Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical Issue.. everything dims..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical Issue.. everything dims..

Before anyone says anything

Have checked negative post on battery have checked ground to chasis..

the problem occurs when I blip the throttle, when the revs are coming back down everything dims for a sec in the car.. all lights, accessories ect.. also when I started my car up tonight I looked at the floor mat and saw a faint dimming at idle that is only noticeable on the interior lights (so little that looking at the light you cant tell you have to look at what its hitting)

Any suggestions what to check Im taking electrical II for automotive in school right now and something tells me grounding issue but wanted to see if anyone else had input before I go printing diagrams up at school
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a new battery it might not be holding a charge well.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine has been doing that for the past year or so.. i didnt really notice it until i put my blue gauge leds in.. i thought my alternator might be the issue, but its still running strong. mine mostly does it on a cold start up. i push about 16-17volts on a cold morning, and about 14volts during normal operating temps
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

I am having a similar issue as well. While driving do you loose all gages and then some come back up and a min later the rest comes up but it does it often? Also with it my stereo speakers come and go as well dont know if its related or not. My wideband is hooked up through the stereo.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

But I havent checked my battery. Its a new RED TOP Optima, my 2nd one in a tad over a year. My battery gage shows low at times, when it shows good everything runs fine but when it dips to the yellow then all hell breaks loose with the gages.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

battery is 2 mo old red top optima
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

I am starting to hate the Optima batteries
Old 04-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Launching!

An undercharging alternator can have the same effect. Your alternator might only be charging at higher rpms. Try an alternator load test next time you have access.

Good points on checking the battery though. Also, visual and wiggle inspection of the battery terminals can't hurt.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Launching!

had the same problem with mine.. it would even charge sometimes and then it got really worse and wouldnt start. then i decided to just change the battery and sure enough that was the problem.. maybe if its your battery check to see if you can get prorated for a new one if its covered. good luck

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
But I havent checked my battery. Its a new RED TOP Optima, my 2nd one in a tad over a year. My battery gage shows low at times, when it shows good everything runs fine but when it dips to the yellow then all hell breaks loose with the gages.