooka. I'd prefer to limit my purchases from those brands, but some things like a sub box I'm willing to get from other places.

I listen to mostly all sorts of rock... alternative, hard rock.... some punk, grunge and metal. I also listen to a little bit of hip-hop and rap, none of that mainstream stuff though. I want it to sound real good, at all sorts of volumes, hit hard for the hip-hop, yet sound clear for vocals, etc. I rarely, if ever crank it up to the point where it hurts my ears.

For my head unit, just want something that enhances the sound, and looks pretty nice. I also have an iPhone so if I could connect it to the head unit that would be nice, and a USB slot/input would be cool too. May get satellite radio in the future,but not a requirement. Preferably a 3-band EQ, costs < $200 not including various accessories for iPod inputs, etc. I read the FAQ and it said the Monsoon system is 2-ohms, supposedly most speakers are 4-ohms or something?

I honestly have no idea about amps and how much they cost and why the more expensive one is or isn't better, so bear with me.... I've read up on it but it was months ago and it kinda went over my head. From what I've learned all it does it make your music louder, and you need the amp's total power to match the total output of all your speakers combined, sub too? I'm probably content with a 10" sub, or maybe 2 in the back, with the box(es) being where the 12-disc changer goes. I need trunk space, theres not enough already as it is.

Setup will probably be a Sony or Pioneer HU, Polk speakers all around, [unknown] amp(s), and Kicker sub(s) in a stealth box, possibly on both sides. I'll also put a square of Dynamat around each speaker, plus the driver's door has a rattle so I'll put some there if I can find the rattle. Hows that sound? I found out we use 6.5 speakers all around from out store's part look-up, but don't our cars use 4" speakers in the rear deck? Or will 6.5s fit too?

What about a larger alternator too? Don't know how hard it is to install on an F-Body but I don't want my alternator to die on me. Just throwing out some ideas here.... let me know what you guys think. if any of my CCity brothers wanna chime in, I'll trust some random stranger over the internet more than those clowns back there at my store.

Last edited by I Go To Costco; 01-29-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added more brands
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

go with a pioneer hu and the kicker subs. the kicker compvr's are a great all around model. you will need an amp for your sub and prob your speakers if you want to hear your music clearly over your sub.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend going with the Polk stuff you can get (used to be a CC employee the discount is killer). Id recommend getting the polk momo speakers and the momo 4 channel amp, it would sound awesome. Sub setup I personally find kickers to be muddy and I went with polk subs as well.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
I would recommend going with the Polk stuff you can get (used to be a CC employee the discount is killer). Id recommend getting the polk momo speakers and the momo 4 channel amp, it would sound awesome. Sub setup I personally find kickers to be muddy and I went with polk subs as well.
true on the muddy kickers. they are mostly for SPL output. i had two Cvx's in my car and with rap were loud as hell but rock was disappointing to say the least.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I got a bad batch but I would stay away from the polk momo subs....They didnt stand up near as good as other better priced subs I have had...Only sub I have had in my life that I had to have it repaired 2 times...Ya i abuse my subs a bit but not to the extent that its gonna be blown....ran diff subs on the same setup twice as long with no probs...i dunno about the momo speakers I have never had em and wont be buying them. I have heard they are pretty good though
Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i beat on the momos but wasnt pushin em to the max, then my buddy got em ran 1200 on em for over a year then sold em to some other kid and now some other kid has em still runnin strong
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Mite be true. I just wont run em again....like I said maybe I got a dud or somethin
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Got Eclipse subs? They've got some pretty nice ones. Though it depends what kind of box (and thus the size of the box) you'll use.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

my only problem with the eclipse stuff is they dont have an amp strong enough for their own woofers. i also work at circuit city for the past 5 yrs. im about to order for my camaro and im going with a pioneer or alpine headunit, kicker rs components in the doors and sails, l7 8 in a box ill build for the side compartment and either the 700.5 or the 500.1 and 350.4
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Kicker is a terrible choice unless you listen to rap and all you care about is SPL. They're distortion machines.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

in a small sealed enclosure they're not bad. yes in a huge box all they do is hit deep but sloppy. in a small sealed box i have found them pretty damn accurate and good sounding{atleats the 8's and 10's}. i do agree on the distortion, but not in all cases.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Default really?!

