Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is anyone running 6x9's or 5x7's

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is anyone running 6x9's or 5x7's

I'm just wondering if anyone is running these size speakers in the hatch rather than the crappy 4" stockers. I'm thinking I would like to put a nice set of 6x9's in and mount them from the bottom to make it work and use the stock cover to hide it. Any pics would be great. If the 6x9's don't work I'm sure the 5x7's will.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why? If anything, replace them with a better pair of 4" round. You aren't going to get any midbass or bass out of them really....and if you did get more, that isn't exactly the best mounting surface for them.

Is your system currently stock? If not..may want to consider just amping the fronts and forgetting about the hatch.

To answer your question though -- yes, 6x9 speakers have been put there.

Last edited by fredmr39; 02-17-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Default Is anyone running 6x9's or 5x7's

Is anyone running an 8-track player? That's about the same technology as 6x9s.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Is anyone running an 8-track player? That's about the same technology as 6x9s.
Well rather than a smart *** answer, a suggestion as to what can be run back there rather than a sub would be good. It also has to look stock. I would like to see some pics of a system that was done and still is very stealth.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Junkie

4x6"
You want something stealthy, so go get a subthump steath box.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Also part of the reason not going to a sun is because they weigh alot. I will be running my car at the track and in autocross events so every little bit helps.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

fredmr39 had already given you the definitive answer - don't bother replacing them. They are only there for some rear fill not as a primary source. You already have speakers behind you in the sail panels so the small 4" hatch speakers are plenty for providing the small amount of highs to supplement the midbass in the sail panels. If you want more bass, get a sub. If a small sub is too much weight then a pair of 6x9s isn't going to gain you much.

So, I thought a little humor was appropriate. If you can't see the humor then perhaps you need to lighten up a bit.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stingr
Also part of the reason not going to a sun is because they weigh alot. I will be running my car at the track and in autocross events so every little bit helps.
Go with a big hatch box!
That box weighs about 30 pounds then put subs in it!
Make the box weigh 80 pounds with the subs!

& when you go to the track, take the **** out. its that easy!
Just lift it out and place some place else, and when u come home put it back in.
Sounds to me that you want a street race, because its really easy to take the box out.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
fredmr39 had already given you the definitive answer - don't bother replacing them. They are only there for some rear fill not as a primary source. You already have speakers behind you in the sail panels so the small 4" hatch speakers are plenty for providing the small amount of highs to supplement the midbass in the sail panels. If you want more bass, get a sub. If a small sub is too much weight then a pair of 6x9s isn't going to gain you much.

So, I thought a little humor was appropriate. If you can't see the humor then perhaps you need to lighten up a bit.
Oh thats cool I thought you were just being a jerk and not being funny. I can see the humor in it. Your answer was good on this post though.