dude you can't be raggin on the installers of circuit, it'll give all of us bad names. I work at CC as well and if you're not careful; i'm pretty sure its a terminable offense to slander the company's quality of work, at least as another associate...now i'm not trying to defend them (even if they aren't the most reliable) but just be careful how you say stuff like that on a public forum. we just had 2 associates fired because of this sort of thing. even if you don't trust them to perform your installs.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed at a circuit city for over a year, and IMO some stores have great installers and others Id avoid like the plague
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

so true pent. i get calls from other circuitcity's as far away as florida for problems they cant figure out{im in louisiana}. i look at it like i learned on my own to get where i am, so i take pride in myself. circuit just provides me a paycheck and a means for showing my talents without starving when slow times hit. other installers{who dont deserve the title} could care less about their quality.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Default Ya know whats great about our cars ...

You can put in just about anything OK and or better equipment and have a great system as the f body's are easy as it gets to get good sound in.
Pick any speaker 2way or step up to seperates in the front
Thats where you really go for quality in the front.
put in rears spkers They are really fill.
add any sub system with good power.
Get a head unit with the features and style you like look at crutchfield to see what head units you like and I can promise you will get feedback here if you pick a dud.
any amp configuration you like is great you need at least 5 good channels.
What I like: Head Units are too personal I have a sony with the TFT video screen
I have a 4 channel amp to run my front and rear channels
and a single amp running 2 10" Subs in a qforms prebuilt box
Iuse a cross over to manage the freqs to the amps (although the radio and the amps have cross-overs they really suck in most built in xovers)

I left out all the brand names as most of the stuff out therer is pretty good see what you can get support for in your area and again we will be happy to send ya the thumbs up or down on YOUR choices
Thats my best advice.
L
Old 02-08-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
dude you can't be raggin on the installers of circuit, it'll give all of us bad names. I work at CC as well and if you're not careful; i'm pretty sure its a terminable offense to slander the company's quality of work, at least as another associate...now i'm not trying to defend them (even if they aren't the most reliable) but just be careful how you say stuff like that on a public forum. we just had 2 associates fired because of this sort of thing. even if you don't trust them to perform your installs.
I hope you are not serious. If you are, what they are doing is quite illegal. To the OP, DO NOT GET YOUR STUFF INSTALLED AT CC, BB, OR ANY OF THOSE STORES. Why? Because most (not all) of their installers are just getting into the biz, and getting paid low-dollar. Not many of them are MECP certified, or are knowlegeable about their field. They just get paid to put in replacement head units and speakers into minivans day in and day out.
What I would do is start reading. Go to: http://bcae1.com/ and start educating yourself. Start reading various forums, and finding how-to's. Then after a month of researching and educating yourself, buy some equipment and install it. Take your time, don't rush to get it all done at once. Read Chilton's or Haynes manuals to learn how the interior panels come apart so you don't end up breaking stuff. Treat this as a hobby and take it one step at a time. Since you have the sweet discount, you can take your time trying out different equipment, and building different enclosures for your car. Have fun!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

It pisses me off when ppl say every circuit city or bestbuy sucks, they all dont. Some stores have great installers others have horriable
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Well it's all about level of install as for as a head, 4 speakers and a sub correctly mounted it is done everyday pretty sucessfully.
Not everyone should do there own install as my 20+ years in the biz will tell you some folks need to turn it over to someone else.
As for doing it yourself this car might be one of the best there is for you work with, the pop out head install, and simple car to wire.
Now if you plan to buy quality equipment and keep a car for a long time develop a relationship with a local shop that does good work. This would be my choice if I didn't do my own.
I am sure you can get info from local folk, internet and so forth before you go make a deal.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Snootch
I hope you are not serious. If you are, what they are doing is quite illegal.
Unfortunately, it's not. Especially in states that have "at will" employment laws such as Florida - you can be terminated for any reason or even without a reason (as long as it doesn't involve discrimination of a protected group). The reason I say protected group is because some so-called discriminatory practices aren't that under the law. For example there are more and more companies that are firing smokers based on increased health care costs.

But courts have upheld that companies have the right to protect their image and "good name" by terminating employees who discredit them - even in their off time. They've even upheld terminations based on off work behavior (think "street racing") if it can be shown that it adversely affects the company's reputation.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i work at best buy and i know our car installers and they are nice guys and they know their stuff. its all different store to store though. at BB you have to be good to get the job. at least here in mich. you do